A-squared enough without a dedicated AV

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gren, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gren

Gren Registered Member

I currently have NOD32 v4, OA paid for and A-squared (only use Mamatu part currently). I've a feeling its a bit too much and its getting near to subscription time again.

A-squared are offering a freee license in a couple of days so was wondering whether the setup would be okay without NOD32 and opening up all of the A-squared product. Using it as my AV in effect.

Also got things like Keyscrambler,NoScript and Norton UAC running in the background.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I don't see why not.
    I'm using A-Squared Antimalware as my dedicated antivirus.;)

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is very strong i used it and tested my self;) with nasty malware:)

4. gery

gery Registered Member

it is a dedicated av itself and there is no need for another one on the contrary it is not advised to run two av at the same time:thumbd: :thumbd:

5. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Yes, I also agree, Emsi Software A-Squared Antimalware can be used as an stand alone Antivirus solution. The Mighty Ikarus can handle the job. :D

My experience with A-Squared Antimalware an few versions back was very positive. The product performed as advertised.
    When I installed the Trial Version of A-Squared Antimalware an few versions back it did not register in the Microsoft Windows XP Security Center.
    From information gathered on this Forum, Emsi Software A-Sqared Antimalware now registers in the Microsoft Windows Security Center in all versions of Microsoft Windows.

I can not confirm as absolute that A-Squared Antimalware registers in the Microsoft Windows Security Center because:

01) - I do not have the current version of A-Squared Antimalware installed
    02) - I am unable to locate this information on the Emsi Software Web Site

Can anyone confirm from experience that Emsi Software A-Squared Antimalware registers in the Microsoft Windows Security Center in all versions of Microsoft Windows?.....
    .....In particular Microsoft Windows XP?

Also, if anyone can locate that information on the Emsi Software Web Site regarding the registration of A-Squared Antimalware in the Microsoft Windows Security Center,
    please Post an link to that information in this Thread.....Thanks.

HKEY1952

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It does register in the Security Centre,(certainly XP + Vista ) I can't remember how compatible (or not) this version is with Win7.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/company/press/Pressrelease_09-05-12.pdf

7. HKEY1952

AAHHH.....tucked away in an .pdf.....that is why I could not find it.....

Thanks andyman35.....good job.....

That is good news and seals the answer to: YES Emsi Software A-Squared Antimalware can be used as an stand alone Antivirus Solution.

HKEY1952

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

It's been a while since I used A2 last. Does it have a setting to permanently ignore false positives?

9. HKEY1952

Yes, A-Squared Antimalware exists an "White List" feature

When files are added to the "White List" The added files will be excluded from recognition in future scans.

Files can be manually Added or Deleted from the "White List" by clicking on "Manage whitelist" from the 'Clean Computer' Scan Selection Page, or

Files can also be Added to the "White List" by Right-Clicking the file in the 'Clean Computer' Diagnosis List Page after detection and
    from the context menu popup choose: "Add to whitelist"

asquared01.JPG

See: [section 4. Scan the PC] in the A-Squared Anti-Malware Online Tutorial:
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/kb/articles/tec081001/

Right-Clicking in the Diagnosis list opens an context menu that provides the following actions:

01) - Select All – selects all objects in the list.
    02) - Select nothing – unselects all objects in the list.
    03) - Invert – unselects all activated objects and selects all deactivated objects.
    04) - Add to whitelist – adds the file to the whitelist. The file will be excluded from recognition in the next scan.
    05) - Submit as false alert – Automatically submits the file to our Malware Lab for checking a possible false alert.

asquared02.JPG

HKEY1952

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks for the info

11. HKEY1952

You are welcome.....

I would strongly suggest starting an Account NOW with Emsi Software at the Emsi Software Web Site to speed up the transaction during that busy twenty four hour period.

Creating an Account with Emsi Software can be found under Service and Support from the Home Page or directly from here:
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/account/

HKEY1952

12. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I notice A-Squared downloads its whole definition database after a few days of inactivity - which is slightly annoying, seeing it's like 60mb or so.

But I am pretty sure I saw a post somewhere @ Wilders saying this would be changed ... to, not having go through an entire definition download if you haven't used it for a while ... anyone know if this is true? or maybe it was a dream.

13. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The update issue has now changed. Basically, if you have your system switched off for a number of days, then update, not a whole re-download of the database.

I've noticed it in the free version, the updates, including update speed, definitely improved. Good on emsisoft for listening to its users. :thumb:

14. Anar

Anar Registered Member

There currently is a discussion ongoing on their forum about that:
    http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/461-excessive-size-of-update-download-again/

Essentially if you miss the last 50 updates you will have to download the whole database again. This is not their design but was inherited from IKARUS. IKARUS is working on a solution to that problem though according to one of the Emsi Software employees.

Otherwise I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be usable as a stand alone AV since it does cover all kind of malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.