a few questions about TDS-3

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by the Tester, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

HI.I downloaded and installed TDS-3.That went well.I've been checking it out,and I am impressed.Never seen anything like this program!!!My biggest questions:If I register TDS-3,when I would update, is it like a "live update"?Or would I have to download and install the radius update and server list into the TDS folder.(I'm not proficient at that at all!)I have TDS-3 installed in "program files".This is on Windows XP home edition.Another question:I have a "double extensions file,"if I were to delete that file is there a backup feature?I'm using it cautiously,it is a little intimidating!The things I don't understand yet,I won't use.Just in the very short time that I have tried it I can see what all the reviews are about!You guys really packed TDS-3 with a lot of tools!The internet tools(whois,port checkers,etc..)alone are awesome!I think I could "grow into" this program with a little practice and a lot of study.I just want to understand how the updates would work and how "selective" I have to be in deleting "suspicious" files.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi the Tester,

Nice choice ;)

1) after registering, you'll receive a reg key which has to be copied into the TDS directory (make a separate copy on floppy for backup reasons);
    2) after registering, all that's needed is clicking on the taskbar: TDS > Update TDS Database Now!. The latest update (if there is one) will be grabbed and installed automaticly. No need to restart the system.
    3) enable execprot after registering as well (same drop down menu from the taskbar).
    4) As for de double extension file: just add this one to the exclusion list, and TDS will skip this one while scanning.
    5) as for (real) suspicious files: just send the to support for investigation.

If your pleased with TDS3 - be assured you will be even more when TDS4 arrives ;).

regards.

paul

3. the Tester

Thanks Paul. Updating as a registered user sounds easy!I read about the execprot feature.(another tool I haven't seen before).The double extension file is one of those built-in H/P "services".Spybot fixed it so,that's why I'm not sure what to do with it.I'll keep my eye on it for a while.I think that I'll check out my budget.

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

My pleasure ;). Don't hesitate to ask questions left or new ones.

regards.

paul

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi the Tester,
    Welcome here! See you're testing out TDS at the moment with great pleasure. It has so much in stock for us to play with, not in the last place the possibility to create and run own scripts with it, which feature i used for some fun scripts, but also to demonstrate and try out some scripting possibilities.
    In the private (registered operators only) forum we've worked together on several scripts and some people made real wonderful work with that. You can see some examples in the TDS directory, if you click on the TDS taskbar > SS3 > Load script > hunt in the TDS directory for Scripts > and look around and see what you can run. Just to name an example.
    At the moment i use the Network > TCP Port Listen > fill in port # 137 > click listen, and my firewall asks me to allow internet access or allow to use it as a server, depends on my feelings what i choose; you can minimize the thing and work on.
    With this i notice my FW is not logging all those hundreds of UDP 137 port scans and my system is rather peaceful. This you might like to try out if you see a difference in your FW logfile with this. If there come other ports too popular you change for that one for some time.

Just a few examples. On top of this TDS forum are very clear recommendations for configuration, all depends on own ideas and circumstances of course.

Registered users have the possibility for an automated update of the databases, in case they forgot to do so daily themselves. There is so much more.............

6. the Tester

Thanks for the tips Jooske.While I know very little about scripts,that's something I want to learn about.I have read the posts about recent port 137 activity.What bothered me was the fact that I don't have an easy or effective way to monitor ports.I have a few little programs and my firewall.But TDS-3 has all the tools I was looking for and some I hadn't thought of.No doubt TDS-3 will give me layered protection,which I like.To be honest,I was a little concerned about the size of TDS-3.But after seeing what is included in the program,I know TDS-3 will allow me to unload some programs that I will no longer need.After testing it,the decision was easy.It also helps knowing about the support here at wilders.I mailed a money order to Diamond CS.I'll keep studying it while I wait for the key.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Congratulations with the best security buy you just made!
    It's a program in which one grows and feels comfortable, learning on the stage using it.
    Once your key installed and you'll see even more in the private forum.
    I created my fun scripts mainly using the MSagent possibilities, for which one needs to be msagent ready and have the character Genie in the chars folder.
    (see all about it in the various threads in these TDS forums).
    The attraction of using the agents in scripting is one sees immediately results. You might like to try in the scripts folder the User Submitted > Jooske > Innerpeace and then you know immediately if you need to install more.
    (www.microsoft.com/msagent )
    For sure this gives lots of new dimensions to the nicest security tool.

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Welcome Tester.
    Hopefully you will also contribute to the TDS private forum.
    As Jooske rightly states a visit to the TDS forum will increase your knowledge very quickly and allow you to take advantage of a wealth of TDS & general security information.

Have fun - Pilli

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The registration key will increase and unlock several new possibilities too, including the Exec protection! And not to forget the larger scripts, which you might have to unzip still, if you look in the Screx in Scripts. I'm not going to explain anything about that here, that is all in the private forum! :)
    Hope to see you there soon!
    Enjoy the weekend!

10. the Tester

Thanks Pilli and Jooske.I'm looking forward to the private forum.I know I will learn a lot from the experienced TDS users(pros).I can only figure out so much "fiddling" with TDS.Hanging out here and a few other forums has educated me a lot about security and related programs.I have checked out the TDS posts in the past.The support is excellent and educational.It always helps to know that someone has the answers to questions that may come up when you start using a program as versatile/intricate as TDS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.