a lastpass like solution for live mail or outlook?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ams963, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

I use lastpass ff add-on.......this makes my login hassle free......but the problem is with using outlook or win live mail........lastpass generate my passwords......I've to write down the new passwords from lastpass and then enter them into outlook or live mail......

I wonder if there is solution like .....you know.......do the same thing as lastpass with outlook and live mail.....

Best Regards,
    ams963

2. poison

poison Registered Member

I think keepass would work ok for you. Once outlook requests your password just hit ctrl alt and a and keepass will type your password from the database into outlook or anything else you configure it to do. It should be easy to import your lastpass passwords in to keepass too.

take a look at http://keepass.info/

3. wsf5896587

wsf5896587 Registered Member

4. poison

poison Registered Member

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

so keepass would do that?.....that's awesome :D .......but I know very little about keepass......is it as good and secured as lastpass?............

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

actually I'm looking for free options.....

7. poison

poison Registered Member

Very secure. Your entire database is encrypted with EAS/Rijndael 256 bits. You can set it to enter your password in a secure desktop manner which dims the screen like UAC control and set it to lock out after so long. The weak point is of course your password but you can use a key file if you wish to make it more secure. It also has password guessing and dictionary attack prevention.

When I first tried it I wasn't all that impressed but now I love it and even donated. Once you have all the options set up to your liking and imported/created your database entries it just sits in the background and once you hit CTRL ALT A in the target window it will fill out the entry for you.

It has a portable version too so you can put keepass and your password database on a USB stick or upload to dropbox if your happy storing it there.

It may not be to your liking but I would at least give it a try for a while.

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@poison

I tried KeePass......observed a few things........first of all the import of database from lastpass was not as smooth as I thought it would be.......KeePass saved the new imported lastpass csv file but the file had url as title of each entry.....so I could not use global autotype feature in browser at first.......when I put the url in it's place and typed in the title I could use the global autotype feature........then I could not autotype in security software like mbam and zemana antilogger......not with global auto-type or auto-type for entry........even if I copied the password it wouldn't work.....I had to edit the entry, view the password and then type it........
    I like KeePass though.......it's not as automatic and easy as lastpass but with keefox combined it's just as good.......

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

okay......um.......is there an option in KeePass so that it starts in the tray on windows startup?.......I've to start it manually.......

10. poison

poison Registered Member

I've never imported a LastPass database into KeePass so I can't comment on that. I would have thought it would have been a smooth process though. :|
    To auto type the password in other software I think you may need to set up the target window. You can set that up by editing an entry and selecting the Auto-Type tag then add the target window there.
    To start KeePass with Windows select tools > options > integration and select run KeePass at Windows start up. I think you can set it to start in the tray under the interface options.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@poison
    thx a lot........:thumb:

12. poison

poison Registered Member

No problem! I hope that KeePass fits your needs. Play with it for a while and I'm sure you'll get to know all its features and really like it in the end.

There's options to import KeePass kdbx databases on many mobile devices as well such as the free MiniKeePass for iOS with dropbox support. If you have a smart phone I'm sure they'll be something for your device should you wish to go down that road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.