A simple reliable backup app.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by twl845, Mar 20, 2015.

1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Wow. Just as Frog said. That's amazing to me. I have an i5 pentium cpu which I thought was a step up. Does your SSD make that big a difference? :thumb:

2. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Another data point with Macrium Free. I can do a full backup of my 512GB 850 Pro SSD with about 50 GB used to my WD Black 3 TB HDD in under 4 minutes. This is a new build Z97 with 16GB memory and an i7-4790k, however. FULL restore in less than 2 1/2 minutes!

3. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

LOL, hence I never do incremental/differential backups, although I have a similar setup with less modern but still powerful hardwares (i7-2700K, 8gb RAM and 128GB SSD) back up to a 1TB Samsung spinpoint F3 HDD. I achieved ~110MB/sec backup speed, and Froggie once questioned my writing speed data being too good for a mechanical HDD to handle (the Samsung F3 back up destination drive). You data proved that a lightening imaging speed is common if your hardware is modern enough.

With a large SSD, the speed could only go up more.

4. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

OK...the next time I do a full backup...which will be soon as I just added Ham Radio Software...I will see what my speeds are. I remember being impressed, which is why I only do full backups! :)

5. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Registered Member

Quit telling people these programs work together. You know that DC5 is not fully functional when used with RRX. To be honest, fully functional is the least of my concerns with this combination.
    http://community.horizondatasys.com/forum/drive-cloner-rx/1934-drive-cloner-rx-6-0-beta/page4

And for the record, I use AOMEI Backupper because I'm not that smart and it is VERY easy to use.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

After waiting for DC V6 for 2 years using the "gold" support (at an additional charge) so I could get the upgrade that would work with RXrb free, I uninstalled DC5 and RXrb.

7. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Tremendous difference.

I have one i5 and 3 G-860s

The G-860 with an OCZ SSD has a faster boot-up time than than my i5 with a 256G Crucial SSD AND 16G of memory.. 3 of my computers have Crucial SSDs. I was quickly made a believer in SSDs.
    My old hard drives are now used as external drives for my backup programs.

8. Kurtis Smejkal

Kurtis Smejkal Registered Member

Nothing in my response was misleading, and I didn't state they would work together presently. I stated that these features are coming in the near future. So you're right, I do know that DC5 doesn't back up RollBack Rx's snapshots, but I do know it's forthcoming in the near future (as stated in original post).

Before you go ahead and tell me the long tale of how Drive Cloner Version 6 is a fabled pipe dream, I can tell you that there is a time frame set, and it's on track. It'll be out and about very soon. Whatever your bias is towards HDS and our products, that's a solid fact.

9. Masterblaster

Yes, I am jaded toward HDS. It comes from my personal experiences with data loss and an unbootable computer caused by RRX, the excessively long delays of your programs, and your horrible forum and technical support. That's why you are here, to help improve your image but only solid products and solid support will do that.
    If you have a release date for DC6, what is it?

10. Kurtis Smejkal

Well improving the products is more important then image, I'll agree with that. We're constantly improving the product, and it is something we're all working towards. I'm actually furiously writing notes on what I see and taking them to our Tech Support and Developer teams. So I would say improving the image is moreso an afterthought.

If I could tell you the exact release date of Drive Cloner Version 6, it would be on our Press Release page. That said, it's coming together, and we're all optimistic that Drive Cloner Version 6 will be usable well before I get a chance to play The Last Guardian ;)

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Tired of vaporware. Audacity of some to tout products that fubar systems. Just amazing. Pffffft.

12. Masterblaster

You said "there is a time frame set, and it's on track". What is the projected completion date? Will it be Windows 10 compatible?

13. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

OK, I just did a FULL backup and it was about 48 GB from my 512 GB 850 Pro SSD to my 3 TB WD Black HDD. It took about 4 minutes and I got a READ Rate of 3.6 Gb/s and a Write rate of 1.1 Gb/s.

14. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Thanks for the confirmation. the write speed translates to ~ 137MB/sec, so it did demonstrate a faster speed using more modern hardware and larger capacity SSD/HDD.

15. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

MB,

Please understand that DC6 is currently in beta-testing. As one of the beta-testers I can tell you (factually) that DC6 is capable of performing a 'normal' hot (full) backup that captures the entire RBrx system including all snapshots (so it is actually much more than the 'normal' used-sectors hot backup). Furthermore, my subsequent restore of that hot (full) image was successful!

That said, the last beta version I tested still had lots of 'rough edges', mostly with its 'appended' backups (an unusual departure from the common differential and incremental backups that most of us are familiar). So (as with any beta) until these problem areas are resolved I don't see how a firm release date can be assigned.

I can't address your Windows 10 question other than to say I'm sure all 3rd party software developers are scrambling to make their apps Win10-compatible. ;)

pv

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  16. Masterblaster

Well Kurtis said they had a target release date for DC6 and it was on-track. Those are his words. I just want to know what that date is.
    I also want to know if it's Windows 10 compatible. They were not ready for Windows 8. DC still isn't. I would like to know if their products are compatible with W10.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Masterblaster.

I am currently typing up a report of testing the lastest DC6 beta I could find along with latest Rollback. I don't want to yet post any details, but I would rate it a complete failure.

@pvsurver. Do you check the sector by sector box on restore?

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That is the same statement told to us for a number of years now. "Forthcoming in the near future" is what folks have been told for too many years about the same upgrade to V6.

19. Kurtis Smejkal

The company focused on RollBack Rx Home Edition which took away attention from DC Ver 6 development. With RBX Home Ed now out in the wild, it's time for the developers to fully focus on Drive Cloner. I understand how it is though, it was announced that this product was coming, and it hasn't, but we internally recognize this frustration and have prioritized its development going forward.

20. manolito

manolito Registered Member

Frankly, this sounds like a very lame excuse to me. The only thing HDS did to release the home edition was to find more features they could disable from the pro edition. And man, they really did cripple it (much more than the now discontinued XP edition). Sure took a lot of focussing...

And still they were not even able to do this crippling right. Scheduling is disabled in the home edition, there is just the default "Create a snapshot on the first boot-up of the day". When you try to edit the properties of this scheduler entry, you are redirected to the HDS website. Alright, advertising the pay version is kind of OK for me. But you can delete the predefined entry with the DEL key on the keyboard, and there is no way to bring it back except reinstalling the software. Doesn't look like thorough quality control to me...

Cheers
    manolito

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I just got an e-mail from Horizon saying that RBrx will now be freeware, and the following announcement:

Drive Cloner Rx Version 6 will be released on April 20th 2015. Drive Cloner Rx is a comprehensive hard drive imaging software that will clone the entire contents of a hard drive. But unlike traditional imaging applications, Drive Cloner Rx will be able to copy all RollBack Rx snapshots including its subsystem.

22. Kurtis Smejkal

I told you we had a date ;)

When they mean freeware, they mean RollBack Rx Home Edition.

23. Gaddster

Gaddster Registered Member

Horizon Data Sys software at best should be classed as beta "test on a system that you do not care about" software but if you listen to Horizon employees or other Horizon shills / plants on here and other websites, you'd think their products are the dogs bollocks....If you like spinning a roulette wheel then by all means use their software.

24. appster

appster Registered Member

Fwiw, EaseUS is running a super-sale (especially for their Todo Backup)! The price of EaseUS Todo Backup Home v8.2 is normally $29.00 USD, but it is now available for the special prices shown below (until March 31,2015).

1 Copy
    $29.00 USD $9.86 USD
    2 - 5 Copies
    $27.00 USD $9.18 USD
    6 - 10 Copies
    $25.00 USD $8.50 USD

I've been using the Free edition of Todo Backup since January and find it very reliable and simple to use. Now I plan to upgrade to the Home Edition at the special price of $9.86 USD.

Todo Backup Home (Paid) Edition includes the following additional features not available with the Free Edition:

Email notification, pre/post-commands, offsite copy,
    event-based schedule backup, and file exclusion

Microsoft Outlook backup & recovery

Free & prompt technical support

25. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

That is an excellent price. When V8 came out instead of paying the asking price for 4 copies, I asked EaseUS how much I would have to pay for 4 licenses and they quoted me a few pennies over ten dollars each. I was very pleased and paid it gladly.

Of course, as all of you know, it is not necessary to pay. The FREE program is just great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.