About MalWareBytes?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i just downloaded a program call mbam and it looks lite and fast;) i scan my pc but didnt find anything:) is this antispyware good at detecting rouges and spywares?thanks i tried to find videos in youtube and google video about test reviews but didnt find anything,any recomendations?is there a trial for full realtime protection?and how is the real time shield at blocking malware?thanks in advance;)
    note:found some videos just now it is promising:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxDCFqeYE&feature=related

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. Ronin12

Ronin12 Registered Member

MBAM is very good at removing a lot of the tough rogues and spyware. It's real time protection could be improved. If you do not get the full paid version I would recommend keeping it on your system as an on demand scanner. Another program to consider is SuperAntiSpyware. Both of these programs are well known and are two of the best at dealing with many different types of spyware. They are also fast and very light on most systems.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks and what about the real time shield of compare to those mention?thanks again,i want to buy some thing for my wife's laptop;)
    thanks again,do you if any of those have promotional discount at the moment?thanks

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You could save yourself some bucks.

Just use SAS/MB as an on-demand scanner, then add Sandboxie Free and a non-IE Browser and this setup should take care of most spyware threats.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is for my wife and she doesnt want any sandbox type prgram:D so i was thinking os some easy real time shield

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello jmonge.

What is the operating system?

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is xp home edition service pack 2

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Sorry about the delay. I got stuck with something.

Still haven't updated to SP3? Any special reason of why not?

So, I believe the web browser will be Internet Explorer? Or any other?

For now, I'll give my suggestions, in what comes to browsing protection. For what you say, I'll assume that you and your wife wish something to protect the best possible, but, that won't be much of a hassle to work with?

I'd honestly not buy Malwarebytes. I'd use it, only as an on-demand scanner.

My first two suggestions, if we're talking about Internet Explorer, and perhaps IE7, then, if not already done, I'd suggest to turn on DEP for it as well. This will help mitigate buffer overflows.

Now, to improve IE7's protection, I'd add both SpywareBlaster and Spybot - Search & Destroy. Regarding Spybot, opt out for TeaTimer, unless you think your wife is able to interpret an alert from it, whenever it may appear. If not, opt out.

Why am I suggesting these two antispyware/other malware tool?

SpywareBlaster will use no resources of whatsoever. And, it will help protect the system, by protecting it where it matters the most - Internet Explorer.

Spyware Blaster will add malicious domain entries to IE restricted sites, also block tracking cookie and will prevent the installation of spyware and other forms of malware by setting kill-bits.

If you and your wife don't choose to pay for automatic updates, she's gonna have to manually update it. One time after connecting and one after disconnecting from the Internet, just in case. That way, she's assured it will keep it updated.

Spybot - Search & Destroy, without TeaTimer module, will protect in a similar way, but it will also add entries to the HOSTS file.

Again, manual upadates and reimmunization (with browser closed) are needed.

One other tool I like to use to protect my browser sessions, when I use IE, and I do it quite often, is HauteSecure. It's a mixture of sandbox (not like Sandboxie, DefenseWall...), light behavior blocker/HIPS and malicious domain blocking. It's possible to register and to create your own blocklists or to subscribe, freely, to other lists. I'd only subscribe to the ones provided by HauteSecure team. At the moment, it is not possible to check what the lists contain, so, better not subscribe any others, though is possible to unsusbcribe at any time.

But, the reason why I use it, is not malicious domain blocking (for me, that comes as a little extra). The main reason I use it, is because, it will protect Internet Explorer security settings against unauthorized changes.

If you're willing to pay for some protection, and considering your wife does not want sandboxies alike Sandboxie, etc., perhaps, ZoneAlarm ForceField would become a good asset? It is easy to work with, and will do it's job.
    It's a matter to try it first (15-day trial period) and then decide whether or not to buy it.

I don't use it. I did try to install it yesterday on a system, but, not compatible with IE 8 RC.

One other tool that I do use and I am very pleased with it, is LinkScanner Pro. I no longer use the stand alone version, as my license ended, but, AVG 8 Free now included the full version of it. I installed it and just kept the LinkScanner module and disabled real-time protection of the antivirus module.

Or if an option, your wife could run AVG 8 Free and have it all.

I got to go now for a bit, and consider along with your wife (the user that will benefit from such) what she will think of it. If easy or not to work with, etc.

I almost forgot, and will later place a link, it is also possible to place of entries in IE's restricted sites, using one tool for effect. It will make it possible to block access to more malicious domains.

Regards

9. Ronin12

Ronin12 Registered Member

I believe that in testing SAS has shown to have better real time protection. They do have a 30 day trial so that you can test it out. There is also the special to purchase it for 19.95 which will give you a lifetime license.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks alot for advises:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap my browser is IE and my xp2,when i tried to install the service pack3 but experience couple of freeze ups so i decided to stay away from it and now it is ok fast and smooth:thumb: and yes i also use spyware blaster:thumb: thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  12. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I run MBAM, SAS, and GMER now and again if I feel the urge or need. However, I do not keep any of them installed.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool:thumb: yeah i tried this one before and i also clean a very infested pc using this free utility and i imagine the real time shield it must be a good spyware stoper:thumb: thanks for the advise and yes 20 bucks sounds very good discount from 40:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.