A question

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Logan5, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Hi,

I was just reading about the 'Bugbear' worm and how it shuts down AV's and firewalls. A lot of times it seems that the term worm and virus are used together or to mean the same thing.

So I assume (although I hate to assume anything) that even if this worm shuts down the AV and FW, Wormguard would still stop it from doing anything else. Or would it be better to say Wormguard would stop it (or any worm) before it could shut down the AV and FW?

Thanks
    Logan

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

In this case you can be confident WG is not on the list of security software being shut down, nor is TDS-3 btw. And it is already in the TDS references too in several variants.

The name giving is rather confusing, trojans with worm behavior and worms which infect like viruses do, combinations of them, worms dropping viruses in the system and we can expect viruses connecting to create new mutations if not cleansed out, etc.
    The ways of spreading via internet, email, documents and in downloads, etc. Fortunately WG closes such intrusion probes via web sites and via internet too from running.

3. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Jooske,

Thank you very much for the reply. Very nice to see WG would have stopped it.

As a matter of fact my wife just called and said the NOD32 pop3 scanner gave an alert saying it found the 'Bugbear' worm in an email.

And I am also running TDS-3 so I guess that poor worm had no chance at all :)

Logan

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Great it is eh? If you run WG and your email scanning program or the firewall (like Zonealarm does) did change the extention you could have fun with them seeing them stopped indeed.
    I suppose you did update your windows applications to the last updates, as even today there came four security patches available too.

5. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Jooske,

Yes it is :)

No doubt ZA Plus has changed the extension and Becky is set up stop quite a few different extensions as well.

I will check on those updates you mentioned.

Thanks
    Logan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.