A free alternative to Returnil that just simply works?

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Valder, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valder

Valder Registered Member

Returnil became a bloatware. Is there a simple free alternative that just works?

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

3. Valder

Valder Registered Member

Thanks!

It seems legit.

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Some things to keep in mind:

1. RSS IS NOT bloatware as that implies it is some type of cobbled together solution AKA Symantec in the early 00's. Each component part is designed to be an integrated protection for a vertical, layered approach to PC security.

2. WS-TF is application based whereas RSS/RVS are disk based with an inherently higher level of security.

3. The Virus Guard component CAN be deactivated if required

The objective of RSS is to provide a one stop vertical layering solution where you do not have to add, but can if you wish, other security solutions for specific needs not covered by RSS but you should take the time to add non-redundant security applications for the best performance.

Mike

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

It is legit and Your welcome.

6. Valder

Valder Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Coldmoon... I just had so many problems with Returnil and now I feel free with this simpler solution. Cheers!

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have had problems too with Returnil 2011. I just tried and uninstalled two 2011 versions, and then I reinstalled rsv_2010_prv version 3.1.8774.5254_REL and it is working just fine.

With the 2011 versions, files open very sluggishly. Sometimes I have to click on the browser icon 3 times just to get it to open. But with the 2010 version from 5/9/2010 everythinig works great!......EXCEPT...

The "wipe all disk changes" option will not stay checked. It will not stay checked on any of the versions that I have recently tried, so it's not just this version. The only thing I can think of that may be interfering is that I downloaded and ran Microsoft Fix It to clear the pagefile at shutdown. Microsoft Fix it 50463 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834

I don't know if this is the problem because I cannot figure out how to reverse it. There is no Microsoft fix it listed in programs. But anyway, no matter how many times I check it, after reboot it is unchecked.

8. Coldmoon

Hi caspian,
    Your description looks like a database issue with the client. What I suggest is the following:

1. Open C:\ProgramData\Returnil\RVS3
    2. Hold that for the moment and then open component services in Windows and stop the RVSMONBL service
    3. Go back to the directory in #1 and delete all *.rdb files
    4. Restart your computer

You will probably need to re-register the client after the restart if you have a copy of Pro so send me a PM with your License Number and I will clear the previous assignment at the server. As soon as this is done I will shoot you a reply and you can re-register the client.

After the client shows as registered, check to verify the option remains checked in the GUI.

Mike

9. caspian

Okay I found Component Services by entering %windir%\system32\comexp.msc. This is what I found. Is this it? Do I just click "Stop"?

ScreenShot001.jpg

And then I just go through and delete every file that ends in rdb and then restart?

ScreenShot003.jpg

I haven't registered anything. I skipped registration and chose Free. The setup file is labeled rvs_2010_prv and under the Status tab, it gives me product version 3.1.8774.5254_REL. So do I need to do anything after restart?

This reply may seem redundant but I don't have the slightest idea as to what Component Services is and I have never gone into files and altered anything. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing so I just need to make sure that I am doing this correctly. Thanks for the help. Caspian

10. caspian

One one question. Should I do this with Returnil enabled or disabled?

11. Coldmoon

Make sure the Virtual Mode is deactivated and then stop the service (yes, the core service). Next, delete the *.rdb files and restart.

12. caspian

I tried it and it did not work. Every time that I restart it comes back unchecked. The only thing that is different on my computer is Microsoft Security Essentials, and Microsoft Fix It to clear the pagefile. I suspect that it is the Fix It http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834. Does that seem possible? I don't know what else it could be.

13. Coldmoon

The pagefile, like the hibernation file is not effected by RSS/RVS virtualization so I am somewhat skeptical of a problem from the use of a Fix It change. Shoot us an e-mail with the usual logs so I can have the engineers take a look to see why this is happening even though there was a database reset...

Thanks
    Mike

14. caspian

Hi Mike. Thanks for the reply. How do I find the user logs and what email should I send them to? Thanks, Caspian

15. Coldmoon

16. Coldmoon

Hi caspian,
    One question that slipped my mind at the time is whether you used the "Apply" button after making the settings change...

17. caspian

Yes I did click the apply button on the previous 2 versions and waited until it accepted the change. On the last version that I installed, 2010, there is no apply button. Just an Okay button.

I wanted to also mention that on my laptop, the wipe all disk changes DOES remain checked. It's working just fine. And I am using Returnil System Safe 2011 Version 3.2.10351.5418-REL3. I am having no problems whatsoever. Both computers are vista. But the desktop is Vista 64 bit. The laptop is 32 bit.

I did send the logs to tech support. I am out of town right now but I will check the email periodically. Thanks for your help.

18. Coldmoon

Hi caspian,
    See your ticket. The lead has been unsuccessful in reproducing your report in the lab and has suggested new instructions by requesting a copy of the "current" database file to try and force the issue to get to the root cause on his test system.

Mike

19. caspian

Thanks Mike. I saw that. I am traveling but will follow up as soon as I get home. Thanks for the support.

20. Coldmoon

We have the file and will follow up as soon as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.