About Truecrypt boot loader

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by kuka00, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuka00

kuka00 Registered Member

I'm thinking of encrypting my laptop system. I know that i can remove the encryption it anytime, but my question is (since I may have to reinstall windows, install a linux OS or something like that): does that get rid of the TC boot loader?
    In simple terms: can I go back to the way things were before, or is that somewhat complicated?

Kinda unrelated question: why can't TC encrypt an existing partition without formating it? Encrypting an existing windows partition sounds more complicated...

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I tried Truecrypt a few weeks ago and was not too impressed. I burned a lot of CDs trying to get it working the way I wanted.

why not make an image of your system now - before you try Truecrypt and then you can install and remove it to answer your own question. Then if you don't like Truecrypt you can restore your old system as though nothing happened.

I tried 4 other porograms before I found http://www.securstar.com/home.php
    drivecrypt plus. None of the others would let me make a system image. With DriveCrypt plus I can image with Acronis 11 which is impotant to me as I feel there is more cahnce that I will mess up my pc than there is that it will be stolen or lost.

3. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

TrieCrypt is great, backuping with TrueImage 8 server works just fine.
    You can decrypt the HDD on any time what removes the TC bootloader, you can run fixmbr from any windows boot CD to remove the bootloader, or just reinstall windows i presume that also makes fixmbr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.