A-squared

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by chaos16, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think we've had enough personal/OT comments in this thread now - lets keep it civil and on the topic at hand - the A-squared application.

3. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

so will the next version of a2 have realtime protection for the free version

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

This thread is getting long enough to start an a2 forum at wilders.. :D

Take care Ant and have a great day ;)

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Eeeeeeeeeeeek!!!:rolleyes: :eek:

Agreed. I didn't fault your inputs, Andy. IMHO, postive criticism of a-squared is helpful & necessary.

Agreed. Even so, he HAS delivered on many promises since the day of his ANTS program. I fully expect that he will again deliver -- in full. In the meantime, A-squared is a superb AT.

Explain what? A-squared works just fine for me.

@chaos16 Wow... interesting! Thanks for the post & the screenshot. As far as including an RTM in the future free version -- only Andreas can say for sure, but I really doubt it. After all, if the freebie had an RTM, why would anyone buy the non-free version? And if no one bought the non-free version, how could the a-squared team put schnitzel on their tables? *puppy*

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  6. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

the thing i like about the new version is it has guard for the free version plus advanced dialer protection with realtime protection of dialers. There is a dialers program that will fuse with a2 so that sounds good.

7. Ants

Ants Guest

That was evil. I like sarcastic humour. ;)

For the records and for those who don't know any of the Ants/a² development background: There have been so many broken promises and commitments from Andreas.

And just to read that a² 2.0 will feature a dialer-protection is again the best example for broken promises: Remember the real "Successor of YAW 3.5" YAW 4.0?

And before that? Maybe somebody wants to "google" for all the feature promises that Andreas gave on Ants 1.x, Ants 2, Ants 2.1, Ants 3 and so on and so on. The list is endless.

8. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

I never put any stock in these personal and angry guest postings...
    But I suppose you think a2 is a good product or you wouldn't waste your time.
    :p

9. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I should have refrained myself better. What I meant was: when people asked what about version 1.7 a while ago, Andreas said it would be out (beta) in a few days or whatever. In the meantime there have been updates yes, a lot of them but still no answer on the 1.7...that's it.

And just when you expect the 1.7, he stated the Ewido thing...that wasn't appropriate as I at least would expected a word about the 1.7 . Cause it's not the first time so I would expect that he takes it seriously...cause everybody remembers I guess :)

again I read somewhere that the ids should be bulletproof but the scanner sucks :) so that's no problem...cause the ids works right? I have my thoughts on this matter. Just like everybody here.

biep biep.

10. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Cause there is a debug options that simply dumps the signature that cause a detectopm into a text file. Thats - by the way - the "secret option" Nautilus refers here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=64585

11. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

You are aware the fact that dialer protection is available in v1.6?

12. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

I agree with you infinity all the way around.

Personally I think scanners are almost useless in that they either find something thats already hosed your computer up, or is just lying there, not running waiting for one to empty their temp folders. That being said I would certainly 'finish' a guard or rtm first before improving a scanner - if in a developers shoes.

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Nay, it was instigated by another. As the old saying goes: One should not sneak up behind the elephant, Bwana. :D

As to scan -- a-squared does a good job. 7 plugins & 124924 sigs as of this moment. Pretty fast, too. 11 nasties on first scan a few weeks back. No FPs. Since then clean as a whistle. Does kissy-kiss a-okay with DrWeb, WinPatrol, Outpost, et alia -- spit-spot & bob's your uncle.

14. Infinity

ok, so what about those million free a2 users they only have a scanner at the moment...and all of a sudden I see version 2 here?
    personally I still believe in a strong scanner is needed. and the memoryscanner from a2 still isn't fully equiped so...

I hope the statement remains regarding the way users could change the security settings of the guard in version 1.7...well that sounded very nice to be honest...but the importancy of a scanner remains in my point of view. I am positive however Andreas will do everything to keep his users protected even for the free users.

15. Ants

Ants Guest

And you are aware the fact Yaw 4.0 had been finalised and released to PC-Welt 1 year ago? Oh I forgot the program got lost on the way to PC-Welt somehow... Good to see that in the end it arrived finally somewhere. ;)

16. Infinity

Could it possibly be that they investigated it eachother? Maybe, maybe not... -Mutombo still see what elephant doing overthere?

I had no comptability issues either under vmware session (full loaded software setup) so that's ok.

17. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Well ... just another troll claiming YAW 4.0 never existed. Well ... maybe you can explain what Steganos is selling for about 2 years ;).

18. Ants

Ants Guest

You can pervert the truth as much as you want and you can insult me by calling me a "troll". I don't care. I just remind you again to your (broken) promises.

Security has much to do with trust. And you need to trust security software.
    But how can you trust security software if you can't trust the developer behind? That's the key point here.

19. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

YAW 4 was announced to be released in December 2003. That was the case. YAW 4 was released in 2 editions - one for Steganos (Steganos Anti-Dialer 6.0) and one for PC Welt (YAW 4.0). One company got its version on 19/12/2003 the other claimed they didn't. That are the facts. I can proof YAW existed ... and you can proof?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2005
  20. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

What broken promises? He has delivered everything he promised except for the version number. ;) The IDS guard, the 70000+ sigs, other things I'm probably not aware of, he just delivered them in a2 v.1.6. So they came in an earlier version of the program than we were expecting what are you people compalining about?

21. Infinity

no it's not...Andreas said 1.7 would be released two weeks ago Period. and version 1.7 would have the possibility alter the settings of the "impenetrable" ids guard...that is the promise...I wasn't even talking about previous promises but now I think of it...:)
    Take care

22. erikguy

So the guard still needs some work for future program versions I still don't see a problem. Yes maybe he shouldn't be date specific for releases but give him a break, he's just a kid my age I'm sure he gets a little excited about his work.

23. Infinity

Andreas isn't a kid. he's responsable for a firm. he has a responsability just like you and me. if I say to my wife three times I'll do it...then I do it...if not I would say nothing or at least warn here I won't do it...

Andreas has twice my age...you think he's a teenager? :)

And for now I won't talk about it any longer.

24. erikguy

25. Infinity

well...that's reassuring :)
    I thought he was older, really :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.