A Request for Linux Gurus

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Brandonn2010, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Hello. I don't use Linux, but have always been interested in it. I especially like the Back Track CD I got to use for my Network Security class.

Anyway, there are so many distributions, some based on others, that I was wondering if someone could compile a tree chart of the distributions, starting with UNIX or Linux for the root, and then branching out like Ubuntu, and then Kubuntu and Linux Mint branching from Ubuntu, etc.

I would appreciate it as it would help me understand the different distributions and how they relate to each other, without having to research each one on Wikipedia. Thank you!

2. Brandonn2010

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

5. Brandonn2010

Well I think I'm going to give Linux Mint and PCLinuxOS a spin, as they both seem good and I like the interfaces. I prefer KDE to Gnome since KDE is all managed by the open-source community unlike Gnome right? Also, the E-17 interface looks really slick. Can you make KDE look that good? What are the main differences between KDE and E-17, and what are the main differences on Linux Mint and PCLOS?

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

linux mint main distro is based gnome and on ubuntu which is itself made of debian

linux mint 10 one of best distro :D

pclinux is made on mandriva and default one is base on kde the down point on pc linux is its only 32 bit right now

gnome and kde both are open source and great it up to you what you like more

i recommend you to try linux mint 10 instead of 11 as big changes in it due to ubuntu 11.04 so it not as stable as 10

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-julia.html

also if you looking kde based distro you can check kubuntu instead of pclinux because the new kde 4.6 is great :))

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-natty.html

7. Brandonn2010

That's a shame PCLOS is only 32 bit right now, so I guess I have to wait on that.

I am already downloading Linux Mint 11 but I will factor in the fact that it's not entirely stable.

What are your thoughts on the Enlightenment GUI?

EDIT: Apparently the KDE version of Mint is version 10 so I will be trying that after all! What are the main differences between Gnome and KDE? I've heard KDE has more functionality and Gnome is simpler and more user friendly?

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

GNOME 3 is too dumb user-friendly. KDE is very configurable, but heavier. Enlightenment works great on lower-end hardware.

9. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Enlightenment GUI is new gui not as stable as kde and gnome also for kde kubuntu is one of best choice as mint kde is base on kubuntu but its base on old one not latest one which is pretty awesome and fast

but on mint 11 as ubuntu switch to unity rather than gnome default and mint stick with gnome its little buggy few bugs like theme problem but on mint 10 you can get every thing latest and stable as gnome is same 2.32 on both on looks and work you find them pretty same if you can go with few bugs linux mint 11 is not bad choice either they get stable in time :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.