A Reliable Uninstaller Program ??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hard Rocker, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. securityx

securityx Registered Member

If you do use a full uninstall program, and it's a good idea, I use Total Uninstall 3.50. It's $29 but well worth it. I used their freeware for a long time, but the TU3 series is much easier to use.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well member "Hard Rocker" tried and/or tested Tenebril Uninstaller, not me.
    I was just summarizing the results of these four uninstallers, choosen by me at random. There must be alot of them on the internet.
    Three of the four uninstallers, didn't do their job. Pffft.

What bothers me the most is that alot of softwares don't uninstall their objects very well and you always have to clean the leftovers yourself.
    If each software uninstalled itself properly, you wouldn't need these uninstallers and registry cleaners.
    It's ridiculous that you need extra software to correct errors of other softwares and it's even more ridiculous, if that extra software doesn't do its job very well either.

I also wonder when a later upgrade of a software causes a new object (file, register,...) on your harddisk, that an uninstaller will remember to remove that new object as well. If not, you don't have a good uninstaller.

Another point is that a software-uninstall program should shutdown the software first AUTOMATICALLY, before the uninstall is executed. Lots of users forget to close the software and the uninstaller won't be able to remove the "objects in use", while the rest is removed.

Another point is that a software-uninstall program should ask the user first, if personal settings and personal files (address-book) have to be removed as well or not.

Personally, I would prefer that Windows takes care of uninstalling softwares properly as an additional feature.
    Some kind of built-in uninstaller that remembers each object of each software ever installed by the user and that would be the end of all these (incompetent) uninstallers.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That was supposed to be a feature of XP many years ago. :)

4. ErikAlbert

LOL Ronjor. No comments. It's already bad enough.

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Try AddRemove PRO... free..

http://www.superwin.com/index.htm

works good.. lots tools in it..small file... 346kb... click on Freeware on left of main index

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 030.GIF
      030.GIF
      File size:
      18.9 KB
      Views:
  6. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    Apart from easy and speedy is there really much difference (cleaning wise) between the free version TU 2.35 and the commercial TU 3.51
    Thank you very much

7. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Hi guys -

As it's been referenced in this thread and is no longer available from the original source - I've found a copy. Here's the link:-

Inctrl5 @ xpefiles

8. ErikAlbert

I use "Total Uninstall v3.61" in combination with a registry cleaner, because TU does an excellent job in most cases, unfortunately not always (nothing is perfect). I only use "Total Uninstall" for LEGITIMATE softwares. It wasn't a waste of money for me.

For softwares from an unknown source or betas, I prefer to use FD-ISR or any other similar software. In that case I would work with a test snapshot and use a clean snapshot to get back in business after testing.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I can find no major differences except cosmetics. The last free version is available HERE

10. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I use Ashampoo uninstaller and Total Uninstall free. No problems so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.