a good gmail alterative?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zx81, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

that's a big security flaw imo. gmx should definitely change this behavior.

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

dave, i just tried ddg. and yes it took me to the https page. BUT the problem is when you log in it turns back to plain http. that's a big shame. :thumbd:

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sure Dave, I went to duckduckgo.com searched for gmx found gmx.com clicked it and it took me to the https version this time.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, I believe some other email sites are the same with this behaviour. Out of curiosity I searched for GMX on QupZilla. Its default search engine is DDG.

qupddgjpeg.jpg

It looks OK to me. Do you think it is better to log-in with https even though the mail itself is not encrypted?

5. Daveski17

This is one of the reasons I like DDG so much. :thumb:

6. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i suppose it is, at least for your log in credentials. but as long as all your email traffic's on the air to intercept, i doubt it matters that much. :doubt:

7. Daveski17

Yeah, Yahoo! has a https log-in page but the mail itself is not encrypted. I suppose it can only get better.

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i don't have a yahoo account. but i just created one to test it. i can confirm that both yahoo mail and gmail are in https while logging in and after you log in.

9. Daveski17

I beg your pudding, you are quite correct. LOL Yahoo! have been a bit quiet about this.

10. Daveski17

Not so sure about AOL though. I'm pretty sure there's a way ...

zoidsaolPEG.jpg

Oh zoids! o_O

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

you darn right oh zoids! :D
    seems it doesn't support ssl after login. here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_Mail

12. Daveski17

13. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

After a few days, some feedback: trying outlook.com too, and think its a keeper over zoho, which seemed to have send/receive issues, on my sstem a least.

Its ironic as went to gmail originally from hotmail.
    I know google get mental revenue from adds so have money to play with, but I find the data mining creepy. Did you know they scan all your emails for keywords to add-target?
    And driverless cars? honestly, they should just give all these resources to good causes like easing human suffering (health care, famine, cancer). If they want to indulge, then do so with their own personal money.

If I know one thing, everything is cyclical by nature. IBM, MS, Apple, AOL....

There is a market for simple email, no tracking. If its paid to negate the data mining, I am not bothered doing so.

I have no problem with govermental monitoring, I would just like to use email as email with no social/add 'treacle'

14. Daveski17

Well I hope that the replies on this thread have been helpful to you. I'm curious about your problems with Zoho. What exactly were the issues if you don't mind me asking? I can't say that I've had any problems with it myself. Although I have to say that I can't actually sign into my account with QupZilla 1.4.4. At first I thought it was the ad filters but I reckon that the browser just breaks the log-in page. I hope that you have more success with Outlook than I have. Good luck.

15. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Outlook.com here too. Found it very good and doesn't scan your emails for adverts either.
    I was previously converted to Lavabit, which was great until that t##t Snowden ruined it for everyone and it disappeared. I would suggest outlook will be around much longer if you are looking for solid reliability

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I rarely use email these days except for at work. But I do use fastmail.fm on occasion with a paid account, but you can use it for free too, and can highly recommend it. After using fastmail for 11 years I doubt I will ever switch services, as I like to have all my emails in the one place.

17. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Fastmail is a solid provider, but they no longer offer free service.
    They do offer 250mb for a paltry $4.95 / yr.
    Been using them for 10 yr.s (I have a free account grandfathered from long ago).
    Finally opted for domain hosting so that I have a "forever" email address (for $26/yr).

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

what would be wrong with just paying for a domain name and getting mail that route? that way you could avoid most of the scanning, ads, etc most of the time and some domains can be had for pretty cheap.

19. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

after the latest changes in yahoo mail, i finally ditched it. i tried zoho mail but i had send/receive problems too (used it on Microsoft Outlook with IMAP). could never send an email (yes, the settings were as indicated).
    but live.com mail (aka outlook.com) is a keeper. clean interface, no lags, works with IMAP in Microsoft Outlook, free 7 GB storage, free web office applications. i only hope they don't mess it up like yahoo.

20. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

Yep, same software here so maybe a 64bit thing with zoho?
    Anyway I use outlook 2010 for email, so figure it should be more stable/supported

My wife still uses yahoo, I'll probably more her account to outlook.com too after some more time using it myself.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I do appreciate it.

21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I was unaware of that. For my main account I have been using the paid service for years, and not that long ago I upgrade my second account to a paid to give me more storage.

22. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I've been using Outlook.com and like it better than Gmail, with one exception - it limits the number of photo attachments that I can receive with incoming messages. For example, my daughter recently attached 6 jpegs to an email she sent me, but only 3 of them were received (and I've had this sort of thing happen with attachments from other senders)!

Cruise

23. rollers

rollers Registered Member

I wasn't aware of that so thanks for the heads up. I will remember to send them in blocks of three. Other than that, its been a faultless service. Changing your main email is such a hassle, so hopefully these won't do an overnight bunk like Lavabit did.

24. Daveski17

Although I am not a huge fan of Outlook I do quite often use Windows Live Mail.

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

What about Outlook, my favorite web based email service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.