A couple of questions about OA Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by junkescott, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junkescott

junkescott Registered Member

Hi, I just installed AO Free, and having a couple issues with it, and couldn't really find the answers I needed on the AO boards or this one. First, I was wondering why my computer makes this connection every once in a while:

UDP <- 192.168.1.100:random port, 24.25.5.148:53
    Passed by access list (57/60)

I know that it is to my DNS server, but I'm behind a router, and I had assumed that my computer would pass along names to my router to be resolved, not contact a DNS server itself. Also, sometimes it says it is svchost.exe making the connection, and other times no program is listed, like the one I pasted.

Also, I have given steam.exe permissions to run in AO, and the only other permission it has is to create executables (by default, for whatever reason.) However, when I launched a game from it (TF2, hl2.exe), it didn't ask for permissions to run it, or for it to have internet access. I have it so that trusted applications get to access internet, but I don't see how hl2.exe was given trusted status. Thanks in advance for anyone who is familiar with AO and know's why this is happening!

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Re: A couple of questions about AO Free

Sorry, but what is AO?

3. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

I think he's talking about OA ? Online Armor ?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Correct, at least I'm assuming you are correct given a user with the same user name has posted @ the tallemu forum with same subject matter.

As such the title here has been fixed.

5. junkescott

junkescott Registered Member

Hey, yes it is Online Armor, I thought it was a pretty popular firewall? I got the idea to try it from these forums. And yes, that is my thread there as well, but I couldn't really find the answers I was looking for. Sorry for the confusion!

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Have a look at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=142036

In a setup where you have DNS service set off, each application will have a rule to resolve addresses. Best to insert the actual ip of your ISP in each rule. OA has a white list of trusted applications that grant trusted status for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.