A NOD32 Vista Machine Setup - Help!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Hangetsu, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Hello all!

After doing some (lots of) research, I'm going to grab a license for NOD32 to put on my new Vista box. My question is, what would the NOD32 gurus here recommend to complete the security of the machine?

I use the machine primarily for online gaming (so a small footprint / utilization is important) and work stuff (so effectiveness is important too). Any recommendations on what I should get to augment my NOD32 install? HIPS or outbound firewall, etc.?

Most of what I've seen thus far has been beta software, not something I want to put on my primary machine.

Thanks!

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi !

You are more than fine with NOD32 only .

Windows Vista has improved Windows Firewall which has two-way firewall (includes both incoming and outgoing protection) .

With all the additional security feautures which Vista has , such as Protected Mode in Internet Explorer 7 , User Account control , Parental Control , DEP , I am sure that Windows Firewall and NOD32 would be excellent setup for your computer ! ;)

3. Hangetsu

Thanks for the quick reply!

I knew the Windows firewall was much improved, but I've heard the outbound protection left something to be desired. Granted, since its a new machine the idea is to avoid getting anything nasty on there in the first place!

Sounds good though - To be honest, I don't go to any sites that are questionable (I use Firefox and SiteAdvisor to filter those out), so you're probably right. Thanks again!

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome !

Even with inbound protection , Windows Firewall is excellent .

Site advisor works for IE , too . In my opinion , IE7 with Protected mode is really secure , even more security from Firefox .

Make sure your Windows is always updated , Windows Firewall is always enabled and NOD32 always active/updated ;)

5. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi
    I agree with HiTech
    Many may disagree with me, but the Vista firewall is much improved over the XP firewall.
    To get the detail setup for both (outgoing and incoming) you need to go to the Group Policy. There are many instructions available, but for starters, here is one.
    http://searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid45_gci1217062,00.html
    With Vista firewall and NOD .. IMHO that is a good combination.
    Cheers :)

6. Hangetsu

Awesome, thank you! Just put my order in :D

7. joel406

joel406 Registered Member

8. Hangetsu

So far so good with NOD32 on Vista (wish iTunes was in similar working order... :'( )

Anyway, has anyone found a site that details how to get outbound filtering working well with the Windows Firewall? I know its not really a NOD32 - specific question, but I'm really getting frustrated trying to get answers elsewhere (non-existent), and I don't like outbound being a free-for-all...

9. fredra

fredra Registered Member

10. Hangetsu

LOL... Its only a friend if you know what to ask :D My searches all day for "Windows Firewall with advanced security outbound" didn't find me squat!

These look great, thank you!

EDIT: Actually, first glances can be deceiving: The first link was for an XP site, the second doesn't go into how to configure outbound filtering (while allowing Microsoft services through). Still stuck, it seems.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  11. fredra

fredra Registered Member

You are welcome....
    Sorry, I was not intending to sound scarcastic or rude... it was meant as a joke... I forgot the smiley :)
    Those two should give you all the information you need to setup the Vista firewall.... :) :)
    Glad to be of assistance.
    P.S. Try this one..... http://www.vistahunt.com/windows-vista-two-way-firewall.html
    Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.