A Long Time...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by manOFpeace, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hello, my "Weekly Scan of C Drive" has started to take a very long time to complete. This morning almost 1½ hours. This has been the time taken these past few scans. Is this normal? :doubt:

Attached Files:

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It will depend on the files/types scanned . And under such circumstances , yes - it could be normal . For example your "System Restore" folder is getting bigger and bigger (by default it is enabled) . You get new files every month with the new Microsoft updates . Don't forget the temp files which might also grow

I suggest you to empty your %temp% directories , flush system restore and try again :thumb:

3. manOFpeace

Hello HiTech_boy, thanks for reply. I have three self made restore points, don't know what has happened to automatic ones. They were OK until lately. On checking my %temp% folder I see 47.2 kbs. I try to keep a lean mean machine! Perhaps there is a build-up elsewhere.
    On checking back to last weeks time it is a little bit less @ 1.14.58
    I will sometime try an ordinary scan to see how long it takes for that. :)

Belarc tells me I need 57 Windows updates, I'm not too keen on loading some of them.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi manOFpeace ! :)

Let us know the results after "cleaning-up" the machine ;)

5. manOFpeace

Hello HiTech_boy, what do you mean by "cleaning-up" the machine. Sorry to ask what is probably a simple question. o_O

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

clean your your %TEMP% folders etc.

I use and recommend ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com) - it's free and has a couple nice tools as well, ie, you can remove items from your startup, and it has a half decent registry cleanup option.

hth

Greg

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , I mean what I wrote in my first answer . Although you have only 3 restore points , just flush the function . Run Disk Clean-up (Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools) and then scan again ;)

8. webyourbusiness

1 more thing I always do is reduce the amount of disk space that can be used by IE and Mozilla for temp storage - by default, IE will take up to 10% of the disk it is install on (at least on my XP system) - on my machine, that would be a whopping 15Gb (150Gb primary drive) - that's retarded. I change it to 50 or 100Mb.

In IE:
    Tools | Internet Options | General | Temporary Internet Files | Settings

If you have a scan that has literally many GB less of data to scan, that will help a lot!

9. webyourbusiness

In Firefox 2 - Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Cache

10. webyourbusiness

I want to address your first question - is 5000 seconds normal?

Well... I just checked two machines...

the one I'm set at now is a dual-core with almost a terabyte of disk, but only perhaps 5% used - this machine's scan is 1400 seconds for my weekly deep scan.

One of my work machines only has an 80Gb drive that is almost full - lots of small files, lots of zips - that machine's deep weekly scan was 8000 seconds - ie is a lowly athlon 1500+ processor with a gig of ram...

so... is this now "normal" - I think it might be. I haven't taken notice of these in a while - but I do think they have increased probably a significant amount on their scan time in the last year, and I don't tihnk it's my machine, perhaps an update added something that takes a long time to scan certain file types, but I have EVERY option turned on for both of these machines, and my weekly scans occur in off-peak times, ie, during the night, so I never notice them.

hth

Greg

11. manOFpeace

Hello HiTech_boy and webyourbusiness, Thanks for all the help and "research" you have put in to help me. I already use CCleaner, run it every other day. I ran a couple of "ordinary" Nod32 scans and they took just under 6 mins.
    I haven't gotten round to do the clean-up yet but I will. It looks like the deep scan time could be the norm.
    Dinners ready and "her indoors" has called and you know what that means. o_O
    Will report back later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.