A little question

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Detox, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

How safe is MSN Messenger? I use ICQ already and a friend of mine wants me to get Messenger to talk with them... Or are both of these things nasty proggies? hehe

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

IMO, a much better solution would be for both you and your friend to d/l and install Trillian: http://www.trillian.cc/ , since then you can both keep the chat program of your choice but yet you'll still be able to IM each other.

Learn to use all the features of Trillian and I'm pretty sure you'll start wondering how you ever got along without it. Pete

3. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Detox:

I agree with Pete 100%! There is also the problem with spam with many users of MSN's Messenger. Trillian all the way.

John

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

And in reference to your other question, "Or are both of these things nasty proggies?", I'd say, if you're currently using ICQ, you better have gone to this page: http://www.icq.com/support/security/ and read/applied all the measures you can to secure itbefore d/l'ing/installing/using Trillian.

That page says it all: "The ICQ security and privacy features and options, may not operate according to the description provided throughout these pages or may not operate at all. " Quite a disclaimer, eh?

As for your friends' IM program (MSM Messenger), well, if MSMM or AIM were the last two IM programs on earth - I wouldn't be using one. Pete

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Oh boy ICQ sounds a little worse than I thought also! I"m checking out this Trillian thing and definitely going to your link Pete! Thanks!

6. Liquid_Fish

Liquid_Fish Registered Member

I quit using ICQ as soon as they put that http server into the IM client.   Took me several months to discover that I was running a web server every time I logged into ICQ.  

7. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

I agree that Trillian is the best choice for instant messaging.
    I never open MSNM, AOL or Yahoo.  I don't even have ICQ installed on my machine--not since two reformats ago :D  Trillian has practically all the features of the separate clients without all their security issues.  Try it--you'll never go back.

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Trillian is all that but it is also hungry for the memory!!!! It uses 16-17 MB on my computer.

The Big Nahh from me!!!

Technodrome

9. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Spyware Fighter

I got lots o' memory for Trillian to use. Trillian is the only way to go. Doesn't install phone home loadqm.exe like MSN Messenger. :)

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I tried MSN later on, for who-knows-what stupid reason...

And it kept trying to phone home like you said, so I used TrojanCheck 5 to remove the offending EXE that it had placed in Windows. When I did that, my browser (IE 5.0) performance went to the floor and my broadband connection was useless for surfing the web although my email and online games, etc worked perfectly. Another one of my observations where the connection is there although I don't know exactly what it is. Anyway I fixed the problem by being (as SPY1 pointed out) the last person on earth to upgrade to IE 5.5 sp2.

11. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Spyware Fighter

All ya gotta do with M$ phone home loadqm.exe is run msconfig and uncheck loadqm.exe in start up menu.

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Detox,

Although TC offers this possibility, it's aimed at trojans in specific. Quite a harsh method you have been using here  :eek:. Be careful using this option from TC!

regards.

paul

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well I suppose you are right, but it's my personality ;-) I'm about to graduate with a law enforcement degree and am very seriously considering a masters, with my long term goal being SWAT here in Texas. So... I kinda like the "kick in the door approach! lol... on a more serious note Ihave taken your warning to heart, and will look for softer methods on my computers...

Hmmm now everyone's going to be apprehensive of me... Don't worry guys I'm the paranoid type too I just wanna do some good out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.