About purevpn.com - testing l2tp

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dr_web, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr_web

dr_web Registered Member

I just check http://www.purevpn.com
    It seems they provide USA UK and Canada IP
    I gonna get test from them and also see if l2tp works well with
    Anybody has any experience with them

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Sorry......no thank you.......

Why would I want a VPN with a USA or UK IP address? For privacy purposes? HA!

3. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Unless you are using IPSec, your L2TP connection is unencrypted. Unencrypted = Not Anonymous.

4. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

You need an US IP in order to watch US TV for free, some chanels stream some stuff online but inly for US citizens

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Re: About purevpn.com

Hi David,

Actually, I didn't phrase what I meant right. The PureVPN site talks about its use for security, privacy, etc. They don't come out , at least on the front page of the site, and talk about the uses you described, so that's why I said what I did. I should have phrased it like, "Why would you want a USA or UK IP for privacy? Ha!" Because you're right, whether they advertise it or not, it would allow someone to use the U.S. IP to watch Hulu, etc. and with the UK IP, one could watch certain live streaming BBC TV programming. But, even with that, Hulu has just about all the IP blocks for all these paid services blocked. But you are right and I should have written it differently because it lessens what I meant as well, and that's the joke of a privacy service using US and UK IP addresses for privacy. I would stick with Xerobank for that.

6. dr_web

dr_web Registered Member

Well Not just TV ,
    My business is so that I have to travel a lot abroad and visit many countries.
    So having dedicated IP from USA or UK has most benefits for me specially when I want to do access websites which has strong IP detection.
    Using their service has benefits of security and fixed IP for me
    btw I bought USA dedicated IP from http://www.Purevpn.com and l2tp/ipsec works well for me
    Please share your experience too
    Thx

7. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Registered Member

its not a security solution, it providing a niche 'get around content restriction'. they are a dime a dozen and there are quite a few VPN providers whom offer it, FileShareFreak did a recent blog article on it here.

If you are looking for a VPN solution look for one that offers countries like Netherlands, Canada, Hong Kong, Russia, etc, other than the US and UK.

8. dr_web

dr_web Registered Member

Wold you mind tell me what is the difference between l2tp and ipsec and also how we can find out http://Purevpn.com offering ipsec or not because they offer both pptp and l2tp I'm not sure about ipsec.

Thank you

9. SteveTX

L2TP stands for Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol. It allows you to create a VPN link through a tunnel between two computers. It has no inherent encryption built into the protocol, it is only the connection between the two machines. To get encryption with L2TP, you need IPSec inside the L2TP tunnel.

IPSec is a Layer 3 Protocol that performs encryption for IP communication.

So first you establish the L2TP connection, then you have to establish the IPSec connection to the server inside the tunnel so that it is encrypted. If you don't, it isn't. How do you know if you have encryption? You either are using a pre-shared encryption key, or each machine has an encryption certificate. Didn't get those? You aren't encrypted.

PPTP is an obsolete vpn protocol that supports data encryption. However, if your PPTP connection is interrupted, such as if you use a wireless connection, your data is no longer encrypted and starts leaking outside your VPN onto your regular connection, typically without notifying you of it.

L2TP with IPSec is hard to implement for users and on the server. PPTP should be avoided for extra-network communications security, and is useless for anonymity.

And to answer your final question, how do you know if purevpn has encryption? Simple. The answer is right here:

http://purevpn.com/config/xp/img/13.gif

They don't.

10. SteveTX

cripes, i forgot to bottom-line.

bottom-line: L2TP and PPTP are not suitable for anonymity, unless the L2TP connection definitely uses IPSec.

11. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

12. caspian

caspian Registered Member

13. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

IT must work, just be pacient, imageshack is under a a bit heavy lad so it will take some time till th eimage appears

14. box750

box750 Registered Member

L2TP relies on the encryption protocol that it passes within the tunnel to provide privacy but It does not provide any encryption or confidentiality by itself.

In addition I have not been able to find out in PureVPN.com website for how long logs are kept.

If they could provide OpenVPN instead, and make clear their logs policy they would be more likely to get my custom.

15. dr_web

dr_web Registered Member

I was also curious about their logs policy
    I found it in their Privacy Policy at : http://www.purevpn.com/term.php
    it says:
    "...We do not log any user activity (sites visited, DNS lookups, emails etc.) We only log access attempts to our servers (for security and troubleshooting), session durations and bandwidth used...."
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.