A Direct Installation Monitor?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by squinteyes, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squinteyes

squinteyes Registered Member

Ive been thinking off downloading some of the free games from gamehouse.com but they want to directly install them which kinda makes me a little nervous not knowing where all the files might be going.

Are there any free monitors that "watch" over these types of installations?I'm not asking about in/uninstallers such as Total Uninstall,Revo or Ashampoo's.

All replies will be greatly appreciated!

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Although you'll probably receive a direct recommendation, you can look through these for the time being. Check this too!

3. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Total Uninstal might be fine ,not sure why you're against it,or better you could try sandboxie,and see what is created.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I normally use Inctrl5 to monitor installs. I don't know if or how well it works with XP and newer systems. I'm running 98 and 2K. It's basically an "unzip and use" type of install so it shouldn't be a problem to try on a newer OS. Inctrl5 takes a "snapshot" of your system before the install, then takes another after. It then lists all registry changes and all new, modified, and deleted files/folders. The results can be saved to file as text, html, and csv. It also has a "2 stage mode" which can monitor changes made by websites and online games.

Whatever option you decide on, don't limit the monitoring to the install process. Some apps will download and install more when first launched. It's entirely possible for an installer to be clean, then infect your system with material downloaded when it's launched.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

When I install an app, my main concern is how that program impacted the Registry and to that extent, I use RegShot, a small utility that's super simple to use.

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I use these four programs to check for system changes from prior snapshot:
    NIS Filecheck - file changes by contents
    HijackThis
    Autoruns
    What's Running

Additionally, you may be interested in SpyMe Tools, which lists registry or file changes between snapshots (file comparision done by metadata, not contents).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.