About OpenDNS if I use a proxy server

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

My ISP which is ETISALAT in Dubai routes all its customer's connections through their proxy server: proxy1.emirates.net.ae port: 8080

even if I don't enter any proxy settings in my browser, somehow the connections still route through their proxy.

Is it true that in my case, no matter what DNS Servers I define for my router manually in the router configuration (I have a linksys E1000) or in Windows TCP/IP / Network Adapter Settings, I will still be using Etisalat's DNS and not the OpenDNS or Google DNS that I have set??

Well if that is true, then why is it that when I do set an alternate DNS server on my own and run a program called namebench, it actually detects that I am using a different DNS server and tells me that my ISPs default DNS servers are like 70% faster than the ones I am currently using?

I thought it should be the oppoosite way round

I am confused with this really

hope someone can shed some light

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Nervermind, I read an article that using DNS serveers other than your ISP if you are not living in the USA is a bad idea

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's not necessarily a bad idea, but everything goes through your ISP anyways so they will almost always give you the fastest response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.