A question about wireless router & IP address

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by tisungho, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

Hi,

I just wanna ask you that if I'm behind a wireless router, can people outside see/trace my real IP address?

Thanks

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

You mean someone standing outside of your house? If they were able to connect to your wireless connection, all they would have to do is go to a site that reads your IP address. Like this one.

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

Of course any website that you go to can see it as well, unless you hide it.

3. david banner

david banner Registered Member

But if he's behind a wireless router is not his real IP disguised?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

The answer is no.

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Would`t the answer be "yes" and ""no"? The Internet sites he visits would see the routers IP. If someone tapped into the signal from the NIC going to the wireless router then they could see th IP of the PC\laptop in question.

6. david banner

david banner Registered Member

That is what I meant, am I wrong?

7. ThunderZ

Nope. do`t believe you are. ;)

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've always thought this was the case, and is especially true when one visits port scanning sites like Shields Up, which will give the router's IP and not the WAN IP.

However, I'm a little puzzled with something as I've just switched to a wireless router after using an ADSL modem for a few years. It has come free with an upgrade in broadband speed. I'm not connecting via wireless, but through ethernet.

The router's IP is not seen at sites like Shields Up, but the ipconfig /all command doesn't show the WAN IP. Shields Up reports stealth across all ports, with and without KIS' firewall enabled.

9. ThunderZ

If I am understanding you correctly you are now on a land based wireless Internet Provider? Meaning you now send and receive to a tower somewhere in your vicinity. If this is the case then you are probably behind a proxy server. If Shields Up were to see any IP it would be that of the providers servers, not your NIC or router.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Ipconfig shows the non-routeable IP while Shields Up shows my routeable IP. That routeable IP is what I've been used to seeing.

11. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Whichever hardware is negotiating your IP with the ISP is the one that is holding your Internet IP. It may be that your modem is getting the routable IP and the router gets a LAN address. If you have double NAT with the wireless router your PC could get a completely different LAN IP.

One possible change - to put the modem in bridge mode and let the router get the Internet IP.
    One possible change - to leave the modem as is and connect a LAN port of the wireless router to the LAN port of the modem to eliminate the router NAT.

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Or perhaps leave as is? It is stealthed, after all.

13. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Yes, but if you do have a 'double NAT' situation, you may end up with packet fragmentation and MTU problems that could use some tweaking to correct.

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

To be honest, I'm not sure whether it's NAT or not. This is a whole new area for me as previously I used an ADSL modem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.