A Nice New Feature to Be Incorporated (shutdown after scan)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by uc-icq, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Over the years I've been in a habit of doing a complete system scan right after a day's work, usually at midnight. Wouldn't it be nice if version 3 has a handy feature incorporated that allows user to schedule computer shutdown upon scan completion? This way I don't have to stay up through the annoying hours till it wraps up. I know it's easy to realize this so I'm assuming that it doesn't hurt to get it done?

I would appreciation your thoughts and opinions. Thank you.;)

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Re: A Nice New Feature to Be Incorporated

Change your habit :) With real-time protection enabled , why it is necessary to perform full scan every 24 hours. Once or twice in a month is enough - you can also choose full scheduled scan to run in the background without you noticing it at all.

3. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Just so you know, a great number of people are expecting this feature on the local security forum. So I'm not speaking for myself, but also pleading on their behalf. :)

4. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I agree with HiTech_Boy but we all have different habits.

My only query with this would be what if after the scan it required user intervention on something that had been found? Would it just shutdown regardless or sit a wait for someone to click something? Or I suppose it would automatically clean any infections found.

FYI I run a full scan once a month but other than that I'm happy to rely realtime protection to "protect" me.

5. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. I know I look like a bit paranoid, but I just wanna have this nice little feature that lets me go to sleep when I'm done with my computer.

6. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Other security solutions have this feature, such as KAV for instance. So it really misses out to see that NOD32 doesn't have such. And if there's some nasties caught on the way, NOD32 will have it logged and prompt for user options first thing in the morning. It doesn't hurt to have it done I think?

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If cleaning level is set to (2) the highest , then ESS will automatically clean/delete threats BUT no matter the level , if Probably unknown heur_PE virus is found the current ESS will always prompt the user for action . This is made to prevent deletion of a non-malware files (in case of false positive, even though it extremely rare with Eset products)

8. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

It can be as simple as a small box underneath the manual scan window which says 'shut down computer when scan is finished' and which user can choose to check or uncheck. Please, ESET team, give it a thought.

9. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. How about in this particular context, just have it logged rather than automatically handled and prompt for user action first thing in the morning?

10. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Yeah that would work. Suppose there's no harm to include it then it's up to you whether you use it or not. No harm in that.

11. loong

loong Registered Member

I think that's necessary too

12. nameless

nameless Registered Member

FWIW, you can accomplish this with NOD32 2.x using a batch file, and I'm sure that the same will also be true of NOD32 3.x. You would simply create a batch file that ran nod32.exe to do the scan, and then ran a command-line utility* that could shut down (or hibernate, whatever) your computer. You could either run this batch file manually (i.e. double click a shortcut), and/or have it run as a Scheduled Task every night.

* Windows XP has such a utility built in [shutdown.exe], but it fails to make some systems power off. There are better third-party alternatives if this is the case for you.

13. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

And it's extremely useful for those that are dying to have this feature like me. Those who don't really need it can choose to have it ticked off, no harm done. NOD32 has a fame for user customization, wouldn't it be even better to dot the i's and cross the t's and round it up to perfection.

Running full scan in the background would be a pain in the neck especially when one's doing some heavy duty tasks. Keep in mind not everyone has a high-end computer. Most of people don't.

Comments from ESET team would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for being supportive, Ade 1.

14. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

I'm fully aware that such utilities exist. But I for one do not really fancy this idea because firstly I'm not sure if the command line utility shuts down my computer as soon as the scan finishes. Secondly it would make no sense to deny a handy feature that other vendors have already offered, a feature as part of integrity which should have been incorporated, which to our grief still ain't in the current beta program. Therefore I'm filing a request on behalf of thousands of others and I'm hoping my request will meet with positive response from NOD32 team. Thanks for your advice but I see no point in rejecting a customer's request that can be easily accomplished, totally harmless and universally beneficial.

15. nameless

Of course it would; the program that performs the shut down would run immediately after nod32.exe exited. Using a command line utility would also give you options (forced shutdown, hibernate, standby, etc.) that no doubt would be left out of NOD32, even if such a feature were to be added.

I wasn't suggesting that your idea be denied. I was just trying to offer a helpful alternative, that you could use immediately. Since you said you wanted this feature "[So] I don't have to stay up through the annoying hours till it wraps up", I thought instant gratification of some kind would be welcome.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  16. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

Thanks for clearing things up for me. Still I prefer this feature running within NOD32 so I don't have to fuss over other programs/command line utilities. It's the scanner's job after all.

I honor that and I appreciate your help.

I happen to be moderating a local NOD32 fanboy forum in China where we have 17,000+ members and out of the most active members, approx. 1/3 of them, are repeatedly requesting this feature. I wasn't exactly exaggerating.

17. nameless

I can understand that. It's easier and simpler to use the application itself.

Honestly, though, I use batch files (run by Task Scheduler) with NOD32 2.7 to run scans anyway. The advantage is that you can see the scanner window, whereas the NOD32 scheduler hides it. (My preference is to see what's going on, especially when something very CPU/IO intensive like a scan is going on.) Hopefully they at least provide the option to show the scanner window with 3.x.

The batch file could be as simple as:

Code:
    start "" /wait nod32.exe C:\
    shutdown.exe -s
    I'll shut up now!

18. uc-icq

uc-icq Registered Member

That certainly helps as a temporary solution. But the thing is, I'm not asking ESET to have this handy feature incorporated in next update, I'm asking to have it added in next generation of NOD32 antivirus system, NOD v3 and/or ESS. Given the months ahead for on-going development, we're in pretty good shape to have this nice little feature sorted out that means a lot to many of us. Please, ESET!

19. Galaxykiss

Galaxykiss Registered Member

what a good idea.
    but somehow if eset think their product can blocks the viruses , while some user still infected virus and don't need a full system scan?

20. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

I agree, it would make a good feature to allow users to decide whether they want the computer to shut down (or not) after a scan completes.
    Others DO have it, I know from experience, and just like most DVD/CD burn programs like Roxio and Nero, offer to shut off the computer after the burn/project is completed.

It's not a difficult task at all, just as "nameless" uses in his Batch file solution, most of these other programs that have this feature use the MS shutdown.exe to execute this task for them. A simple call to execute "shutdown.exe" on scan completion is simple to code into the GUI. In fact it MAY be an option that just hasn't been enabled into the beta builds yet, but is in the plan for a final release, so until we see what the final looks like, I guess we shouldn't Assume that it won't be a part of ESS just yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.