A problem with using of GW...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ICuba, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICuba

ICuba Registered Member

A problem with using of GeSWall...

Every time when i've installed some untrusted or isolated applications and those applications crash, because it's deny by GW. I don't understand that. It's incomprehensible for me. There's no point in it. I think applications should be isolated, but they should be run... Sorry for my bad english guys. I hope you know what i mean. Could anybody explain it for me why is that?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Do you mean you are trying to install applications as isolated/ untrusted? In that case GW will not allow them to be installed properly. This is the job of GW.

Install the applications outside of GesWall as trusted. What applications these are by the way?

3. ICuba

ICuba Registered Member

Re: A problem with using of GeSWall...

"Do you mean you are trying to install applications as isolated/ untrusted?"
    - Yes, i do.

I know that if i want to install any applications i should use "as trusted". But for example how can i appraise apps is it dangerous for my system or not? I can't, because a lot of apps i can't install of my system. GeSWall deny access. For example Defensewall allow to install all untrusted apps, but if that programs are a threats you can use "rollback".
    I see you use CPF and GeSWall, you don't have AV and how do you perceive threats?

"What applications these are by the way?" A lot of apps, for example codec packs, adobe flash player, IObit Smart Defrag etc.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

GesWall is not for this purpose.

If you need to install doubtfull applications, use a virtualization software like Returnil or you can use SAndboxie.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW why you can,t trust adobe flash player. Also Defrag software can,t work at all inside a sandbox even if you are able to insdtall it.

6. ICuba

ICuba Registered Member

OK, i thought GeSWall work just like DefenseWall, but it wasn't like it. That is now i should install AV or Snadboxie if i would like feel a safe?
    For example if you've a new app but you don't know the app is safe then do you scan the app AV on-demand, use Sandboxie or Returnil? What's your action in such a situation? What do you think, what's better?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  7. fce

fce Registered Member

use returnil....when i used to install new apps inside sandboxie, sometimes it give me error message.

or if you want, use rollbackrx so that you can save your new apps if it's working fine..... or you can rollback to your previous snapshot if the new apps is fvcked-up.

8. ICuba

ICuba Registered Member

Thank you for your opinion. I think i'll try rollbackrx and returnil this weekend.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

GesWall is very similar to DefenceWall-- it,s correct.

GesWall or DefenceWall are suitable to install and try unknown/ doubtfull software -- it,s wrong. You misunderstood both of these security tools.
    All depends upon ur expertise. liking and habits. Try different solutions n see what u like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.