A free AV war

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by no13, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

No 13, to answer your question, avast is the heaviest of the free AVs and it has had higher detection rates than Antivir in the past (almost as good as NOD). It's true that it scored below Antivir in the AV Comparatives testing but you'll notice that it was just 0.2%!! Not that big of a deal if you ask me. And no, script detection is not just for avast! Pro you're thinking of script blocking.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wonder where people found avast! to be heavy... TMIS was a really heavy bastard when i tried it. AntiVir is somewhere similar to avast!. Same is with AVG.

Also don't mess script malware and scripts.
    Script malware is intercepted by ALL antiviruses. Scripts itself are checked only by few of them. These scripts are connected to WSH (WIndows Scripting Host) and they are checked before execution. These scripts are scripts issued by web pages or programs on your hard drive.

3. erikguy

Yes, ewido is a dedicated anti-trojan so it should cover that area better than most of the AVs there. Seeing as how they got a...
    Trojan
    Script
    Macros
    viruses
    and worms
    Listing, I would think that other malware is probably referring to spyware and other less common sneakware.

4. erikguy

Well I'm on a 2.5 P4 system with 512MB of RAM and avast! NOTICABLY lags my system, I'm not saying it's horrific but it is noticable. Also you seem to be forgetting this little tid bit of information (see pic). BTW Rejzor, thanks for the avast! Mac skin, I love it!!

Attached Files:

5. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

What about using AnalogX script Defender for Scripts? Everytime one is run... it'll interecept and wait for user action.

How's this cocktail?
    Avast+ewido free+spybot [no teatimer]+adaware free+MSAS+SpywareGuard+SpywareBlaster
    Do I need add another real time guard here?

What's this AVX Script Wall in erikguy's sig?

Just FYI...
    Firewall:- a packet filter on top of Kerio 4[app control only] is being installed.
    SSM is being recommended as well.

6. JimF

JimF Registered Member

I tried it a few months ago on my Celeron 600 laptop with WinXP. CPU usage went to some high value - I think 40 to 50 percent, so I dumped it. That is probably due to some conflict and of course dependent on your particular system, but I have noticed similar complaints by other users.

7. no13

to thoise who recommend AntiVir... it's "Windows Virus" detection rate is abysmal in the ONE category that IMO would DEFINE an anti VIRUS product.

BUT... heuristics... are they of any use in AntiVir?

Can I have the mac skin too? Or will the Mac OS X transformation Pack take care of things?

8. erikguy

Right, that's the reason I picked up Script Wall, to cover that script blocking. Script Defender should also work for you and as an added bonus will also protect against the shscrap.dll vulnerability (if you will) in Windows. If you have no idea what I'm talking about I suggest you search the forums for "shscrap.dll". I pretty much have that same "cocktail" you're talking about there with no problems. I would also suggest a-squared free as a second opinion to ewido.

9. no13

ok.
    Thx a bunch gang [or is it gangue?]
    I'll pop back to this thread before sunday ends <GMT> for any updates.
    regards.
    me.

10. erikguy

Heuristics are a good idea for ANY antivirus. The skin is available from the avast site http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html Transformation pack? You mean a Windows theme in the style of Mac? Yeah I have one of those but It won't work for programs that have their own non-default, otherwise, skinned UI. So download the skin from the website.

11. no13

heyyyyyyy...
    where's that Mac skin?
    shd i PM rejzoro_O?
    or is there a download place?

Will the Mac OS X tranformation pack [that Puff-m-d uses] cover it?

Also... d'ya mean Script defener is better and/or equal to Script wall?

12. erikguy

No, don't PM Rejzor (he's a busy man ;) ). It is on that link I gave, look a little ways down. If you still can't find it PM me and I'll send it to you.
    I don't think the transformation pack will cover it because the Simple User Interface of avast! home is skinned, Windows will let any skinned program appear the way it wants. Like I said Script Defender will do what Script Wall does AND cover that security concern I was talking about.

13. no13

oops!
    you musta posted while I was posting....
    didn't see that.
    Sorry ;)

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thanks :) I created the skin for myself (i love the layout and design),but then i published it and it appears that many people like it :)

Now thats odd. I also have 512MB of RAM and an AthlonXP 2400+.
    Worked great without any lag. Now i overclocked the machine to 3400+ and there is no lag even on On-Demand scan (Standard without archives).
    I was using avast! on Maxtor 20GB 5400RPM 2MB cache and now on Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM 8MB cache. Which HDD do you have?

Oh and about the scripts...
    All avast! versions (Home,Pro etc.) can detect script viruses like LoveLetter or Melissa. avast! pro can detect these and also those scripts executed through WSH (dedicated Script Blocking provider). But honestly i haven't encountered any such scripts yet.

15. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Just some days ago I believed that NOD made an excellent improvement in it's trojanlike protection. My post 30. in the link below.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=69731&page=2

Just 3 days after I found an excellentent performer that was even able to overcome the NOD's achievements. After some 3 months AntiVir was able to increase it's Common PC Protection from 75.3 % to 90.1 %, Huh.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  16. no13

Again..
    FF comes along and upsets the apple cart...
    LOL

so now what?

should we dump Avast! for AntiVir?
    Or install both, and use each in turn?

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I'd recommend AntiVir+BitDefender Free Edition. BD is better at virii and AntiVir is better at Trojans and other Malware.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I can't (i don't want to) sacrifice small auto-updates for a better detection.
    Even though i'm on unlimited ADSL line. Downloading 1,5MB defs (each time),their servers almost always time out,servers are very slow,no auto-update checking...
    These are very serious cons imo.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  19. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

For now I'm sticking with Avast! because its the best Free AV, in the mean time I'll peek out my window every hour to make sure I'm not surrounded by little green men.

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

For those who want a free protection I suggest avast! HE for active scanner and AntiVir PE for backup...

AntiVir PE developers are doing a great job in relation of detection, and the incremental update is being developer, but avast! have a very good detection and have features that seems AntiVir will never have...

21. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

AntiVir's update system sucks. But detection is absolute in the first class. Only 0.3 percent behind ArcaVir against Common PC protection, that's avesome. Such great commercial av:s as BitDefender 8.0, NOD32 with AH and Command AV 4.92.8, have a heavy challence ahead to get the 90 % overall protection against my samples. I'm gonna install AntiVir immediately, when the update system is from this millenium.

Let's hope, Avast's GUI and update system and AntiVir's detection rate.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

22. Diver

Diver Registered Member

FF, could you post your most recent test results for Kaspersky (or its clone), or a link to same? Also, how much was the improvement to McAfee when the Antispy module was added?

23. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Some interesting recent results here; http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av.htm suggesting that a free layered defence of an AV and an AT can give excellent protection against trojans.

The results are at least comparable to running commercial AV scanners by themselves.

Seem to support FF's previous results here at Wilders ;)

24. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Blackcat-

Conversely, adding an AT to an already comprehensive commercial AV does not make much of a difference.

By the way, I find FF's results to make sense as well.

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Correct. Not free unless it is at least 12 mos. and not really then either imo. I only consider 12 mos free because after 12 mos I get the itch to try something else. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.