A-squared anti-virus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by valnar, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valnar

valnar Registered Member

I see A-squared now considers themself an antivirus if you buy the live version (a-squared Anti-Malware?). Would anyone recommend running this in addition to a traditional antivirus, or something else like Malwarebytes running in the background? Is it a good antivirus?

I'm trying to build my arsenal of programs to have loaded, and programs that keep running in the background. Right now, I just use A-squared Free.

2. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

well because it has Ikarus Anti-Virus engine with a-squared Anti-Spyware
    many here use it

well it is subject to FP's

well good luck...ideally its better to have single realtime av/as running

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Run it on its own and you'll be fine. Has behaviour monitoring built-in, which can also be downloaded as a stand-alone program, known as 'mamutu'.

4. icr

icr Registered Member

If you will be using the free version then you can add any traditional real-time AV.

It is a good AV it has good detection rates but as kasperking said you also have to deal with FPs:)

5. valnar

valnar Registered Member

The reason for my post is I don't see it reviewed at places like av-comparatives.

Thanks everyone.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

It costs money to be placed in such tests. I'm assuming that A-squared wants to be judged on its own merits and not in a standard test venue. Detection is top notch and the behavior blocking is great. If you can filter through some FP's, it's a great Av/AM.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The problem is that many/most of us have no way to judge "its own merits." I one uses an AV for years and does not get infected does that indicate that it is one of the greatest, or that the user is a safe surfer, and uses his head?

Personally I'll judge it when it is tested by AVC. In the meantiime I will just keep on using others that have been tested and proven.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Friend's system last night had a popular free AV program installed. System was running very slow but he performed a couple of full scans. Took a look at the startup programs, services etc, couldn't find the problem.

Didn't think it was malware as the AV is one of my picks. Installed and ran a-squared free, and a deep scan found rogues (which weren't running in system tray), trojan droppers, trojans, the works. I checked each file to make sure it was malicious.

Removed all, and system is running like a charm. 400 per cent boost in speed. lol Use it and you'll see how strong a-squared is.

Edit - Jerry, you won't need it as you're running Kaspersky. :)

9. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I'm running A-Squared on this laptop. I've only had it on a few weeks however my first impressions are very good. I think it's well worth a try if you are looking for a paid a/v. I have not encountered any fp's at this point.

10. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Been running it on my laptop for a few months now (running alongside Online Armor paid) - replaced NOD32 which was really starting to slow things down especially at startup.

Only had one FP which was last week on a deep scan. Quaranteened the offender and moved on. 4 days later an A2 pop-up told me that they had reclassified it to an FP and to click ok to restore it to its proper place.

So, 1 FP in a few months use and even that resolved within a few short days - not bad.

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I concur. OA paid and A-squared are a great combo. I rounded it out with either geswall or defensewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.