About Kaspersky?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Biscuit, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    choice is good
    if everyone liked the same thing or same person it would be a boring world and hardly anyone would be happy.

2. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Well... There are fanboys for almost every AV app out there :D I agree though, nothing makes me tune out commentary faster than unobjective commentary!

No, its not perfect, and even if it was for Person A, it will not be for Person B.

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

agreed Every user's computer / usage is different from one and other.

4. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I'm one of those who were burnt by Kaspersky.

This is my single anecdote, fwiw. Nobody needs to get defensive. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad product. It just didn't play well with my system.

I downloaded and installed. It started tagging my every single file (I didn't know this at the time). Doing a CSV-compile of a big source tree proved to be really painfully slow (I don't know why).

Then after a few days, it turned itself off. I did nothing manually, the on-demand engine just stopped protecting the system. No warning, no pop-up, no error nothing.

The application kept coming up and appearing on the system tray, updating and everything, but it wasn't protecting the system.

I was happily going about my business for two days before I noticed that this was the case. So of course, I tried to solve it.

I tried getting help from the Kaspersky forum and all I got was 'excuse this' , 'excuse that', 'it's a problem due to XXYY, not our software'.

Daunted and tired, I gave up.

Uninstalled and have been using other software ever since. Maybe better, maybe worse, but at least it has worked on my system (and many subsequent systems after that).

I find also that K's handling of the windows internal routines and the resulting BSODs and other errors, has been, IMHO, less than exemplary so far.

This is not to say that other companies and products are automatically better or don't have problems.

I'm personally looking at moving away from another product, but I will not touch Kaspersky products myself anymore, because personally I don't trust that their products work with my needs, my software and my system. For me, a security app needs to reduce my computer problems - not create new ones that I need to deal with.

YMMV, caveat emptor, imho, etc.

PS if you want to dig, you can find similar type of anecdotes for almost any security app there, so you need to ask yourself which one of those cases reflect _your_ particular situation and needs the most. Then those anecdotes can possibly offer you some clues as to how to decide, if anything.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wont get defensive but around 95percent of problems with a new av is remaindents of an older av getting in the way and causing conflicts.

6. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

KIS2009 is working great for me and has been since it was released. I've got no complaints whatsoever and really cannot think of any reason why I would want to change to another app. Getting a free 3 user 1 year license from my bank helps too.

So sorry - no anecdotes here. Just a great piece of software IMHO.

7. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Just some feedback to the group.

I got seriously burnt with my wholesale switchover to Kaspersky. I installed Total Space on my server & workstations, KIS2009 on my laptop & KMS on my smartphone.

The the server products caused short of memory notifications & broke my server monitoring & reporting. KAV8 on the workstations seriously slowed down the computers & was far too noisy (even with notifications turned off) - often requiring reboots after an update. KIS2009 on the laptop was noisy, slowed down the laptop & had too many popups. It also required too many reboots. KMS on my smartphone was a disaster & completely broke my Internet access.

I'm back with Nod32.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kav for workstations is kav 6 btw.
    kav8 for workstations is going in to beta soon.
    its rare for an update that needs a reboot. thats only for IDS and hotfixes.
    i assume you contacted kaspersky and asked them to help you resolve the issues you were having?

9. Biscuit

Sorry, I only remembered that the version was older than 2009.

I tried to contact Kaspersky via the support forums & reseller support but have not had a response 1 week later regarding my urgent server problems.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

maybe you can pm one of the KL staff on the KL forums to see if they can chase it up?

11. icr

icr Registered Member

Will i m new to Kaspersky and don't know much about it earlier i used BDTS 2009 after series of never ending problemso_O i gave up and i have switched to KIS 2009 trial version its ok till now no problems till encountered so m very happy:argh: :argh:

12. Biscuit

Thanks, there is no urgency in this now as I have uninstalled Kaspersky.

I have noted however that my server monitoring reports now include something called the Kaspersky Event viewer. I would like to remove this item.

13. splicer707

splicer707 Registered Member

+1

Had exactly the same problems. Logged requests for help from Kaspersky and got no reply in two cases and then on the third instance I did get a reply telling me it must be how my computer is setup.

Either way. I wasn't able to get a refund so I now use NOD32 which is great and I'm stuck with a license of KAV for another 22 months. :thumbd:

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Very good choice :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.