About Ghostwall...

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by SwordOfSecurity, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

well here are a few basic questions about ghostwall...i just found out about it a while ago, and i must say i am very impressed!! however, i am still stuck with a few questions that i hope can be answered which are:

1. - about how much memory does ghostwall use? (i know it uses very low already, but could anybody give me a general idea on how much it uses? [a number]).

2. - just curious, but what's the approximate date for the release of the new updated ghostwall?

3. - well i'm sort of a network noob when it comes to manually setting firewall rules, so i was wondering if anybody could give me a few tips on what i should allow/block.

4. - also, are the default rule settings allowing and blocking most of the key elements a firewall should? or do i have to manually configure them so that they will? and if i do have to manually configure them, is it possible the next update for ghostwall could include some default rule settings that help a network noob out in deciding what to rules i should make on what?

5. - does ghostwall protect itself? i've seen several good firewalls out there give self-protection since firewalls have been the choice of target before by hackers, viruses, and other malicious threats.

6. - i've read about the issue concering outbound protection, and i just HAD to pop this in...are you really considering it at all? (a basic, simple one at least?).

any help posted will be appreciated greatly!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

#1 on my system less than 4,000 K.

3. SwordOfSecurity

*bump* anyone else care to help answer a few of the questions? i'm hoping for a few answers to them since it would help me decide whether i want to use it or not.

4. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Re: Few Questions on GhostWall...

684K on this old AMD K6 2/450 notebook.

Only Jason can answer this one. IIRC he did give a rough time line of his development plans in another thread, which one escapes me now.

I don't see what being a network noob has to do with setting up Ghostwall. However the default rules are really comprehensive and adequate for most situations, with the exception of plugging in your ISP's DNS server(s) IP address(es).

See above for my comments about the default rules. Here again, only Jason can answer this one. However by looking at what is blocked you can adjust/create you rules as needed.

No it does not. However if you run AppDefend or something similar it can be protected.

If you have read all threads concerning this you have read Jason's comments/feelings about this issue/feature, my take is 'don't hold your breath. After all there is AppDefend that does a good job of controlling this.

I know some of the answers are not what you are looking for, but that is how I see things.

5. SwordOfSecurity

Any Compatibility Issues?

well i'm just wondering if ghostwall has any compatibility issues i should know about. is there a list of programs that work fine with it that anybody has or something? i'm using avast! free, ms antispyware, and spybot SD teatimer and am curious whether it would cause any sort of conflicts at all with any of them.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

SwordOfSecurity,

I have merged your recently started thread with your ongoing thread. It's best if you have only one thread going concerning these questions.

Regards,
    Bubba

7. SwordOfSecurity

sorry about that bubba (forgot my forum common sense when posting that one :p) and thanks disciple for the help. if anybody else could give me insight on the compatibility issues (posted previously in this thread), i would be greatful

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi, I am running GW on fourdifferent setups.
    Laptop AMD 1900 XP SP2 with KAV 5, AdAware pro and RD - Browser IE and FF
    Laptop AMD Turion 1.6 dual boot XP and X64, ! am still configuring security setup but this laptop does not normally access the net only the LAN and uses GW as a precaution ;)
    AMD 2600 PC with XP SP2, Mail washer, Giant(MS) AS, F-Prot, GSS beta - Browser IE & Avant
    AMD Dual core 4400, X64, NOD32/64bit, AdAware. - Browser Opera

I have seen no incompatabilities an any of these PCs. Mem and peak mem usage here is about 4,100K in 32bit, lower in 64Bit

HTH Pilli :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.