A few questions about replacing HDD

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Nabu, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nabu

Nabu Registered Member

What happens if I replace my hard disk drive with a different brand (same properties: SATA2,AHCI,NCQ etc.) I think, the PM doesn't touch the remaining part of the new drive -when copying the OS partition from my backup- and leaves it unallocated, so that I could resize C and create my new partitions on the new drive.

Should I make a backup of MBR as well in this scenario? Are there any potential problems?

Thanks in advance.

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

You should copy the entire disk to the new one, or backup the entire disk(including the MBR) to ensure a proper boot. Also, the software can easily expand the partitions to fill the the entire new hard disk in the same operation. If you have any trouble with this part you can use the redistribute free space wizard to re-expand the partition after it is completed as well.

You shouldn't have any issues whatsoever, but let us know how it goes :)

3. Nabu

Nabu Registered Member

Thanks for the prompt answer. But there are too much partitions with unnecessary files for OS itself (Pictures,documents,downloads etc. I already backed up these files to my external drive!).

Why do I need to backup/copy the entire disk with all partitions again if I don't want to have the partitions other than the OS's one including MBR? To prevent the possible registry leftovers?

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

You can backup and restore only the systems partition. But you should restore it to a disk with the same partition layout as the old one. That is, if the system partition is the third primary partition in the old disk (as is the case in the Dell computer I am using now), it should be restored to the third primary partition in the new disk.
    Otherwise, boot problems may arise after you restore the partition. Of course, if you know how to handle these problems, the partition layout is inmaterial.
    And you do not need to backup the MBR, just create a new standard one in the new disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.