Acceptable Files on External HD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by frankvan, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankvan

frankvan Registered Member

I seem to remember reading somewhere that we can't have regular user files on an external hd in order to be able to put a True Image there. Is this true?

Frank

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I’m afraid you’ll have to be more specific; this doesn’t sound like anything I’ve ever heard.
    What are “regular user files”? What do you mean by “a True Image”?
    A TI image file (.tib) can be put anywhere files of any type can be put. Cloning a drive, on the other hand, will erase all data on the target drive.

3. frankvan

I keep my files of music and pictures on the external drive. I'm asking that if I take a full image backup of the internal drive, will I have a problem saving it on the external drive. Your response seems to suggest that it's a no - no.

Frank

4. TheWeaz

The only problem you would have is if there is not enough space on the external to hold the image file.
    CLONING is a completely different matter.

"Your response seems to suggest that it's a no - no"
    Not at all.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

TrueImage backup software creates backup files with an extension ".tib". These files vary in size controllable by the user during creation of backup. These files can be stored almost anywhere including an other hard drive (internal or external), and on CD or DVD's.

Your comments may relate to the fact that you should have multiple types of backup media when storing your backup files. An external drive can become infected with a virus or cease to work mechanically. If this is your only storage, then you have a crisis. An external drive is an excellent choice but it should not be your only choice. Having the backup files on additional devices (DVD & other internal or network drives or online )increases your ability to restore if things go bad.

How much space is used on your Drive C? TrueImage will compress at about 50% compression, so you can easily determine how much space will be consumed on your external drive and number of backup it can store.

TheWeaz was giving you a definite "yes", you can use the external for storage. Just remember, using the external should not be your only choice for storage.

6. frankvan

Sorry, I don't think I used the right verbiage in my posting. If "cloning" means a full picture of the internal hard drive, that was what I'm asking about to put on an external hard drive that has other files stored on it. I haven't installed True Image so I'm having some problems with the terminology.

Frank

7. TheWeaz

8. frankvan

Will do - thanks for the suggestion and to the others for their comments.

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.