A few doubts... :)

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by arjunned, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

A few questions i have:

1. Anti-executable - When this feature is turned on, does it also prevent executables from usb drives from executing? Also, Does this feature still function when System Safe is turned OFF?

2. Running games - Say I run a game when system safe is ON. If play i play the game upto a certain point, save and exit, would the saved games be copied to the real system when i save the files using the File Manager.
    Eg: The saved game files for BioShock 2 are located at C:/User/*name*/Documents/BioShock2. If i have added just this folder to the File Manager, would clicking Save Files copy all contents of this folder (inc. subfolders) to the real system?

3. Also, there is an option called "update Selected", in the context menu of the tray icon. What does it do?

I have a few more question. Cant really remember them rite now. Will post them as soon as i do. :p

Cheers.

PS:- big thanks for the giveaway! :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi arjunned and welcome to the forums :)

Yes and yes.

You will need to add the files individually. Adding the folder only saves the folder as RVS sees files and folders as different objects. We will be introducing exclusions in a future version so in the interim, you can do as I describe or change the default save location for the game to a non-system disk or partition.

This option forces the File Manager to save whatever is in the list to the real disk, but only if that list item has changed since the last save.

Mike

3. arjunned

So if i add ONE folder to the File Manager, it means that only contents of that particular folder will get copied to the real disk, and not subfolders (contained within the excluded folder)? Or am i getting it completely wrong?

Thanks Mike.

4. Coldmoon

No, it means that only the folder itself will be saved to disk, not its contents or sub-folders. I know it is a bit inconvenient, but was designed to make exploiting a commit to disk that much more difficult for malware.

We will be introducing a more intuitive file/folder exclusion feature in the future that should make this process easier for the user.

Mike

5. arjunned

Thanks again for clarifying Mike.

I've got everything setup the way i want it. I love my new setup! :)

BTW, any ETA on the new release with improved file/folder exclusions (+ new features)? :D

Cheers!

6. Coldmoon

We should be introducing it in the 3.2 series which has just entered the private Beta stage. It has some rough edges (see post in the Beta forum) so the first round is dedicated to verifying and stressing its feature sets before we move to the public testing phase.

I believe you should get a chance to take it for a test run in the next month or so...

Mike

7. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

It is my understanding the user still has to hit the 'Save Files' button for the files/folders to be saved to the real disk. Why is this necessary? Can this step be eliminated in the future?
    Thanks.

8. Coldmoon

As said previously, the File Manager is designed to work in a way that makes it extremely difficult for malware to exploit. When exclusions are introduced and proven stable, we will be retiring the FM in favor of that method...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.