a-squared AntiMalware Free for One Year.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheKid7, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

OK, I found what the problem was - uninstalling Online Armor solved the issue. Quite strange as the two programs are supposed to be compatible and running well together.

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I found it quit amusing to get an answer from Emsisoft about my complaint here, which I send to them too. I informed them that I set up a 30-day trial of their Anti-Malware yesterday evening, to get a good transfer of the license today, as was set here by a poster. And the answer I got was that remark about that if you have a license you wouldn't get a license anymore. So they see their try-out as a real license. Funny :)

3. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Good luck with your choice Fuzzfas, that is yet another top-of-the-line security solution.

I am also still trying to grasp the logic of mutable Accounts.....there must be an internal valid reason for this reasoning and forced action.

The Online Activation according to the Emsi Software Representative is 'hash coded' however still questionable, the Automatic Renewal Process can obviously be Canceled by the Client so no problem there, just unnecessary extra work.

I know that Emsi Software A-Squared Antimalware will perform as advertised so I will give it an go with the Full Free Version. If the product remains on my System for an Year and proves to be reliable, I will purchase.

The Mighty Ikarus can handle the job.....:D

HKEY1952

4. HKEY1952

The suggestion was to start an BLANK ACCOUNT, NOT an TRIAL ACCOUNT, sorry for any confusion.....

HKEY1952

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I know and i was looking forward to it the last days, but it's like "Franz Kafka going to the software world" all this thing with pretending to be a new customer and i don't feel i *need* to do it. I could very well remain with Avast.

I generally hate online activations, because you can't see what's being sent to the vendor and you must rely that their servers and your ISP will be working when you install. My ISP on my zone isn't particularly trustworthy, several times a year has total breakdown for hours or days and some other days it has DNS errors , general, or with countries abroads. And since i change setups often, i have found myself in situations reinstalling windows and stuck waiting to activate something. Also you never know at what is the license tied to. If you are like me upgrading hardware parts every 6 months or swapping spare parts to diagnose hardware problem, sooner or later you ll get the "you 've installed on more than 1 PC". And then you must halt again your installation procedure and contact support, wait for reply, etc. In other words, there is nothing good coming out of this for me as a customer. Now, if you give it to me for free, i could live with it. Pay for it? Difficult. When i have no other choice i usually prefer products that also allow for offline activation (EAZ Fix/Rollback is an example of tying license to 1 hardware piece, but also allowing offline activation as long as you don't change the specific piece of hardware. Basically after the 1st activation, you get product ID, registration ID and code and you can use them offline for like forever as long as you don't change that hardware piece. It's a compromise with which i can live with. I hate that just for that fact i that i want to try another product i must everytime go find my registration data and re-activate. Even as far as my privacy goes i see no reason for anyone to know when i am installing and uninstalling something. This goes for all activation procedures, i am not concentrating on Emsisoft. They 're good for the vendor, bad for the customer and indifferent for the pirated user).

I have no doubt that the product is top notch... I will do something similar with F-Secure's free license. I will probably stay with it until Avast releases v.5.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  6. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

FUZZFAS is absolutely correct the log in requirements & password system for A2 absolutely is lousy. After going through the entire proceedure & getting the email & login A2 keeps alerting me that the password is invallid. It appears that in spite of the fact I have everything required I can't use this software. Thsi is just too much I cannot use thsi software. I certainly would never buy anything form A2 I probably could not successfully register any way.

7. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

I use A2 as a on demand spyware checker, would it be worth it to get the "paid" version or just stay with the free one?

Im using Avira anti-virus so I don't need the AV but would like to schedule scans for spyware with A2.

8. HKEY1952

All of the mentioned security solutions are top-of-the-line and will perform as advertised.

My attraction to Emsi Software is the 'Global Approach' that the security software attempts to provide while still existing 'ease of use'

The Mighty Ikarus can.....well.....you all already know.....:p

All software exists both good and bad points as you explained, one just has to find what works for them both Personally and with their Systems and Style of computer use.

HKEY1952

9. HKEY1952

It might take some time, like an few hours maybe, or more, maybe even an day, for the Emsi Software System Databases to be updated with the New Information.

Emsi Software is not an Major Leaguer like the top contenders that have state of the art Databases.....just maybe.....I could be wrong.

HKEY1952

10. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Personally I'd not think it was necessary to purchase the full version if you're already using Avira as your primary AV (Avira has excellent anti-spyware capabilities).

Something you might want to consider if you want to run scheduled scans for a second opinion is Hitman Pro,which uses the A2 engines along with 5 others.It can be configured to run at system startup and typically takes less than a minute to scan.The free version only offers unlimited detection however you can activate a 30 day trial of the full version at any time.

11. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

In fact, i think they have done an awesome job in merging Ikarus, A2 engine and Mamutu into a single working product, which as some said when i recently asked, results to also be very light in resources. This isn't easy task to do. I think A2 Anti-Malware gives one of the best all-around protections out there.

12. HKEY1952

Perhaps this might help Cherub.....

It was already Posted here in this Thread, you must have overlooked it (Post #100):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1573568&postcount=100

HKEY1952

13. HKEY1952

That is the 'Global Approach' I was referring to.....your choice of words are better than mine.....:cool:

HKEY1952

14. Woody777

Thanks for the calming words. I will wait for tomorrow. Presently I have 5 snapshots. NOD32 with not problems at all. Avira Free which updates never or ocassionally. Cloud AV with no problems. BullGuard with no problems. I was thinking of eliminateing 2 of them & replaceing with this but it doesn't to be working out very well. I do have the A2 usb which works fine maybe I will continue to use that for my secondary malware scanner.

15. HKEY1952

I do not know if you tried this Woody777:

You need to Log into your Account and enter your License Code that was Emailed to you into the "Convert coupon code" link found in your Account under "Manage Licenses"

Then your License will be Activated.....or does your Password not work that way either.....in other words, can you log into your Account?

If you can, enter the License Code Emailed to you as explained above.....

HKEY1952

16. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

thanks andyman and HKEY.

I'm using Hitman Pro already but haven't enabled to scan at startup. I'll probably just do that.

It's a stupid question, but I guess it boils down to if I use the free offer for A2, can I just turnoff the real time abilities and use it on demand like I would the totall free version?(on my old machine, I just liked doing an on-demand scan with A2 just to complement my other anti-spyware apps...say once a week)

The only reason for getting this offer would be that IF I wanted to change to A2 instead of Avira for awhile I would then have the opportunity to do that by getting the offered "paid" version. Sort of just like having the backup in case I ever wanted to give the full version a try.

HKEY, I did miss that post. I think I had this thread confused with the other thread on the A2 offer. lol Ooops.

17. HKEY1952

Well.....you now have the opportunity to play with Emsi Software A-Squared Antimalware "Free for one Year".....GO FOR IT.....:D

Note that the Free Offer IS THE FULL VERSION

HKEY1952

18. HKEY1952

You never Posted back the results, (see Post #165) so either wait an Day, if your Password does not work then, contact Customer Service!

Do not let this little 'bug' discourage you away from something that you really want.

I also had an little discouragement earlier until it was remedied.....
    I was finally able to Download the Emsi Software A-Squared Antimalware Installer Directly from the Emsi Software Servers from Softpedia through Mirror 1.....problem solved. :thumb:

Now I have what I really want.....The Mighty Ikarus..... :cool:

HKEY1952

EDIT: For clarity

19. gery

gery Registered Member

i can not get it work
    it always says 30 day trial

20. HKEY1952

I would contact Customer Support

Emsi Software Customer Support:
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/support/

Please explain briefly exactly what you did in the mean time.....

HKEY1952

21. Woody777

ThankYou HKEY: The convert thingy worked. I will now proceed with this. This is really a good software just a few seconds after I installed I got a notification apparently from Mamutu that a bad host was trying to connect. I blocked it. Now I can get rid of Avira free for good. I now will try to install Online Armor free. I think that would be areally good combo. Time for a firewall!

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I intrepreted that the requirement for a new account referred to those who were currently using A-squared. Since it means anyone who has an account with them, I don't want to fake an account so I'll have to pass on this offer.

In the past I used the free version, and did not keep it long due to FP. I wondered if this new one would show the same problems.

Regards,
    Jerry

23. HKEY1952

ALL RIGHT WOODY.....Welcome to the protection of: THE MIGHTY IKARUS! :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

HKEY1952

24. gery

gery Registered Member

got it thanks 4 replying

25. HKEY1952

This is True, However.....

You are not faking an Account by starting an Account while currently NOT BEING AN EXISTING CUSTOMER.....

That is the way Emsi Software wants it for whatever reason they have.....

I believe that you are misinterpreting the notice on the Registration Form.....

The Notice on the Registration Form (the Error) is informing EXISTING CUSTOMERS that they MUST START AN NEW ACCOUNT BECAUSE EXISTING CUSTOMERS CAN NOT Register the FREE OFFER in their existing Account/s, however,
    NEW CUSTOMERS WILL NOT encounter the Registration Error because New Customers NO NOT HAVE AN EXISTING ACCOUNT.

In other words, if anyone has ANY Email Registered with Emsi Software, Active or Not Active, they MUST start an NEW ACCOUNT with an DIFFERENT EMAIL ADDRESS.

EDIT:
    During my Trial Period an few versions back I only experienced One False Positive.

EDIT #2:
    I did not experience the False Positive.....The Mighty Ikarus found One False Positive.....:D

HKEY1952

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.