"Access Denied" (error opening) during scan

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Bizadi, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bizadi

Bizadi Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been covered and I did read the Preliminary questions about NOD32 thread before posting today. Whenever I do a full scan every file has an "... :KAVICHS error opening (Acces Denied) [4]" appendage. Is there a difference between locked files, which I understand from this post, and my "Access Denied" situation?

Is there a way for me to "unlock" all of these processes so that Nod can perform a more thorough scan or am I worrying excessively? Btw, I have no partitions and am the only user of this XP machine. Thanks!:)

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

Are you sure that every file gets this error ?

I would suggest you that you get rid of Kaspersky's ADS (the so called KAVICHS) .

Contact Kaspersky's support support @ kaspersky.com and ask them for klstreamremover.exe to remove KAVICHS . Let them give you instructions to use it . This klstreamremover.exe is known to remove the video card driver on some machines so it will be handy if you keep a copy of your video driver.

Then you can also use this program called ADSSPY
    http://computercops.biz/zx/Merijn/adsspy.zip
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/adsspy.php

Then try again with NOD32 :thumb:

3. Bizadi

Bizadi Registered Member

Well, I don't know if every possible file gets this error but Nod's Scanning Log shows KAVICHS errors on all but 2 locked files:
    C:\hiberfil.sys
    C:\pagefile.sys

Also, you apparently can no longer just e-mail Kaspersky; you must now fill out a Technical Support form.

4. Bizadi

Bizadi Registered Member

Info. from the Official Kaspersky Lab forum

I posted on KL's official forum to see if I could get KLStreamRemover online and "Skywalker" referred me to this KL Tech Support troubleshooting article.

Kaspersky forum thread.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Ok , follow the instructions of Kaspersky's support page and use the KAVICH's removal tool .

1. To use KAV's tool , extract the zip file into C:\
    goto Start->Run->type
    C:\KLStreamRemover.exe -r

2. Use ADSSpy as per the instructions I gave you.

3. Read the FAQ (the first in the list about [4] Locked files):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=150856

4. If you have no issues with v3 , I recommend you that you install v3 of ESET Antivirus
    http://www.eset.com/products/nod32.php
    http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

6. Bizadi

Bizadi Registered Member

There is one step in Kaspersky's instructions that I do not understand:

"Unzip the archive in the root catalogue of the section where you are planning to clear the streams"

- - What do they mean by "root catalogue of the section"? Do I just go to Start->Run-> and then type C:\KLStreamRemover.exe -r ?

I've got an updated backup for my video card, just in case.

Thanks again or your help.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You got an answer for this in the Kaspersky forum . Haven't you read it ...??

This means in the root of C:\ (e.g. in the main C:\ but in no folder , just in C:\)

Yes

8. Bizadi

Bizadi Registered Member

(re: Root catalogue): Yes I did but I did not fully understand the reply. Also, I was not able to access the Kaspersky forum last night, which is why I asked here. Sorry to have bothered you.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No problem.

What happened , did you run the tools ?

10. Bizadi

Bizadi Registered Member

Not yet. I just ordered ESET Smart Security and just received my username & password. I'll be busy with that installation for awhile and will post back if KAVICHS is still a problem (the ESET rep. said that it would not be an issue with Nod 3.0).

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Installing ESS and cleaning the ADS (a.k.a the KAVICHs) are two different thing , btw

12. Bizadi

Bizadi Registered Member

Well, I ran KLStreamRemover as well as ADS Spy and then did my first full scan with Nod v3. I still see a lot of KAVICHS errors, for example in:

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\9040111900063D11C8EF10054038389C\11.0.5614\ADDRPARS.DLL:KAVICHS - error opening

C:\Program Files\ArcSoft\PhotoStudio 5.5\Plug-ins\FILTERS\3D TEXT FACTORY\abc3d1.avv:KAVICHS - error opening

I'm running KLStreamRemover.exe again to see if it missed any of these. I will do another ADS Spy scan and then a new Nod v3 scan and see if this improves. I suppose I should start a new thread in the Version 3 forum.

Oh, I also called Eset tech support and the engineer that I spoke with had never heard of KAVICHS and told me to ask about it here. Kind of a waste of time, although I do understand that KAVICHS is not really their problem - I just hoped that they had encountered it before.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This is because this is Kaspersky issue.

IMO not all files should be marked as locked (it may be due to the KAVICHs) but you may read what error-opening/file locked error is in the FAQ
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=150856

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.