a question about kerio firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by kenja, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenja

kenja Registered Member

Have just got a new computer windows xp media centre edition SP2
    AMD athlon 64 processor 3000+ 512mb ram
    also have norton antivirus 2005 which has internet worm blocking at the moment i am just using the xp firewall as i really don't know what to use with SP2 and norton 2005.
    On my old computer with xp SP1 i used to use sygate which was a old version 5 i think but it didn't go to well with norton 2003 really slow shutdowns and startups although i loved the firewall easy to use and set up rules but after hearing about the problems with new version i don't want to use that i was just wondering if kerio 2.15 would work with the set up i have got now and if it is as easy as sygate to use if not what other firewalls would work.
    would appreciate any advice

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Kerio 2.15 is free, the only real way to know is to try it.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

If you are not firewall savvy, I suggest you go with Zone Alarm free, pretty good protection right out of the box, set the slider to the max after it has learnt all your programs in your PC. Kerio 2.15 is the best when combined with BZ rules but you need to know what you are doing.

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Arup-

But I dont know what I am doing:)

Pretty good protection, hmmmm, where have I heard that one?

5. mlr1m

mlr1m Registered Member

Why does everyone always say kerio 2.15 is hard to understand?
    Zone alarm is the one i never figured out.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

ZA is easy, until you try to do advanced rules. Kerio 2.15 is the easiest of all rule oriented firewalls, but some folks eyes glaze over when confronted with questions about ports, TCP and IP's. That is why they invented stuff like ZA. Actually, the really easy one is the XP SP2 firewall. Only time it bothers you is if an app wants to be a server. It will also stealth those server ports when the app with server priviledges is not running. Requires only 3MB and one service in task manager. If it did not come from Microsoft, everyone would think it was wonderful. Well everyone except those who have become enchanted with the outbound leak thing.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You mean you don't have any outbound leaks?

8. kenja

kenja Registered Member

I must admit i am using the xp firewall at the moment until i can make my mind up about another one and has passed all the firewall tests just a bit worried about outbound trafic. but i guess if you didn't let anything nasty to get on your pc it will be ok.
    I am not sure about zone alarm i know it is easy to use but i had big problems with that years ago and have been put off of that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.