A-squared 1 Year for only $5, for 5 days from 10 Dec

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

BTW a question to emsisoft , why A-squared use about 90k of mem?
    its look bad , 2 much system resource comparing to market products :cool:

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

demoneye, just remember, it's basically the same as installing an AV (50K - for one which is quite lean), behaviour blocker (20K), and anti-spyware (20K).

(eg. an alternative setup with the same memory usage would be Avast, ThreatFire, MBAM in real time)

There you have it, around 90K in memory.

I've disabled surf protection (as I use sandboxie), and scheduled scans (as I'll run scan regularly in own time). After a re-boot, program runs smooth. I usually have a few false positives from a number of portable applications, but after running a deep-scan, not a single one reported. :)

3. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

A typical virus or spyware scan engine takes around 50-60 mb. a-squared combines two such engines.

Running Ikarus AV and a-squared would usually result in 110-120 MB RAM usage. But we have removed non needed double signatures (a big advantage for us to make the engine on our own).

Keep in mind, that a-squared Anti-Malware loads more than 2.5 million signatures. Much more than any other single-engine AV product as far as I know. There are only a few bytes needed to detect a virus.

4. Saraceno

demoneye, I think it all depends on what other programs you're running.

For example, when I use opera, and sandboxed, seems to be stable at the figure you mentioned.

But when I run Iron portable as my browser and sandboxed, resource usage drops down 10 000 K.

Otherwise, it's a pretty slick program and can be configured (to however you want it to run) very easily. :thumb:

5. Saraceno

Just an update for those who are interested. After the behaviour part (which is mamutu) settles in and allows certain processes to be allowed, found it uses about 60 000 K in memory. See attached.

Not bad at all, about the same as just Avast! running. But then it varies as it updates hourly, and with further programs launched, returns to around 90 000 K. But a few extra K is no worry to me if it's doing its job and is effective. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  6. waters

waters Registered Member

Why is the guard not set to scan on reading and writing like other scanners

7. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Such a feature does not really improve the security level. Inactive malware files are not dangerous. Once they are started, the real infection can occur. But there a-squared catches them.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

But "such a feature" does slow things down.

Therefore, I prefer A2's approach -- much lighter impact, & fully protective against real threats.

9. demoneye

a question for emsisoft

does it true mamutu or even A-squared never take a look (scan/check) files in sandboxie container ?

10. demoneye

yes and no for example u can check mem usage of KIS or NIS or avire internet security , they got more programs/modules included like AV engine+anti spyware engine+FIREWALL engine+some more modules and weight less, much more less than 90!

so what is your point?

11. Saraceno

No one is forcing you to spend your hard-earned $5 (these two gatorades I'm drinking right now cost me more). If you don't like the resource usage, go for kaspersky or nortons. ;)

But I'm sure Christian will take resource usage into account with future version upgrades if it is a concern.

Personally, I think the program is worth its recommended price. I feel bad paying only $5!

12. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I have it running on one of my desktops (XP SP3 3GB mem 3ghz) and it runs fine. I think a lot of people's issues with it's memory usage are often times pointless considering the amount of memory machines have, nowadays.
    Of course, your mileage may vary.

13. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

As far as I know, Sandboxie runs programs in a secured environment, more or less independent from the actual system.

The a-squared and Mamutu behavior blocking module (Malware-IDS) can only check what's happening on the real system. Therefore I think you're right.

14. demoneye

10x a lot for the quick answer, it was mention by some poster in here , you just
    confirmed his finding :)

cheers

15. Saraceno

That's good about not scanning inside the sandbox, as you don't need to scan items which are already contained.

Although the $5 promo has just expired, emsisoft is offering the program at 50 per cent off, for under $20.

16. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Please note, the 50% off offer is only visible for visitors from specific countries, not for all.

17. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

The 3 month subscribtion is also really cool :thumb:

18. demoneye

and that not so good man , if any malware get into the SB , its like a time bomb waiting to explode.

i dont think waiting for it to jump out of the SB what ever u (sometimes) access SB container manually .

its just seems not ok 2 me o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.