A-Squared site and updates problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ocky, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

For the past 2 days or so I have had problems with obtaining updates. I use the free version for on demand scans and sometimes the downloads seem to
    complete (100%) but don't - progress bar is stuck at 100% and no downloads completed confirmation. Never happened before. The website is also down on and off. o_O

2. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

I also run the free version for on-demand scanning. I haven't had the problem you experienced at all. Maybe you are checking for updates at times when the traffic is heavy? People have reported a problem downloading AVG updates because their servers have not been able to keep up with the demand. AVG has become quite popular, and is one of the recommended AS apps on Spyware Warrior.

The other thing to keep in mind of course is that since you don't use it for active protection but only for scanning, you don't need to update until you actually perform a scan; intermediate updates don't do anything for you, so there is not the sense of urgency that you might otherwise have if you relied on it for active protection, i.e. blocking rather than removal after the fact.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

With on-demand scanners I only update once weekly,twice at the most.
    Like dcdc said,there's not a sense of urgency in updating.

4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

UpDated yesterday, emisoft was running fine. Heed the previous posters advice, its sound.

...screamer

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I'm using the free 4 month trial full version and noticed yesterday I think that 1 of the updates stalled. There also has been many program updates lately to my version, so the 'larger than normal' files could be causing some of the delays. IMO, I thinks their are still polishing the new release. I just wanted to confirm that you weren't the only one that experienced a problem. Everything seems normal today though.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK - all's well again as of this morning. Was only somewhat surprised as
    a2 has always updated flawlessly in the past. :thumb:

7. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Glad to hear that there are no more problems.

I don't know what other AS you use actively or on-demand, but I would not rely too much on a-squared alone, or on any single AS app for that matter. I myself have a lot of respect for the Spyware Warrior site as a source of information. You can find a list of Eric Howes' recommended AS applications here: http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm.

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks for the concern ! Whilst not having gone overboard to protect my stuff, I hope this is sufficient:-
    NOD32; AVGAS paid ver.(real time); Comodo Pro FW; Opera 9.21; Proxomitron; Netgear DG834v3 ADSL router.
    On-demand I use a2; SAS. (Spywareblaster only for IE which I use very rarely.)
    When AVGAS is due for renewal in the near future, I am undecided. Should I keep it for on-demand only and go for SAS Pro ? o_O
    Comodo v.3 should take care of all HIPS once released.

PS. RKU for Rootkits and Acronis TI 9 for imaging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.