Access denied for MountainDuck drives

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by JimMeier, Apr 21, 2021.

1. JimMeier

JimMeier Registered Member

On Windows10 20H2 (and in earlier versions as far as I remember) there are access violations when trying to access a windows drive from within a sandbox when the drive was created by MountainDuck 4.5.0 (always current).

Whenever I open an explorer sandboxed and touch such a drive I get a message box saying (translated from german):

Network error \\client\test_directory - WebDAV (HTTPS)\ could not be accessed. You do not have the permission to access \\client\test_directory - WebDAV (HTTPS)\. Call your network administrator to get access.
    Well, the networkadministrator of my cloud may not be interested in my request.

I get the same behavior when trying with any application in a sandbox to save a file on this drive.
    The behavior is the same with WebDAV (magentacloud), ftps (strato) and SMB (fritz box).

Without a sandbox everything works fine. So I start in this forum.

MountainDuck is a paid version of the free software CyberDuck but additionally provides drive letters for cloud space. With Cyberduck sandboxed I do not experience any problems. As far as I know the kernel of CyberDuck and MountainDuck are the same, but with CyberDuck only you stay in CyberDuck whereas with MountainDuck you get access to datasets, directories and drives through the Windows Explorer and MountainDuck/CyberDuck provides the connection to cloud space.

Without a sandbox everything works fine. So I am here in the first place asking for a solution or a workaround.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

What build of Sandboxie are you using?

3. JimMeier

I am using sandboxie 5.49.0 (64-bit).

4. dodo1

dodo1 Registered Member

Have you tried deactivating the option "Block network files and folders, unless specifically opened" in the Box Settings, by any chance?

5. JimMeier

Many thanks to dodo1.

I found BlockNetworkFiles=y in my configuration file. When deleting it, I can list a MountainDuck drive and subfolders.

But I could not find this setting in the help where sandboxie leads me to https://sandboxie-plus.com/sandboxie/HelpTopics/. Maybe this setting is not documented?

In addition I got some different problems with different programs which I have to test out first. A description will follow.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  6. JimMeier

Well, my results were a bit weird. So I decided to create a brand new mailbox “Test_brand_new”.

And my original problem came again, as it is likely with good problems.

- When creating a new sandbox BlockNetworkFiles=y will be set as an initial value.

When further investigating I managed to get similar but not the same results with a simple network drive created with windows explorer only. So we don't need MountainDuck for the first steps, I think. Sorry that the title now is somewhat missleading, but in the end I still want my problems with MountainDuck to be solved.

I will describe here only what I just now see as the basic problems I experience. Test results can be found in attached file "Sandboxie_Mountainduck_first_results.pdf" with the original message boxes included.

Test cases 1 and 2 follow:

Case 1. With BlockNetworkFiles=n

Configuration:
    [Test_brand_new]

BlockNetworkFiles=n
    No Openfilepath specified

Starting Explorer sandboxed

First results for
    - C:\Case1\ (local directory)
    - drive “Test_Sandboxie_MountainDuck (\\MyPCName( (F: )” (drive created by MountainDuck)
    - drive “Test (\\WebDAV.magentacloud.de@SSL\DavWWWRoot) (G: ) (network drive created with windows explorer)

Renaming file C:\Case1\Case1_Rename.txt to file.txt
    - Has been renamed to file.txt
    - In C:\Sandbox\Test_brand_new\drive\C\Case1\ there are files Case1_Rename.txt with 0kb and file.txt with 1kb

Deleting file C:\Case1\Case1_Delete.txt
    - Has been deleted from C:\Case1\
    - in C:\Sandbox\Test_brand_new\drive\C\Case1\ there is file Case1_Delete.txt with 0kb

Renaming file F:\Case1_Rename.txt to file.txt
    - Could not be renamed – Case1_Rename.txt is no valid win32 application.
    - Case1_Rename.txt stays in F:\ with 1kb
    - and is new in C:\Sandbox\Test_brand_new\share\MyPCName\Test_Sandboxie_MountainDuck with 1kb

Deleting file F:\Case1_Delete.txt
    - file has been deleted from F:\
    - and is in sandbox with 0kb

Renaming file G:\Case1_Rename.txt to file.txt
    - Message box “rename file – invalid MS DOS function”
    - Case1_Rename.txt stays in G:\ with 1kb
    - and C:\Sandbox\Test_brand_new\share\webdav.magentacloud.de@SSL\DavWWWRoot\Test exists but is empty
    - and network connection in sandboxed explorer gets lost: networkname could not be found (only in sandboxed explorer)
    - can be recovered only after deleting directory “Test” (from C:\Sandbox\Test_brand_new\share\webdav.magentacloud.de@SSL\DavWWWRoot\Test with an unsandboxed explorer)

Deleting file G:\Case1_Delete.txt
    Message box: “Deleting file – invalid MS DOS function – Case1_Delete.txt”
    - file has not been deleted
    - and C:\Sandbox\Test_brand_new\share\webdav.magentacloud.de@SSL\DavWWWRoot\Test exists but is empty
    - and network connection in sandboxed explorer gets lost: networkname could not be found (only in sandboxed explorer)
    - can be recovered only after deleting directory “Test” (from C:\Sandbox\Test_brand_new\share\webdav.magentacloud.de@SSL\DavWWWRoot\Test with an unsandboxed explorer)

Case 2. With BlockNetworkFiles=n and OpenFilePath=F:\

Configuration:
    [Test_brand_new]

BlockNetworkFiles=n
    OpenFilePath=F:\
    OpenFilePath=G:\
    OpenFilePath=C:\Case2\

Starting Explorer sandboxed

First results for
    - C:\Case2\ (local directory)
    - drive “Test_Sandboxie_MountainDuck (\\MyPCName( (F: )” (drive created by MountainDuck)
    - drive “Test (\\WebDAV.magentacloud.de@SSL\DavWWWRoot) (G: ) (network drive created with windows explorer)

Renaming file C:\Case2\Case2_Rename.txt to file.txt
    - Has been renamed to file.txt (visible in sandbox and actually on C:\Case2\)
    - Nothing in C:\Sandbox\Test_brand_new\ other than user\current\

Deleting file C:\Case2\Case2_Delete.txt
    - Has been deleted (visible in sandbox and actually on C:\Case2\)
    - Nothing in C:\Sandbox\Test_brand_new\ other than user\current\

Renaming file F:\Case2_Rename.txt to file.txt
    - Could not be renamed – Case2_Rename.txt is no valid win32 application.
    - Case2_Rename.txt stays in F:\ with 1kb
    - and is new in C:\Sandbox\Test_brand_new\share\MyPCName\Test_Sandboxie_MountainDuck with 1kb

Deleting file F:\Case2_Delete.txt
    - file has been deleted (visible in sandbox and actually from F:\)
    and is in sandbox with 0kb (what I would not expect with OpenFilePath=F:\

Renaming file G:\Case2_Rename.txt to file.txt
    - Message box “rename file – invalid MS DOS function”
    - Case2_Rename.txt stays in G:\ with 1kb

Deleting file G:\Case2_Delete.txt
    Message box: “element not found – element is no longer in G:\. Check the location of the element and retry”
    - file indeed has been deleted on G:\

Attached Files:

7. JimMeier

Could please anybody have a look on this thread?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.