A-squared

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by chaos16, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I use A2 also, I never had any problems updating it, it didn't take forever or lose connections, like some I have tried.

I like the attitude of the company, it works for me!

Thanks for keeping in touch, Andreas!

Marja:cool:

2. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) I also use a2 squared (free version), an like it quiet a bit. I have noticed however that it does take quiet a bit of time scanning (on average over an hour).

Thanks
    Wildman
    :) ;) :D :p

3. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

I think the over-an-hour scan time is atypical.

It only takes a few seconds on my computer w/dialup connection.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

a²'s updater works just fine. However, it seldom has new signatures to offer. Other AT's update several times per week. a²'s last update was 4/2/05. Also, the message so often given by the updater ("The update process was finished successfully") means that there was NO update. This is somewhat misleading.

a²'s Guard may not urgently require signature updates, but its on-demand scans do, I think. So their rarity has to be affecting effectiveness; or am I missing something?

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

That's correct Bellgamin; A2 is putting more emphasis on its IDS technology to protect through the Guard without the need of so many up-to-date sigs. But this does leave users of the free version more exposed - but I don't suppose it matters so much 'cos they are only able to deal with problems after the event in any case.

Having said that, when A2 does update its sigs, it REALLY updates - like 30,000 extra sigs for example! Just think how many new FPs are going to be sitting amongst that lot!

6. bellgamin

Don't get me wrong. I bought an a² license & am basically quite satisfied. But facts are facts -- without up-to-date signatures, neither paid users nor free users will have on-demand scans that are equal in effectiveness to the on-demand scans of Ewido, TrojanHunter, etc.

Users CANNOT "deal with problems after the event" unless they FIRST know that problems exist. And they won't know that problems exist if a² doesn't have the signatures that enable identification thereof. These facts apply to paid users & free users alike. Besides, leaving free users or ANY users "more exposed" DOES matter.

IMHO, until a² updates its signatures more frequently, it isn't quite ready for prime time.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for the info, Andreas :)

8. TopperID

If something gets in, it gets in, so you will be dealing with it in retrospect; whether you clear it out this week or next - it is much better to keep it out in the first place, and that is where the current A2 emphasis lies.

I don't suppose A2 are going to let their sig base fester so that it becomes useless (at least I hope not!) it is just that they are sending them out in larger tranches but less frequently. It would be nicer to get more regular sigs, but if you want the best of all worlds, I suppose one must put on the paid version of both Ewido and A2 - something not many of us find necessary. So you pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Though you could argue that having the paid version of A2 together with the free version of Ewido, will give you non-sig based realtime protection together with up-to-date demand scans. Of course it would be nice to have it all in one package, but I personally feel that even the free version of A2 on its own is still pretty good!

9. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Well in fact if we get a new malware the test procedure is the following:

Running malware on a virtual environment to see if its detected by the IDS in the first place. If that is the case (and its the case in more than 95% - depending on what kind of malware you are testing it and we have huge list with malware detected by the IDS while we developed it that is even bigger as ESET's list of AH detections - about as 200 times as big ;)) its scheduled for the next regular update. Otherwise we push out an update as soon as possible for all customers and the sample is send to me so I can improve the IDS ;).

Once in a week all collected new malware samples are processed and a signature update is released. Depending on how busy our dedicated collectors were there are a few hundret and sometimes a few thousand signatures.

We are currently discussing about changing that policy to daily for personal users and "if needed" for free users where "if needed" means: Updates weekly and as soon as a new ITW worm/virus/whatever is spreading. Personal users doesn't really need it (cause if there is something passing the IDS they get the signature within several minutes currently) but it would be an improvement for free users.

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

30000? so that means they've updated 3-4 times in the last year or two. :eek:...... ;) :D
    Sounds interesting, Andreas. When will we see the full force of A2 (version 2), or is the program more or less close to this with the latest version 1.6? :)

11. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Thanx for this clarification...the ids does what it says...detecting malware like behaviour.

12. TopperID

Check out Andreas in post #19 ;)

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Oops, that was kind of embarrassing :oops: :D. Thanks Topper, it does look promising. Looking forward to test it, when it arrives. ;) :)

14. bellgamin

The last update was 4/2/2005 -- 12 days ago as of now (4/14/2005 1436hours, Pacific time).

A LONG week!

15. Infinity

OK, I will put in my two cents after a long thought...

Andreas had a lot of critic the past three years regarding promises A2 (as a company) makes and then doesn't live up his promises regarding updates, releases that are rushed out/unfinished final builds/paying for beta's/... ...

I thought since a few months that this was changed...well in sorry to say but in one month Andreas made allready several promises and afaik no promise has become reality or whatever you wanna call it...

Don't get me wrong, I love the a2 personal and I truely believe the potential of his little gem but as long as it continues like that: telling two/three days for a beta release and after a week still nothing, updates that aren't done like he said... ...

I know one thing for sure: if you cannot do something or aren't sure about it: then just say nothing.
    DiamondCS and Ewido are doing this: they don't say anything till it is ready for beta testing and I truely like it better like this...
    I just don't like that kind of talk...maybe that's just me, I don't know....the product is ok and the database is ok too but I find that if you say something you gotta do it too or at least a small explanation why this thing isn't done. No need for Confirmation, just to inform...

If you want to be taken seriously, you gotta act accordingly ;)

16. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

Oh come on. Your head's would explode if andreas "just said nothing" :D

When i read posts like Andreas' and others - i regard them as "intent" of a good nature - not a promise. And definitely not a guarentee.

And "promises" of good nature can always be affected by the unseen ;)
    Ready.... i promise not to post in this thread again. ( Err atleast while not knowing what else may come up in this thread....) :p

17. Infinity

I truely believe that Andreas and A2 Crew are of truely good nature, that was not wat I was saying and I certainly didn't meant to sound like that.
    I have read my post again and I had to refrain myself. I like the product but it was just a thought :doubt:

I didn't want to sound that negative...

Inf.

18. TopperID

Don't feel too bad about it Infinity, you were making a perfectly valid point and I'm sure no one took it the wrong way. Of course it is annoying to be told that something will happen at such-and-such a time, only to find it does not. It is just that there is a difference between making an actual promise and making a statement of intent - even if it is wish thinking! Maybe Andreas is being over optimistic about the schedule - but I just accept that, 'cos when things do happen we will soon find out about it!

19. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

Darn. I wasn't going to post again :D
    I'm not trying to make you feel bad infinity - nor should you feel bad ;)

From what I gather, If/when there is a real deal nasty fast moving outbreak of something or other - A2 will release an update pronto.

As a side note... I always get a "let down" feeling after an update. I never find anything, and so the waiting for the next update starts all over :eek: :)

20. TopperID

See what we mean Toadbee, people make promises and they just don't stick to 'em :D :D :D ;)

21. Infinity

:) Thanx!

22. Marja

Can anyone explain why it would take over an hour for A2 to scan?

I find that astonishing, it scans faster than most of the progs I have trialed and the ones I use! That just doesn't seem .. something can't be right!?

Does anyone have a theory we could look into?

23. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Not a theory, but perhaps the a-v RTM needs to be disabled while a² is scanning what I assume is a drive?

24. Marja

Uh, I just asked because Wildman' post (above) mentioned the long scan, he says it's 87% free hard drive so maybe something like a different security prog, huh?

Or what is a RTM?

25. bellgamin

Sheesh, toad old fellow, I wish you would visit us on this here lily pad MUCH more often -- even if I disgree with what you're saying in this particular instance.
    Let me say this about that...

#1- It was Andreas who stated that they update at least weekly. All I did was quote him. He didn't say they tried to update weekly, or averaged weekly -- he made a flat declaration. a²'s last previous update was 4/2/05 -- as I said, a looooong week.

#2- If infrequent updates are sufficient, then what about those outfits that update multiple times daily (KAV, DrWeb, etc.), or at least daily (BOClean, TrojanHunter, TrojanRemover, AVPE, EZ, etc)? Are they simply wasting bandwidth? Are they doing something that has little or no merit, for advertising purposes? Or what?

#3- When folks give praise to a particular security program, I have noticed that they often include words to the effect "Updates frequently." Assuming that those lauditory words have any significance whatsoever, then wouldn't it be reasonable to take note of a security program that updates irregularly and infrequently?

As to whether it is "friendly" to point out this situation: If my fly is unzipped, it's a real friend who tells me about it. I do not appreciate those who simply look away, or giggle behind my back, as I walk around with my polka-dotted knickers on display. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.