a Dr.Web thread, yes... from me *lol*

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by C.S.J, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

I was just curious about nod32 really, and was 'wondering' about good prices.

i dont think i need nod32, infact i know i dont.... as i have my drweb and mcafee to fall back on still.

but my with my drweb being a 3yr licence, i might want a change for a little while for bordem sake and nod is good for that :)

2. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Do expect an AV to be entertaining? If you have no issues with Dr Web why don't stick with them?! Or do you wanna just complain about other AV's and then go back to them? I really don't understand that how people can change security software just because they feel "bored". That's not a game where you have to get another one when you finished the last level!

3. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

People have a lot of money to burn nowadays. ;)

tD

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

of course you have a point, but who are you to tell me what i can and cant use? :D

seen as my drweb is just in beta and has been for a while and tends to be for a while longer to, why should i not play around with others, to see whats out there.

on another note, i must say GDATA's AVK 2007 was much improved to 2006
    :isay:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

And who are you to tell the Inspector that he can't yank your string about your foibles?:D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    By the way... When I get bored, I don't buy a new antivirus. Instead, I go to a barber shop and watch haircuts. Or I sit in the front yard & watch the ground crack (we're having a minor drought here in Hawaii).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Meanwhile, back at the thread... there is NO antivirus that updates as quickly & smoothly as DrWeb.

Also....... DrWeb has a very good looking icon for my system tray. I LUV my little green spider -- I simply cannot over-emphasize how crucially important that is.:-* :blink::shifty:

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think it has become fairly evident that times have changed. You can get new licences for AVs from beta testing, discounts,etc. So CSJ is only one of a lot of us who are going to do what we want, when we want. I also understand IC point of view but brand loyality went out the door as prices drop and/or became free. In the end I guess it is not right but even though he feels there are not any reliable testers, folks like IBK are still the avenue to keeping us loyal to our products. A catch-22 but in reverse.

7. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

That's me too; that's me too. I have licensed copies of seven different AV products right now; it keeps my options open.

Besides, I didn't like this thread turning (in my humble but accurate opinion) into a personal attack on Chris.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im not to worried :)

ive sold all my av licences... almost now.

i have drweb, and mcafee... but mcafee is new, and only arrived last week or so as i got it free with my new ISP.

so only 1 av that ive purchased, still loyal etc (see IC?)

however, i have been trialing the competition while the doctor is in beta and some have definatly improved on their last versions, i thought gdata was a big step up, although i still find it basic, it certainly does the job, default settings are max while i also like (aswell as norton)

i was looking at bitdefender, but after seeing their '2008 range' i was put off.
    and of course nod32, which works as it always did.

anyway, i dont mind people giving the digs, i do what i want and install what i like on my machine, its very easy to do when one has rollbackrx pro :)

9. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Bellgamin,
    I do so much like that you often bring some of these discussions back into perspective! I truly do enjoy your comments!
    Having said that, let me add that I--like many--find it very attractive sometimes to try out different programs--including a few a/v's. Let's face it, for those of us who don't make a living by designing/creating anti-virus programs, there are a lot of really interesting or intriguing programs to try ("play with," if you will). From what I have seen, lots of very, very sophisticated and advanced users do this (I distinctly do not fit in this category!), so they know what they are doing. It's fun! And let me finally add that I am currently using Dr. Web 4.44 on my laptop, and it is working very well. As you said, nothing updates as smoothly and quickly as Dr. Web! Sorry if I posted this response in the wrong spot--other than appreciating your comments, I am not directing this to you, personally!

10. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I recently sent a message to Dr Web support, and essentially told them that they are beginning to lose customers because of their slow production schedule. I was told that my coments had been forwarded to a manager and that we could expect version 4.44 in September.

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

No big problem it is called robbing the other guy of market share. It is a business decision in which the customer is the big winner. One should not make these assumptions (must be a big problem :p ):thumbd:

As far as ISP free offering for free, who knows what kind of arrangements have been made again who cares the customer is the winner. :)

12. mercurie

I have some of the symptons of the disease the good Inspector described. But the lack of money to burn in my household, as mentioned by my friend Technodrome, is the medication that keeps it in check. :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  13. mercurie

McAfee Suite here too and please note the resources on this old PC I am using it on in my sig. Like I said above I need to save my money. ;)

Like a new machine maybe. :D

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Good post, n8! Ohhhh, if only they truly do *git er done*:D

15. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I hope so too. I was told that there is not timetable for version 5. I'm not sure what to make of that, but there have been component updates in 4.44. Let's hope they get the kinks works out soon.

P.S. Larry would be proud! :)

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

taking their info as hearsay.

4.44 was due for release in july, then august and i aswell got told september a few weeks ago.

it will arrive when they are happy with it, thats the best we can all hope for.

17. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi mercurie.

I'm still running the McAfee Suite, but I'm leaning towards removing it. It's a little slower to load at initial start up on my computer compared to NOD32 and Kerio 4, but not that bad. I'm just not sure I like the way the GUI is set up.

18. mercurie

Graystoke,
    I agree with your points.

It is slower on start up then my old set up too.

I also find the GUI harder to navigate then most other Suites I have used. With McAfee Suite it is almost like. "trust us to make sure everything is as it should be". I like to see front and center when was it last updated. What was the result of the scan. These things go on in the back ground. You have to drill down a little to see these things.

More on topic: one day I intend to try Dr. Web too. Just to see if that suits my needs. So threads like these are helpful. ;)

19. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

mercurie,

I agree with you there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.