A poll ~~ for TDS-3 users.

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Pawthentic, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawthentic

Pawthentic Registered Member

Hi everyone. :D

I'm taking a survey, for no reason in particular.

Why did you buy TDS-3? Out of all the different products offered by various people/companies...why did you pick TDS-3?

Thanks! :cool:

Hilly.

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

(a) because they have grit.

Example: Their program allows you to 'proactively' defend yourself against intrusion (read the "Somebody is Interrogating me - How can I let them know that they shouldn't be messing with me?" section in the 'Help' FAQ's).

Not to mention the fact that, when MagicLantern was first discussed, my email to Wayne about it (before I had ever bought or even tried the program) was answered thusly:

"Hi Pete,
    We're based in Australia, so yes, from where we're standing the FBI are just another team creating trojans, and yes we will add detection in any way possible should we get our hands on their trojan.

Best regards" (that would be grit ). From this oldie but goodie thread: http://pub24.ezboard.com/fsecureyesecurityfrm6.showMessage?topicID=160.topic .

(b) because you get a lot more for your money than trojan protection - you can resolve, ping, trace, tcp- connect to target hosts, be notified by email by TDS when attackers scan your IP range for open trojan ports by use of the 'initialized sockets' - selecting either automatic port selection (based on the ones most commonly targeted) - or selecting the ports you want notified on yourself - Port reference, Reverse Port Reference, String Extract, WhoIs - the list simply goes on and on and on... the bottom line of which is that there are probably many programs on your comuter that you'll be able to actually remove - because TDS already does all that!

Talk about 'bang for the buck'! (Okay, I'll be quiet now). Pete

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

they force me to advertise there pruduct at trojan gun point lol

4. Pawthentic

Pawthentic Registered Member

Well, almost 20 views and only two replies. Hey, I'll take that poll! ;)

I guess there were a few reasons I had in mind:

1. I wanted a reliable trojan scanner, and while I don't recall seeing any reviews, the demo of TDS-3 sure caught everything I threw at it. There were also multiple ways to catch things, which was a selling point, if I recall correctly.

2. I wanted great support, and that includes updates. I don't have qualified information, but I believe the signatures in TDS-3 to be the largest, most extensive trojan-specific database of it's kind. It's religiously updated. Support is top-notch, excluding weekends... but hey, I don't work weekends either. :)

(Of course both the developer's own forum and this group right here are great places to talk about TDS-3 issues, too.)

3. I didn't want a "set-it-and-forget-it" application. I wanted bells and whistles, and sure enough TDS-3 is loaded with them.

4. I wanted something I could use on my LAN, for testing and general hijinks.

What little I do know about trojans and other malware I learned by doing, and originally by being infected. TDS-3 offered all I was looking for, plus a GUI with commonly-used tools.

So, that's why I went with TDS-3.

Regards,
    Hilly.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yep, lot of the above and more; i want to be in command and being able to act and analyse.
    I really hate it i was hardly around this last weekend while people decided to try me more then ever! Would have been a nice occasion to try out our toys of additional scripts.
    When you look at recent trojan/worm descriptions, you see several are capable of taking down security software, but i did not see them taking down TDS-3.
    Maybe nasties run off when they would discover we're running TDS-3 and are capable of going after them! They never know what our scripts can do. Also in the "nasties world" it seems to be used a lot to defend themselves.
    The support, the operators family, forums, tool box itself, education, etc.

6. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I was brainwashed by subliminal advertising at this board... :D

Well, I am running BOClean in the background as well, and I like the product a lot, but I wanted an antitrojan that would also scan on demand.

Besides, it has so many additional toys and tools, that this is one program I certainly won't tire of any time soon...

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Ahhhh don't tell it was my innocent blue eyes in the advertisements.

You'll ertainly enjoy the coming new toys Wayne mentioned in the private forum as well and i'm sure there's much more to come not mentioned at all yet!

8. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Very hard to think of a good reason that isn't already here on this list.

So I'll go for 2:

1. The speech engine with its friendly greeting.
    2. That amazing, ugly, horrible GUI. If TDS-4 is going to have a GUI which belongs in the 21st century, rather than something left over from the 1980s, then perhaps I'll refuse to upgrade. :D

9. grey_ghost

grey_ghost Registered Member

Hi,

The first reason was the reviews.

The second was as spy1 mentioned.

The third was as Jooske, bubs, and Pawthentic mentioned. :)

Regards,

10. n00bifEYEd

n00bifEYEd Guest

I found TDS-3 when I was looking for some network tools to do smoe security checking on my new router. I was a security n00b (still am), and still used ZA. When I seen the interface I thought that it looked real "hackerish" so it must be good. The fact that its main job was to fight trojans was only a bonus. I used it to port scan people who had port scanned me for the sub7 ports. I even used it to connect to a mail server interactively and sent some mail to some one! EHLO.

I also liked the sockets and being a scripter, thought ss3 was kewl! I haven't yet scripted anything but I will! I also wanted to get into the private forum. Still waiting for the "special ops" however (whatever that is)

All in all, neat prog, the trojan scanner is good to have, but the network stuff is the most fun. I kinda thought of that stuff as DCS giving UNIX power to windows users who don't have or understand UNIX.

Also with all the fighting that occurs over this product, i knew it must be good. Nobody bother to argue over some craoppy prog. The trojan writers must be very intimidated by TDS3! They slag it on every security newsgroup and forum. Plus DCS infiltrates trojan groups with ease, they must hate that!

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:oops: When first attched to Broad Band in August 2000 & before I had my firewall up i.e. within ten minutes of connecting. I was infected by the QAZ trojan http://www.pchell.com/virus/qaz.shtml (even before MS!)

Fortunately the Trojan was being monitored by my ISP which informed me within an hour, how to remove it etc.
    Anyway this started me on the search to find out all I could about PC internet security including the creation of my basic security info' website www.pilliwinks.org.uk

TDS2 (then) Was the only Trojan hunter/scanner that included a fair trial period, excellent support, an active, extremely helpful forum,the ability to "fight back" & it's rather quaint skinnable (who said old fashioned?) GUI. IMHO "There aint no better hole to go to" :) :) :)

12. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

It's a d.a.m.n. good program! Of all the programs I have, I play with it the most. I still have yet to tap into its full resources and potentials. It even scares me a little--which is good for growth and learning!

I found out about it here at Wilders. Where else? (That's a rhetorical question folks!)

(Note to MRBLAZE: Good LOL from "Trojan Gunpoint!") :D

13. Rickster

Rickster Guest

Why choose TDS? Scenario: Frank: “We need inside this guy’s OS to look around.” “OK, what’s up?” Bob asks. Frank: “Been bad mouthing the agency a long time and now C group says a he and others switched to pointers – we want the references.” Bob: “We worked that IP, can’t get in to deliver. Got the traffic, know his interests and defenses – delivery is a problem, but we’ll get in. Barry built a security tool the guy won’t be able to resist with a highly compressed RVL2 Trojan – just a matter of time ‘till he downloads and moves it along.” Frank: “What’s the hold up?” Bob: “He uses TDS-3, we’re still trying to morph the damn thing to avoid detection and compression doesn’t help. There’s another problem.” Frank: “What’s that?” Bob: “Com indicates he uses TDS’s system analysis persistently, so when RVL calls in, he’ll catch on - and there’s another problem.” “What?” Frank asks. Bob: “TDS-4 is coming out and we don’t know the effect yet.” Frank: “Then don’t bother, just take him out. Washington wants anyone who can avoid monitoring out of loop. Plant drugs and a weapon on him and see to it he never sees the light of day, if he makes noise – eliminate him.” Bob: “A 321? I love those.” Frank: “Get used to it, the new directive calls for 321’s from here out and the new NSP (neighbor/service provider) informant lines are lit like a Christmas tree on steroids.”

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

So you're suggesting running TDS .. protecting our systems with our life? Wow! Quite a story. And now in a nice show started with a SS3 script!

15. Rickster

Rickster Guest

Hardly…just tongue-in-cheek fun. A chance to tout the power of TDS and poke fun at our government’s methodical drift toward totalitarianism.

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

.....which govs will try to make special scanners to see if TDS might scan and elimenate their logging tools, intelligently hidden under innocent names in the primaries databases.... ... .... before they'll scan for the existence of TDS at systems at all! Which makes them their own victims: with this they're hackers, which following their own new laws should be jailed with life sentence, or we get the old proof "what the Emperor is allowed, is not allowed to the cow" which will bring the whole worldwide protest on their neck and UN and human rights movement and International Court and GreenPeace and political refugees (we have some over here from there already) ....... .... they can't remove people's protection: which makes them crackers or hackers malicious which might even bring death penalties following their own dictatorial laws... they step in their own traps, visible for the whole world!
    Viva TDS! we want more! Yep! Those Aussies understand what we want, what the world needs now! It takes TDS to stop a world revolution! No need for politics and governments, we just want TDS! TDS for president! Yeah!!! Diamond Gates open to eternal freedom, to safety, our shield and trust! Wow! TDS for president! Vote for TDS! We want more TDS! TDS central in our lives and our computer systems, we can't be without the friendly asking bits of our lunch and recommendation not to eat our keyboards, how to get up without the Cuckericuuuuuuuuu of TDS in the morning or reminding us to add sleep to our to-do list at 5 a.m..... not to mention the personal additions with the scripts and msagents jumping over our screens and voice controlled taking care of our systems, starting coffee machines and scans everywhere we want to scan anything at all.... no gov is going to take this from us! Protect TDS with our lives! If they had it on their gov computers they would not have been intruded so much and not needed their laws!
    I know the govs read these boards for sure so their only logical next step would be ordering half a million licences for their governmental computer systems. But here is a little problem: TDS is for advanced users only in fact.... hmmmmm hmmmm .... and so the licenced TDS operators with many good karma points found themselves spammed with job offerings.. hmm here's the anti-spam law in the way....
    TDS for president, just start this whole society all anew, start with TDS. Is there TDS in the afterlife?

17. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

WOW! You are a real TDS enthusiast, aren't you Jooske! :D

Technodrome

18. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:D Actually, I can answer her last question.
    Jooske? As long as you understand how to make energy move and do stuff, you can make anything you want! I guess I'll come over to your boards to say more. It can be pretty deep (some here might say "deep-end" LOL)! See you there. ;)

19. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Question should have been first "is there life without TDS?"
    Hardly....

Suppose you mean SpeakIt at topica? Looking forward to your contributions then! People who do understand intuitively at least some of quantum mechanics can do a lot yep!

20. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Why ?

Because that update guy works hard ;)

Because those programmer guys work hard ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.