A problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Luke86, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

how do I open ports for the internet? Im connected to a computer that accesses internet through a router to mine, i run 98. I ran Steam and they said to connect to them the open some ports. and i cant connect to messenger. I get internet and i can share files to my other computer. the thing that really pisses me off is that it worked awesome until i got it fixed cuz it wouldnt boot up to windows. what do you guys think it is?
    The ports that Steam says to open are on this site:
    http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=faq&id=1050915505,27362300,1050915705,97731900
    and what is a good program to open them.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

What is your router doing? Does it act like a firewall?
    In that case, you'll have to change the port farwarding settings, forward the steam ports to the ip address of your win98 system.

Do you use a personal firewall on your win98 system: depending on that firewall, allow incoming requests on the steam ports.

3. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

My firewall is on the other computer that feed the connection which runs Xp.The firewall it uses is ZoneAlarm. How do i forward the stream ports to my ip address?

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

As meneer suggested, you will probably have to configure your router to forward the required ports through to the LAN system(s). Check your router documentation to see if it supports port forwarding and for configuration options. (posting make/model might help)

Regards,

CrazyM

5. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Luke86

You mention having a hub in place which should not be blocking anything as it will not be doing NAT. Could you provide more details on your network set up to help determine where this traffic is being blocked.

ie.
    Internet -> Modem -> Hub -> PC's
    Internet -> Modem -> Router -> Hub -> PC's

Regards,

CrazyM

7. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

All the traffic I really have is Internet, shared music, and other files. I am really baffled.
    ours is Internet->Modem->PC'(newer one)->Hub<-PC(older PC)

8. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

Should I just get a router? It would probably be the smart way! I dont know!

9. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

What type of internet connection are you on? Dial up, Cable, ADSL?
    Is the modem external or a card?

10. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

I have cable. external modem supplied by ISP. each computer has a network card in them.

11. Devinco

Is the newer PC XP? XP Pro? The older PC is 98? Basic details will help provide better answers.

12. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

yea the older PC has Win 98 and the newer XP home.

13. Devinco

Is the 98 computer able to currently access internet at all? Email too? FTP?
    Is the XP computer able to access the internet normally? What about steam on the XP computer?
    Is the modem USB or Ethernet?

If the modem is ethernet, then the way you described the setup:
    would mean that the XP computer has 2 Network cards. One to connect to the modem and one to connect to the hub.

14. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

both computers can access internet. Steam works normal on the XP PC. each computer has one network card, yea you got it correct.

15. Devinco

It doesn't make sense. How does the modem connect to the XP computer? Ethernet or USB?

Does it connect like this:

1. Internet-->cable modem-->(ethernet cable)-->NIC (network card) on XP computer.
    If the XP computer has only one NIC(connected to modem), how does it connect to the hub?

Or like this

2. Internet
    |​
    cable modem(with ethernet cable)
    |​
    Hub​
    |​
    |-->NIC (network card) on XP computer.​
    |​
    |-->NIC (network card) on 98 computer.​

16. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

My hub works and all that, but I just cant be connected to a few programs. I think I have to create a proxy server or two to get those programs to work (the ones in the first message).

17. Devinco

So then you are hooked up like 2. in my previous post?
    Both computers are hooked to the hub and the hub is hooked up to the modem?

If this is the case, then concentrate on the 98 machine, because the 98 machine is connecting straight to the internet through the hub. Also put a software firewall on that 98 machine ASAP.

It is not possible to isolate the problem when you don't provide answers to what your basic connections are.

Anyway, a router with a built in hardware firewall is a good investment for your security.

18. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

Devinco! this is my network setup, sorry for the confusion. yea you are right! :D
    so, the computer with Win98 is connected to the hub. now that makes sense right! :p sorry for the confusion, dude.

19. Devinco

Luke86,

Seems like you need to set the XP computer's ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which is acting like a router, to forward the steam ports.
    Since you have Zone Alarm (free or Pro?), I would not have the ICF (Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall) turned on.
    Here are some links that explain forwarding ports in ICS:
    here and here and here
    Once you forward the appropriate ports and it still doesn't work, you may have to add the steam IP address to the trusted zone in ZoneAlarm.

Here is a forum specific to CS.
    Here is a forum specific to ZoneAlarm.
    Before you ask questions at those forums, determine the following.
    Are you using ZoneAlarm Free or ZoneAlarm Pro? What Version?
    Does the 98 computer have a firewall? Which one, what version?
    You say it was working perfect until you had your 98 computer fixed. While that would more likely point to the 98 computer, (maybe setting the gateway IP right,DHCP or static IP), it could also have a lot to do with the XP computer. All it takes is one change in the XP computers config, or maybe an upgrade in ZoneAlarm.
    That's just one reason a separate router with hardware firewall makes sense, simplification. It will also boost your security.
    If you post a question there, provide as detailed info on your network configuration as possible so it will be easier for the answerer to solve your problem. Just don't give your public IP address or real email address and you will be fine.

Besides a router, you should also consider putting a firewall on the 98 computer and getting an anti-trojan scanner if you will be doing P2P file sharing. A lot of malware comes through P2P.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  20. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

IF i had boughten a router would i have to do all that stuff and would all the programs that dont work, work like it should.?

21. Devinco

It would simplify it. You would then forward the ports needed in the router.
    Basically, setting up any video game to work through firewalls and routers can be a pain. But if you want if you want to play and be safe, that's the price you pay.

22. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

it is sort of a hit and miss if those programs will work, eh! so what your saying is that by getting a router will not solve my problems, just be more technical, right?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  23. Devinco

IMO, configuring a router will be easier than messing around with ICS and ZA. In addition, you have an XP box networking with a 98 box. A router with a hardware firewall will take your security up a notch and at the same time remove complexity from your setup.

24. Luke86

Luke86 Registered Member

I still cant understand that why a program just all of a sudden dont work!
    the technician that i took it to must have messed up my 98 machine! I wonder if by using my restore disc screwed up the computer somehow...... well anyways, I hope that when I get a router it will be alot simpler to fix those programs. my 98 machine is prefectly fine, it actually boots up faster than the XP machine, ironically. Is their anything i should look for when getting a router?

25. Devinco

For your situation, you could look at one of the D-Link or Linksys routers with integrated hardware firewall. No specific models to recommend, haven't done research on them lately. You should check the router specific forums for the models you are interested in. It should have enough LAN ports to handle your current needs as well as future plans. Probably a 4 port model would do. The firewall should have SPI Stateful Packet Inspection. It is common now even on entry level routers. It should have an easy to use webpage interface for configuring all the settings (also becoming more common). The router configuration should have password protection to prevent modification once it is all set up. It should also have a DHCP server for automatic IP assignment for the clients. A DMZ(De-Militarized Zone) port is a plus. It lets you plug a computer into a special port to completely bypass the router's firewall. This is useful when troubleshooting, for web servers, and when there is no other option to get your selected program to work.
    A router won't magically solve all your problems. You will still need to configure it. But if you properly configure it, it will boost your security and simplify your setup.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.