A free AV that let you choose what to do?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Aug 17, 2016.

1. guest

guest Guest

I have been using Avast and Avira free but none of these allow you to choose to add a white-list a file when there is a detection, in the best case scenario you get a popup but none of the options is whitelist or allow...

Do you know a free AV able to do this or any trick to make Avira or Avast to behave in this way?

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

3. fax

fax Registered Member

Uuuhm... There must be an option in the settings to change the standard behaviour on detection. ZoneAlarm+AV free has it (and it will prompt users to allow once, allow always, delete, etc.)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Can't you, with Avast, restore from quarantine and thus automatically whitelist it?

5. guest

guest Guest

Thanks for the tips but I was looking a way to do it directly from the popup although if there is no a good alternative I will end up doing this.

6. guest

guest Guest

I donn't think so, it gets restored and then detected again like avira does. And avast allows you to whitelist a route/folder but not files.

And avira doesn't allow you either to exclude a file, they talk about processes but if the file is not a process?
    https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1091

I will end up using Comodo and I don't want to :sick:

7. LunarWolf

LunarWolf Registered Member

Simple. Disable avast shield, restore from quarantine, add it to exclusion and it won't be detected again.
    I know Q360TS/TSE let you do that but you will need to restore from quarantine first. Then a popup will ask add to exclusion? Just click yes.

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You can do it with 360TS/TSE. You just have to configure it to prompt when a threat if found. When the prompt is shown upon detection, there will be the option to ignore and whitelist the file.

You can do the same with nProtect Anti-Virus v4, which is the antivirus I'm currently using. It is also free.

9. guest

guest Guest

Bitdefender doesnt allow it either, it deletes eicar file without a popup or an alert. It looks like epidemic not having this basic setting

10. ky331

ky331 Registered Member

Avast's quarantine DOES offer the choice (via RIGHT-click menu) to
    RESTORE (file to its original location) AND ADD TO EXCLUSIONS.
    (It also has a "simple" restore option, withOUT adding to exclusions list... in which case, that file will be quarantined again... unless, for example, it was a False Positive, which avast has since corrected in the interim.)

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Another option is Tencent PC Manager. It automtically quarantines files, but when it detects a threat you get a popup which gives you the option to restore and whitelist the file that was just quarantined,

12. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Panda free allows an option to whitelist detection's permanently....I get annoyed with AV's that allow you to ignore only to immediately reflag them!

13. haakon

haakon Guest

You can always demand a refund. :D

14. guest

guest Guest

I have a 6 month trial of bitedender
    I might try panda, I would like to avoid comodo av

15. guest

guest Guest

16. guest

guest Guest

@guest what you are asking is a common feature from HIPS, BB and AE , AVs rarely uses it.

for example NVT ERP do exactly what you want (alert mode).

17. guest

guest Guest

I am asking for a notification when malware is detected with quarantine delete ignore.
    Many av have them maybe not by default but is not the case of avira avast or bitdefender.

But I think I can live with avast and add the exclusions manually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.