A question for VMware users.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by pvsurfer, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

If I were to install VMware Workstation on my 2nd physical HDD and then install the WinVista & IE7 betas inside VMwareWS, could I then somehow run WinVista/IE7 after booting up to WinXP on my C-drive?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    No. VMware config files are just ... files that describe the environment and can be accessed through only after the host OS loads - these files have no meaning outside the working OS scope.
    Mrk

3. pvsurfer

Therefore it seems that in order to realize the benefits of VMware, it should be installed on the C-drive. Would you agree?

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    No. You cannot access VMware outside your OS. So when you quit Windows to whatever other environment, VMware is useless.

Or maybe I misunderstand you.

Do you mean run Vista upon boot, or once you enter XP, run it through virtual machine?
    Mrk

5. pvsurfer

I don't think we are on the same page... I'm currently running WinXP on my C-drive. So (based on your comments) if I were to install VMware on my C-drive, I could then install another OS, such as Vista, in VMware and then load and run that OS. On the other hand, if I were to install VMware on my D-drive (which is not a bootable drive), VMware would be of little or no value.

Is that correct?

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi,
    The Virtual machine OS will run from any drive. (the VM`s do not need to be installed on a bootable drive)
    My current config is:-
    C: (boot drive) VMware installed.
    D: All VM`s

7. pvsurfer

Man that would be great... installing VMware on my C-drive and installing everything I want to run in VMware (I assume that's what you refer to as VM's) on my D-drive...

Specifically, I would like to install VMware on C: and the WinVista beta software (which I want to run in VMware) on D: As I've never used VMware, would you please elaborate on how to do this?

Thanks, pv

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi pv,
    Once you have installed VMware and start the application you are given a number of options for the installation of the VM (Virtual Machine), which include: OS type, name of VM and location of installation (see attachement).

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Once you have installed the VM,...

Any questions, just ask,...

Attached Files:

• 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      69.4 KB
      Views:
  10. pvsurfer

Stem~ Thanks very much... :thumb:

...I plan on installing VMware and Vista over the next few days. Nice to know guys like you will be there when I have questions. Stay tuned...

~pv ;)

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

No problem,
    VMware is very easy to use (Installation wizard for VM`s). The hardest part is waiting for the first VM to be installed (as you install the VM OS from CD as you would with a normal installation of windows), but once installed, you can make "clones (copies which only take a few minutes to create)" of the VM (as many as you want (up to capacity of storage) with the full version of VMware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.