A few VPN questions from a new User

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by NewVPNuser84, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewVPNuser84

NewVPNuser84 Registered Member

Hey all,

I have a few VPN questions. I recently purchased VPN4all and I am extremely happy with it. I did have a few questions, however.

1.) I really enjoy the Chrome Browser, but am concerned about privacy. As Google is said to have removed the Unique ID, do I have to be concerned about privacy using this browser- in particular when file sharing? What is the safest browser to use?

2.) The VPN software is currently on my laptop. I have a wireless connection to my desktop, which is a DSL (comcast) connection without a VPN. Is this a privacy concern?

Thank you very much

-NewVPNuser84

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. NewVPNuser84

NewVPNuser84 Registered Member

anyone....?

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I think you can tell Chrome not to save cookies. I use Firefox. And in Firefox you have to specifically tell it not to accept third party cookies and not to remember browsing history at all. As shown here:

ScreenShot003.jpg

And in settings, notice that I had to check everything to clear when I close Firefox.

ScreenShot004.jpg

And under clear recent history, I had to go into the dropdown menu and choose "everything".

ScreenShot005.jpg

But that's not good enough. I had to add Better Privacy and tell it to delete flash cookies. In Better Privacy, I added the flash cookie option to check for deletion, as you can see above. Flash cookies have been able to slip by Ccleaner and Firefox settings. http://www.xup.in/pic,16519113/ScreenShot006.jpg

But to really add that final protection, use your browser sandboxed with Sandboxie and nothing that happened will persist once you delete the Sandbox. No cookie will escape it.

From all that I know, and I know a lot because I am really special (teasing:argh: ), if it is a good VPN, DSL is not a problem. But a satellite connection is another story. A satellite connection is a problem while using a VPN.

4. box750

box750 Registered Member

Something to note is that when you visit VPN4All with a US IP the price is $9.99 when you visit it with a EU IP the price becomes €9.99, but the dollar and the Euro exchange rate is not 1/1, Europeans end up paying more, couldn't they bill everyone with the same currency (dollars or anything else) like all others VPN do?. Pricing isn't too fair for people in the EU.

I like the Opera browser, but for a Chrome user I would say Comodo Dragon is safer, it is meant to be an improved Chrome browser with extra privacy features like no unique ID.

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

What matters is your router, the Internet gate, just make sure that your Wifi router is using encryption like WPA2 or WPA. Regarding the ad-hoc wireless connection to your desktop you will need to be careful not to transfer confidential files inadvertently to the desktop but other than that I think it is OK.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Something odd about opera. When I use it with my VPN it appears to re-route the DNS to them. IP locating websites show an Opera IP 80.239.242.142 mostly. A couple of them listed both the Opera and the VPN. Geobytes was not fooled and listed the VPN only. http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm And when I did the DNS test at this website it only showed Opera's IP.

https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

6. box750

box750 Registered Member

That is because you have Opera Turbo enabled caspian, this is meant to be useful for mobile devices or people with limited bandwidth and speed.

When Opera Turbo is enabled all of your Internet traffic will go through Opera servers and get cached, instead of fetching the website it will fetch it from its server cache reducing time and bandwidth, you can turn this feature off easily.

On the desktop version look at the logo located on the left hand side at the bottom, next to Opera link and Opera Unite logos there is a small logo called Opera Turbo, click on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.