a good vpn recommendation as of september 2013?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by izzygetty, Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Re: a good vpn recommendation as of spetember 2013?

Sorry for the really late reply. I have had very little internet access for the past 3 weeks due to a really crappy ISP. They have to be one of the worst in the nation.

I would stay away from PPTP if at all possible. It is very unsecure, and it leaks DNS like crazy. If you need to use a VPN service on a portable device then try to stick with L2TP if at all possible. You should use OpenVpn with anything that supports it because it is more secure than the other protocols you have listed. Open VPN client supports stronger encryption, and offers better DNS leak protection. If you can setup your Firewall to support DNS leak protection then do that as well. Also I use some software called VPN Check Pro that will detect if you loss connection to your VPN, and can be configured to automatically kill any application that is connected to the internet once VPN connection has been lost. It works really well. You can find it here -http://www.guavi.com/vpncheck_pro.php

I don't have any experience with AirVpn, or PureVpn. I have never used them. The only ones I have tried recently is Jondonym, and PrivatVpn.

Jondonym does not support using some applications with their services. They offer strong anonymity with limited functionality. You can't just run an application, and have it's traffic routed through Jondonyms network without doing some configuring on your part, and that is if they allow that type of traffic on their network. They also can be a little expensive. They do offer strong anonymity though if they support your needs. They are a three HOP anonymous service similar to Tor, but with strong encryption. A lot of sites will not work with their default browser settings so you may have to allow session cookies, etc.. Be aware they have some of the same vulnerabilities as Tor. If an application such as Java or Flash lunches from a website you have visited it can possibly bypass Jondonym Network all together. So you really need to block Java, Flash, and other similar application to keep from leaking your anonymity. That comes back to usability though since many websites operate with no or limited functionality if you disable Java or Flash. The same thing is true with blocking cookies which is not as big as a problem since they would not likely leak your IP from you ISP like Java, and Flash. I'm not saying a cookie cannot leak your IP because I think it possibly could if it was a malicious tracking cookie, but it's not likely in comparison to Java, and Flash.

PrivatVpn uses OpenVpn Client, and is very fast the last time I checked. They also offer routes in many different privacy friendly countries. I would use them again for my use. You should do your own research as to how anonymous they really are, and decide if they provide the right level of anonymity for you needs. Here is their website. -https://www.privatvpn.se/en/

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Btw. IVPN seems to offer strong anonymity in comparison to many other VPN services from their literature on their website. It would be interesting to see an independent study done of them in comparison with many of the other VPN services. I just don't know why they offer so few routes when they talk about being a Multi Hop VPN. Well.. I'm sure it has to do with money, but to get the benefit of having a Multi Hop network then you need more routes than they have listed to take advantage of the technology.

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

iVPN has issues for me on UDP. They also only have one person answering support which sometimes takes days. iVPN seems to have a problem with single stream downloading from UDP, TCP is find but again for what ever reason is capped at 8mbps down stream. I like them but they just seem to have configuration problems, Multihop can be a problem as well as for someone like me from the UK the UK in server is UK2 hosting which is poor, so it lets the whole speed of the multiple hop system down. Why have fast Netherlands port servers and slow UK ones, it just slows the whole process down.

4. izzygetty

izzygetty Registered Member

thanks a lot for sharing your experience and thoughts edge.
    regards

5. imdb

imdb Registered Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't you be achieving all that when you set up your vpn at router level? of course, except for those who want other users on their network to connect to the internet via local isp.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  6. Magic Missile

Magic Missile Registered Member

Personally, I use my laptop on the go a great deal, and I'm sure others do as well. All that's getting out is program update checks which I don't mind so much. Is there a scenario where this could actually be an issue?

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i'm afraid there're multiple scenarios that this could be a very serious issue for some, one being there might happen dns leaks in your system when there are two different connections to the internet, vpn tap connection and the other local connection, thus causing your local ip being identified by those sites you connect via vpn service.

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

What imdb said!

Generally, it depends on your goals. If you just want a little anonymity on social media, forums etc, a little leakage of DNS queries and OS updates doesn't matter. But if you would suffer serious consequences if deanonymized, any leak is potentially disastrous. Under such circumstances, preventing leaks is one of the most basic prerequisites. Another is compartmentalization, so mixing all activities on one machine is a huge mistake.

9. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

See this also:

http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/

10. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

Depend the programs, maybe could reduce your anonymity. I wonder maybe your collection of programs can be kind of fingerprint, like browser fingerprint. If you have collection of programs (and versions of programs) that is unusual, when they phone home maybe your signature will stand out. For someone not care about anonymity, not a problem -- but problem if anonymity important.

11. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

12. Taliscicero

I would say a human would be the more likely candidate to crack any human technology. We could always get a vogon to read poetry to it, I hear that nothing in the galaxy can withstand their poetry.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

14. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Anyone know LiquidVPN <-https://www.liquidvpn.com/pro-vpn/->?

They're touting a "Tor-like" (my words) "Modulating IPs" where the exit IP changes frequently during browsing etc. It's an interesting idea, but (1) they will never (dangerous to say, I know) have as many different exit IPs as Tor does, and (2) changing IPs constantly will break some sites just like Tor does.

15. Taliscicero

I just had a first look. I would stay away by my first impressions. You look at all the VPN greats and you notice one thing. They don't need flashy animations and icons everywhere, their products sell themselves. iVPN + Mullvad + BolehVPN + AirVPN + PIA etc etc etc, too much flash is a show.

16. Look no one is going to tell you which one you should choose nor should they. We have opinions sure, but those just like #snipped as per TOS everyone has them.

Try each VPN out for yourself and see which ones fits you best, some people have given some very good recommendations in this thread like AirVPN, Mullvad, BolehVPN, Insorg, Privateinternetaccess and so forth.

Choose which one YOU think is best for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
  17. Taliscicero

People don't know, we provide.

18. caspian

caspian Registered Member

4_1_721.gif

19. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks for the info Taliscicero! It sounds like they would not be the VPN for me until they take care of the UDP issue, and offer faster support. I think the 8 mbs is plenty fast enough for most users, but some anonymous VPN services offer much higher bandwidth on the download. Do you happen to know what kind of upload speeds they offer?

20. Cutting_Edgetech

No problem at all! I'm here to learn as well.

21. Cutting_Edgetech

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Could someone tell me what routes Mullvad VPN offers? They seem to be popular here, but they have very little info about their services on their site. Where are their servers located? Are they a single HOP, double HOP, or 3 HOP network?

23. Taliscicero

Mullvad;

Netherlands x6 servers.

nl1.mullvad.net
    nl2.mullvad.net
    nl3.mullvad.net
    nl4.mullvad.net
    nl5.mullvad.net
    nl6.mullvad.net

Sweden x2 servers.

se1.mullvad.net
    se2.mullvad.net

Germany x2

de1.mullvad.net
    de2.mullvad.net

USA x2

us1.mullvad.net
    us2.mullvad.net

UDP / TCP on all servers. *(Obfsproxy Optional)* (only single hop on all servers.)

TCP and UDP speeds are good, they also have their own default DNS server which many don't which is on (nl3.mullvad.net).

24. imdb

imdb Registered Member

some might not have the time, money, experience or knowledge to try & choose the right one. that's why they come here to consult the other memebers.
    sigh :rolleyes:

25. Taliscicero

ComputerSaysNo is very aggressive about his belief. In almost every thread on this part of the forum that he posts in, almost always he says the same thing. I understand what he is saying, but its very unhelpful to people who are asking the questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.