A-Squared Free 3.0

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by G1111, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I am running the latest version of A-Squared Free 3.0.313. I noticed that they now have a2serivce.exe that continues to run after the scanner is closed. I don't have anything (updates, etc.) active. Is it okay to disable a2service.exe.?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Why disable anything if your not having any problems or do you not have much memory available?

3. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

5. duke1959

Is anyone getting any pop up alert messages from a-squared? I posted this question on the website, but am curious if any Wilders members who use a-squared have revceived any type of alerts from a-squared for anything.

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

No, none here.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

What kind of pop-up and when does it happen? I'm running real-time and get the IDS alerts when something triggers them.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am using a-squared free 3.0. I have not gotten a single pop-up. I am not sure how one would get a pop-up since it does not run realtime, or am I incorrect? On a scan it sometimes finds traces, but none have amounted to anything.
    I use 3 on demand scanners; SAS, A-squared, and AVGAS.

None ever find anything, and I like that. I do not know which is best. I realize I do not need all three, but I have them and try them at different times. AVGAS and SAS are paid versions, but I prefer to use them as on-demand scanners.

Sometimes I run SAS or AVGAS alongside my AV just to see how they get along. I have used them with F-Secure IS, KIS 7, NOD, AntiVir, and Avast Home without any conflicts.

Best,
    Jerry

9. duke1959

Alerts like for services and drivers being added, or new services being added to start up. I installed a firewall with the a-squared IDS Guard running and didn't get any alert asking permission to allow a new service or I would imagine drivers from the firewall being installed. Maybe this is supposed to be this way, but Spyware Terminator would have had alerts to no end with this being done. I hope I an making sense here and maybe I'm use to noisy HIPS Programs having a lot of alerts for different things. I just thought from what I read about a-squared IDS is that it may show some alerts at first as you run some programs and then quiet down.

10. innerpeace

Duke, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not but in Background Guard - Background Guard setting, there is an option to Activate intelligent false alerts reduction and an option to Activate paranoid mode:shifty:.

I get more alerts from my OA2 then I do from A2. I only have the false alerts reduction checked only. I think this was the default setting. If you want more alerts, uncheck the false alerts option and check the paranoid mode. At least that is what I assume would happen. I hope this helps.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Duke. I may have gotten such a pop-up, but only when I opened the program.

Hi Innerpeace. I don't think the background guard runs in the free version.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. duke1959

He Jerry M how you been? I think your right innerpeace about the false alerts setting in that it may reduce unneeded alerts. (maybe like setting Prevx on ABC instead mode) I don't have the paranoid mode on, but may play with it later. So far I actually like a-squared better than Prevx 2. My PC seems more responsive, and I like the GUI better. Thanks for everyone's help. Unchecked Active intillegent false alerts reduction and got two alerts when opening SuperAntiSpyware free edition to update. Then got another alert for an AVG exe. And a fourth for firefox that i think had to do with one of the updates.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  13. duke1959

Anyone running a-squared with Zone Alarm Free?

14. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

You can disable it, but it will start again next time you open or run A-squared, A-squared aint that good. Go get SUPERAnti-Spyware, AVG Anti-spyware or Spyware Terminator (Reccomended 100%)

15. duke1959

a-squared is too good. LOL.

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

When did AVG-AS discontinue running their service at startup?
    They had that before A-Squared.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  17. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Innerpeace,

As far as I know these options only work on the IDS, the paid version of A2. Setting the intelligent false positive reduction off, makes A2 more or less the same behavior blocker as CyberHawk (free). When I would have my own PC I would run Antivir - free + OA2 + Primary Response SafeConnect (have to use the laptop of my work)

We run:
    - Antivir free (as long there are that good AV's for free I will not buy one)
    and
    PC1 (Athlon 3900+) A2 Malware, DefenseWall (both paid), 'consumer' type user (wife)
    PC2 (Dual Core 3,2Ghz) CyberHawk Pro, GesWall Pro (both paid) 'power' type user (son)

I must say that A2 really is a good companion to DW, no pop-ups. On the other PC you will get an occasional pop-up of CB and somtimes also GW.

18. innerpeace

You and Jerry were right. I should have asked duke if he was using the full/paid version and or the trial. I was assuming because of the pop-ups he noticed. I still don't know which version he was running :doubt: . I think he is now trying Prevx like myself. I really like A2, but couldn't resist the free chance to to try Prevx. At least I can say I tried both as a fair comparison.

Cheers, innerpeace

19. duke1959

Hey innerpeace. I'm actually now using Blink Personal Edition again. ( I have an obsession you know. LOL.) I was using the full version of a-squared though and liked it very much. It was a tough decision to choose between Prevx 2 and a-squared, but when it came down to which one was the least problematic and ran better on my PC I chose a-squared. Look in Castle Cops Forums under Prevx and you'll see what I mean about some of it's recent problems. (Like it still being recognized in my Windows Security Center after it's been uninstalled. See my thread on this) Also a-squared has more features and you have more control over some things with it. Take care.

20. innerpeace

I saw your post at CCs. Windows Security Center finally got on my last nerve this week so I disabled it. I got tired of holding its hand whenever I installed/uninstalled anything. I had the alerts disabled for awhile anyways. Anyways, I hope you find something you like. Cheers!

21. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Yes, but only the free version of a-squared so no real-time/resident stuff. Never had a problem scanning although only use it one a week. Have CounterSpy/NOD32 as my real time defence.

22. duke1959

Back to AVG AV and a-squared. Blink Personal Edition is very nice, but it wouldn't auto update. Plus I just like AVG and a-squared. you know i just now only realized this thread is for a-squared free. Sorry about that chief. Anyone over 45 may understand that reference.

23. SPRINTMAN

SPRINTMAN Registered Member

a-Squared found trace.registry.goverlanv6 this morning. Anybody had this?

24. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I did. Apparently, so did other folks on the a-squared free forum:
    http://forum.emsisoft.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=2401
    I've had quite a few FPs with a-squared free. Not very reliable IMO.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  25. nikef

nikef Registered Member

yes i have both these on my pc,no problems at all :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.