About Signatures ..

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stimulator32, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stimulator32

stimulator32 Registered Member

Hello moderators,

What is the preclusion from adding old undetected viruses' signatures to ESET's database?

Why your labs' insist that old ones (historical ones as some moderators like to say) should not be added to the detection?

Time and again I sent such viruses, and ESET was snoring ! Per contra, when I had sent such viruses to other labs on one occasion, they sent me a thanking message, and told me that the detection will be added to the database !

Another query about this issue, what is the meaning of "ONLY ITW VIRUSES WILL BE ADDED TO THE DATABASE" !!!!!!!!!!

Does that mean that a limited (not widespread) active virus will not harm my operating system ?!! And whenever my machine is infected by non-ITW virus, I should not look for solution from ESET, cos submitting such viruses to ESET is time-wasting ?

The last question, what do the numbers after malwares' names in the update list at ESET's site mean? (i.e: win32/conficker (3), does that mean three signatures detect three worms, or one sig. detects three worms ?)

Many Thanks In Advanced ..

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I have no clue as to where you heard that, but that's not true. Any samples that work on nowadays operating systems are added.

3. stimulator32

stimulator32 Registered Member

And what about the other questions (the historical viruses and the number after the virus's name) ?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The first part of the question has actually been answered:
    As for the numbers listed after the threat names, they represent the number of signatures added for the given threat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.