A virus pass sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by a256886572008, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cadillakin

Cadillakin Registered Member

Here is another thread highlighting Comodo and Sandboxies interactions. According to the OP and a few of the posters who could replicate, Comodo does copy files outside the sandbox. It's interesting reading and you'll probably notice some similarities with this thread..

http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopi...t=comodo&sid=858d1844a8ae7057002b548221bbe7f6

And then read this one too, added by Doodler, earlier in the thread. Same issues.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewt...ghlight=comodo

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. Cadillakin

Cadillakin Registered Member

I agree. It's not just with Comodo.. although Comodo does seem to be the most frequent offender of this type, I've noted the posts from other users who have different security programs that are also assisting sandboxed files to move out of their secure space... Malware Defender, etc.. In moving the files for their own purposes, to scan, quarantine, or whatever, they are inadvertently controverting Sandboxie's strong user protections.

As noted in the Sandboxie forum threads, some of these files will not drop or create other files while stored and executed in the sandbox, but on breaking out and executed, they can. That fact should probably be a concern to anybody running Sandboxie alongside some of these other apps - especially on family computers.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Actually anti roootkit programs, do tell you which hooks for instance are 'trapped' by which programs. In general it is a good idea to have the least possible of overlap, since not all programmers check whether they pass the info correctly after their own program has executed.

Regards Kees

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I was quoating, because I agree with you that 'to many cooks spoil the soupe'.

Some anti-rootkits also show what is ownwed by whome in the SSDT, but there are more which provide info like: Process hacker or the sysinternal suite.

Surun also sets hooks. So it is also part of your real system.

Cheers Kees

5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Thanks for running these tests SSJ. I hope "Nothing created on Real system" applies to Malware Defender as well :doubt:

6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Has the conflict with Avira been fixed or does it still exist?
    Thanks.
    Hugger

7. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Malware Defender will successfully control vvv.exe, sandboxed or unsandboxed, with or without XueTr resident.

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

It's more efficient to put MD in Learning Mode and observe the logging.

It is. The real system is untouched when running vvv.exe sandboxed (3.40) + MD 2.4.1 beta 3 without XueTr resident.

9. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Great! Thanks. I'm curious as to what it is with XueTr that causes this then. Guess we'll have to wait for TZUK to investigate.

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Quoting tzuk's latest post on the XueTr issue:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.