A squared antimalware antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Superman20, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1timeuserrr

1timeuserrr Registered Member

BWT, I'm using Windows 7 right now.

As other forum member mentioned, probably it behaves different depending on the operating system/configuration.

2. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Scanning 4 hard disk drives took over 13 hours!

Just FYI.

Processes scanned 126
    Traces scanned 574309
    Files scanned 521757
    Cookies scanned 3007

Objects detected 133 (plenty of false positives)

I used deep scan option. It looks like very deep indeed. :p

Big archives were excluded.

Is that normal scanning time for A2 Malware? :blink:

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I admit to some confusion as to what this application really is and does. It appears that it is an AV and more. If so how can one run it with another AV or suite?

Is it intended to replace something like KIS?

Thanks,
    Jerry

4. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Re: Scanning 4 hard disk drives took over 13 hours!

Where did you mention the scanning time?

5. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

It is an AV + AntiSpyware (2 scanners) + behavior blocker (the Mamutu component is included).

I can confirm it runs well alongside either OA or Outpost Firewall but it would be OTT to run it with another AV in realtime and it's never wise, in my opinion, to have more than one AV present on the system.

I have a licence for A2 but having tried it several times I always end up taking it off my system. I'm sure it's a top security product but for me it never feels quite right. I'm currently using Outpost Firewall Pro alongside Dr Web Security Space and that works well although I may replace Dr Web when the licence comes up for renewal as I sometimes feel like the only non-Russian using it. But this is maybe drifting off thread so I'll not go into more details about Dr Web.

I have a licence for Outpost Security Suite too so that should tell you something about me ;)

6. Technic

Re: Scanning 4 hard disk drives took over 13 hours!

Please look my topic's/reply title.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  7. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Sorry I didn't notice it there.

That does seem a long time but a deep scan does take a long time with A2 and I guess you would have to compare it with other products to see just how reasonable that time is in relation to other products. You also have to take into consideration how effective the scan is. No point in having fast scanning that misses the malware. My own experience with A2 is that the scanning is thorough but likely to produce some false positives.

8. Technic

Thanks a lot for your info. :)

I got Mamutu for free and then got email from Emsisoft to buy A2 Malware almost "free" 10 dollars/7.5 euros for year. I bought two years license. I am just trying to get along with this proggie after KIS, NIS, NAV and Avira etc.

I am using Online Armor Premium with A2.

9. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

That's how I got my A2 licence. It's a good deal and alongside OA Premium you have a good security setup. I also have a lifetime licence for SuperAntiSpyware and that coexists without any problems.

Regarding the scanning time, I didn't feel that it is any slower than Dr Web, Avast or Outpost Security Suite so it's probably the detection rate that you should be concerned about and A2 is right up there with the best.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, pjb024.
    That was what I had originally thought.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. 1timeuserrr

1timeuserrr Registered Member

I got 1 year license that way too :) I wish I bought a 2 years license because so far it's working very good on my laptop and the time response for new trojans I catch & send to them is wonderful (around 12 hours to be examined and entered into their database).

One thing I'd love to see is on-access scan and probably a firewall or a rebate on Online Armor for current A-Squared users ;)

12. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

As registered a-squared Anti-Malware or Mamutu customer you can get a 30% discount on Online Armor Firewall.

Please take a look at the bottom of the customer center main page:
    http://cc.emsisoft.com (after logon)

13. eliastz

eliastz Registered Member

Sadly some of the components of A-squared Anti-Malware (such as Surf Protection) are not compatible with CIS and Sandboxie.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

In what way were they incompatible? I've run those 3 together without any issues.o_O

Also regarding running A2 alongside another AV,since A2 is 'on-execution' rather than full-blown 'on-access' there shouldn't be any problem although it's most likely overkill.However it may be advisable in some cases.If for example you download a number of files but don't execute them,any malware won't be detected.If you then pass them on to someone else and forget to manually scan them first,you may well end up spreading malware (and losing friends).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  15. eliastz

eliastz Registered Member

When I use an internet browser unsandboxed (on a laptop running OA Premium), the Surf Protection module of A-squared blocks suspicious hosts, but nothing is blocked if the browser is ran in Sandboxie. Similarly, nothing much happens on a system running CIS (with only the firewall and D+ activated); applications which are supposed to be blocked by the A-squared rules are allowed to run.

16. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Interesting.I can't say that I ever noticed similar on the system I had with that combo (can't remember what versions they were though) but it can certainly happen that security programs can cancel each other out.I remember running D+ and Drivesentry together preventing keylogger detection.Do you have any specific examples?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.