a good vpn recommendation as of september 2013?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by izzygetty, Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

:)

There are others who don't speak up as often :)

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Thanks.

I came in to let you guys know BolehVPN just updated a few of their servers "or so the data would make me believe" I found there is a new UDP France server and the UDP Netherlands server has a new name and has been greatly upgraded in speeds. I am a person who has trouble using UDP on VPN services due to my computer for whatever reason, I generally get slow single download thread speeds and fast multi-thread speeds. I am now getting 20-25MBPS down and 10MBPS up on both the France & Netherlands new servers. Which for me is very good as that's the maximum of my connection, this is also wireless. BolehVPN also did add a 24Hr trial for new users which you may wish to check out.

Just wanted to drop that info in. :thumb:

4. Less

Less Registered Member

may i getting it right?

i read from privateinternetaccess Google play that PI required user to login when connecting... isn't it irritating?

openvpn on windows also required user to login?

5. mirimir

All OpenVPN connections require some sort of login, but it may be automated (just click icon) or happen automatically at bootup. I don't use proprietary VPN service clients, so I don't know whether PIA's has a "remember password" option.

6. Taliscicero

PIA has auto-login I'm 100% sure as a few months back, I was messing around with it. I am wary of PIA though as they are UK based, and as we all know UK based VPN's can be risky "HideMyAss" although I would say PIA has a much better reputation in my eyes.

7. Less

Less Registered Member

for android....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.privateinternetaccess.android

"I'm doing something wrong? I'm sorry but having to try and type a complex password on the phone every time I want to connect to VPN is out of the question. Even with a regular keyboard it wouldn't be acceptable. "

i will go for it if it doesnt require password for both windows and android

8. Taliscicero

Windows has auto, I'm not sure about android but you really should be likely to find it for android with auto as well. If not with their client, use the OpenVPN/LT2P settings directly in your phone and you can get auto logins for sure. I just checked your page... It has "Save login Credentials" in the very first screenshot.

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Because ...hxxp://www.securitykiss.com/resources/whysecuritykiss/.... ;)

And here's what they say about PRISM ...hxxp://www.securitykiss.com/resources/articles/prism/...

Also because I like them and use the service. If you go for their paid plans you could get ....hxxp://www.securitykiss.com/pricing/.......

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  10. mirimir

And they're Irish :)

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

as stated in this review (https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/3711/private-internet-access-review/), sign-up process is almost non-existent. all it takes to start using their vpn service is to use an anonymous web-based email address during payment process which includes bitcoin, paypal, etc as options.

12. Taliscicero

I don't like securitykiss because of this reason, you can find this in their FAQ's

13. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

Yeah never liked that bit, "for security reasons"

lol

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well here's what they say:

15. Taliscicero

10 days is enough to create a correlation pattern to find out who used what just by those few logs. Its worse still if the letter organizations take control of the server farm as the logs now become a very different matter. HideMyAss had about the exact same logging structure, they just kept logs for longer. 10 days is more then enough to create problems though. Even worse if they keep those logs on a HDD at the server farm, as deleting them may not actually remove the data for months or even years depending on the size of the HDD. Hence why company's like iVPN use 10 minute logs which are stored in memory, so they can troubleshoot but nothing reminds after that period of time. Logging anything is really unnecessary though as everything abuse related can be taken care of with a firewall.

16. mirimir

Although I generally don't take such FAQs very seriously, I think that you're misreading these FAQs from SecurityKISS.

It's pretty clear from overall context that "IP address" here refers to users' IP addresses, and not the IP addresses of websites that users are visiting.

SecurityKISS provides free VPN service as an inducement to buy paid service, and so they must limit bandwidth and throughput (300 MB per day) of nonpaying users to survive. It does appear that their only goal here is tracking usage. Having your IP address logged by SecurityKISS isn't such a big deal. Your ISP logs that anyway, and NSA etc log it all in transit.

The question includes "Websites visited" but the answer doesn't mention that, just "we do not store logs with information about traffic type or content". But I'm willing to give them a pass here.

This is also reassuring.

I'll email support@securitykiss.com and ask about this.

Edit: I just did that :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  17. Taliscicero

I know, I am just very picky when it comes to logs. PureVPN for example claims to keep no logs. But if you actually pressure and ask them, they admit to logging a lot of things on the servers but no "user" logs. Which is kinda a trick, because technically they are not logging directly, etc etc.

18. Magic Missile

Magic Missile Registered Member

Still true, I use PIA. I starts up and connects automatically when I log into Windows. However, PIA comes late in the startup process for me (possibly because it's one of the last things I installed), I think (though I'm not sure) there are moments where applications and so forth are checking for updates that aren't going through the VPN at startup. This is despite the fact that I have the internet kill switch enabled. I don't really know how to check, but it's not something I mind for my purposes. If it's of interest, if someone tells me how to check, I can. Otherwise, very happy with PIA's speeds.

19. Taliscicero

Wireshark is a very good program, run packet capture on your main interface "not TAP" and you will see exactly whats going out encrypted/unencrypted. You should only see your local router port/addresses and your VPN server IP.

20. mirimir

As Taliscicero said, you can use Wireshark to see what's getting out. However, that won't show what's getting out during bootup, unless there's some way to start a capture very early. But perhaps your router can capture traffic, and you can download the capture file and analyze it with Wireshark.

In Linux, you can prevent such leaks by applying firewall rules before networking starts. I don't know whether Comodo or other Windows firewall apps can manage that.

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

How can you make a correlation from logs containing connection/disconnection time, IP address and also traffic volume, where IP address is the user's IP address? They reason for logging is to control usage for every user.

As mirimir has sent an email we may just as well hear from the official SecurityKiss support about this.:)

22. Magic Missile

Magic Missile Registered Member

Sure enough, things leak at startup. Unless you're diligent, it'll also leak when switched to a or from a wired connection I was about to download something, so turned on airplane mode, gave my laptop a few seconds, then plugged in the ethernet cable. PIA didn't 'transition' at all, I opened up Pale Moon and went to an IP check site and gave it plenty of time, but PIA never seems to have caught on, I had to disconnect and reconnect it to get it going again.

23. Taliscicero

If your on a windows machine, you can disable or delay the start of any program you want, meaning for wireshark you can delay everything else. Same goes with PIA, but it seems from the above post the feature is not working correctly. I would have to re-buy PIA to test it and right now, I can't really be bothered with that. ;)

24. mirimir

Can startup of all Windows services that access the Internet be delayed?

Or, at least, can all Internet access be delayed until after the VPN client connects successfully?

I've mostly forgotten whatever I once knew about Windows :(

25. Taliscicero

You can, but it would take a little fiddling with services.msc. I would not bother doing it manually, I am sure someone has a delay script for it some-where.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.