abc.com new video player doesnt work with IMON on

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by armyofda12mnkeys, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armyofda12mnkeys

armyofda12mnkeys Registered Member

just sent a support ticket as me and my sister have different machines but same problem. Can someone confirm they have same issue?

Here is my support tickets describing problem, maybe someone hear might help them solve it as well if mass problem:

-----Original Message-----
    I actually duplicated my sisters problem(same problem as me, explained below) and having same issue.

Abc.com rolled out a new video player.

Be4 abc.com used a Flash-based movie player. Now it is an active-x? add-on to IE and an add-on in FireFox.

Now I always just used the old abc.com player option, since i had the option to do so. I assume my sister was trying the new system.

But Abc.com got rid of the link to the old player so now forced to use the new add-on player.

So that’s how I encountered her error.

In IE, It gets 50-90% CPU usage and video gets sooo choppy and blurry that you cant watch.

In FF, you cant even get anything and FF freezes.

I looked at the hundreds of things in the Client Compatibility section to check out and all were red ‘Higher compatibility’,

If I turned off IMON, the problem went away.

But of course I would like it to be on :)

Abc.com is a highly visited video streaming site so I wonder if other people might have same problems soon.

You can possibly duplicate by going to abc.com, click Watch ABC Shows online, and then itll ask you in a popup to install something , then it asks if u see a small videoclip. I can only see the video in IE at this point, then if I goto a show to watch an episode, it is blurry and choppy and very high CPU usage.

Thanks if you can help,
    Ari

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello !

Repair Winsock
    Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista

Goto Start –> Run
    type cmd and click OK.
    Type netsh winsock reset
    Press ENTER . Restart immediately !

Note that there is a space between the commands , example netshSPACEwinsockSPACEreset

After restart , open NOD32's Control Center -> Click IMON and reregisted it to the system

When IMON is ready , open Control Center -> IMON -> Setup -> "HTTP" tab -> Client compatibility and make sure all applications are set on Higher compatibility

3. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I tried the new player and it worked okay for me. I noticed some slight macroblocking and digital artifacts but that was about it (most likely compression-related, I presume). Further, with IMON disabled, there was virtually no improvement in performance or quality from what I was able to determine.

This new player is by Move Networks and someone at ESET should probably take a peek at what's going on. The actual name of the player, in IE, is Quantum Streaming Player and it's listed as an ActiveX control (I have the file shown as qsp2ie07051001.dll).

Whatever other issues may exist, if you were to watch a show for any length of time, you will have dozens and dozens of entries listed in "Client compatibility" under the HTTP tab in IMON setup. These entries appear to be consecutively numbered and are definitely related to the player (e.g. QSP 2:1, QSP 2:2, QSP 2:3). I watched a 10-15 minute segment of a show and now have over 200 entries in "Client compatibility".

4. armyofda12mnkeys

armyofda12mnkeys Registered Member

i will try the winsock fix after work later.
    btw 'After restart , open NOD32's Control Center -> Click IMON and reregisted it to the system '
    then is 1st step to turn IMON off before u run 'netsh winsock reset'

btw prius04, how is your CPU usage when you watch this new player in IE and FF? i may have overstated how blocky it is. It is blurry video and every 5-30 seconds it stops.

for now i got this reply back from ESET which may interest you. IMON will not be in future releases. I'd like that extra layer of protection in future releases though :). So far its just that new ABC.com player i have trouble with.
    Would be nice if there was a safelist of websites it dosnt scan.

Hello,

Thank you for the update. There seems to be an incompatibility with your system and the IMON module.

Please disable the IMON module. Since AMON is still running, you will not be compromising any protection on your machine.

IMON was just the first layer of defense, a supplement. The strengths of NOD32 are AMON, which scans every file that performs an action, as it performs that action and the advanced heuristics which is stopping 90%+ of all new threats, before a definition is even written.
    The next version of NOD32 will be sans IMON. It's being totally eliminated from the program for this very reason.

By quitting IMON now, you'll not only resolve the issue, but you'll also lose no coverage.

If you have additional questions with regards to your case please let us know by replying to this email.

Thank you for using NOD32,
    ESET Customer Care

Last edited: May 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.