A closer look at just how badly Windows 8.x is failing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Compu KTed, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

exact, where i live actually (Vietnam) tablets and wide screen smartphones are more popular than desktop or even laptops, and they have a decent price. People here can connect to free wifi networks almost in every coffee shops/bars/restaurants, so they bring their device all the time with them. The impact on PC sales is visible , i used to fix/optimize PCs for friends and some customers but now they mostly come to see me to install security softs in their tablets/smartphones...

i dont think so , people buy PCs because they need PCs for working/gaming, the OS choice is not a big consideration.

2. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

No Windows 8.1 Update 3 Coming, As Microsoft Wants to Bury Windows 8

People close to the matter hinted in the past that a third update for Windows 8.1, which could
    be simply called Windows 8.1 Update 3, might also get to see daylight, with some sources
    saying that early 2015 could witness the debut of this new version.

Russian leaker WZor, on the other hand, believes that this isn’t the case, as the software
    giant is no longer planning to release a potential Windows 8.1 Update 3.

The end will come for Windows 8 in mid-August when Microsoft is scheduled to unveil Windows
    8.1 Update 2, with the company then planning to focus exclusively on smaller updates and
    move the hard work to Windows 9.

softpedia

3. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

So, Windows 9 is on the way? :eek:

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Frankly, after trying Windows 8.1 in a virtual machine, I hope windows 8.1 one is a huge disaster for microsoft. I found the having to give Microsoft so much information to just get it up and running so intrusive, it was disgusting. Especially given their track record on privacy. They need a bloody nose to teach them a lesson.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

What info did you have to give them? I never gave them any info and OS is running with no problem :doubt:

6. Peter2150

It wouldn't let me get passed creating an account, and it wanted an Email. Why on earth do I need to give them an email address to install their operating system. This wasn't an OEM version, I wonder if that matters. But it was a huge turn off to me.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I hope you don't expect that this is the thing about it that is going to change moving forward. They will bring back some sort of start menu to silence the critics of that issue, but I doubt little else will change. Also, if they really wanted your email address, they could extract it without your knowledge anyway. Privacy issues will get far worse before they get any better.

9. Minimalist

OK, I forgot about that. Yes as stapp explained you can create local account, which is a little hidden option. I wonder why? :D

10. Peter2150

Thanks guys and gals. Good to know about the local account. Didn't see enough to make me want to play further. Gosh I love MS.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You can create a local account, but then you can't use the App Store. Setting up a customer's machine I ran into the problem where after I created a local account I couldn't get to the Windows 8.1 Update in the App Store. I didn't have time to find out if there's a workaround for this. Another problem with using an MS online account is it requires a password to log in to Windows. Many people don't want to have to enter a password just to get to the desktop. They are also terrible at remembering passwords and find themselves locked out of the computer.

12. Minimalist

Yes that's true but I still didn't find any good reason to use App Store.

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

You don't need to use a Microsoft account to get the Windows 8.1 update at the App store, but you do need to make sure all previous updates are applied first or it may not be offered at the store.

14. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Correct, according to my experience.

15. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I thought this stuff was supposed to be getting easier?

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Personal opinion: Neither Vista sucked so bad, nor does Windows 8. The 8.1 update fixed things to a point that no one should have many issues anymore. The new start menu is actually quite convenient for a variety of reasons. I think people are just not that much into change. Windows 2000 was never adopted well in the consumer space either though it was the first NT kernel based windows that supported a full multimedia experience (DirectX). Windows XP was the one that got popular. Guess which kernel that was based on? Yeah, that's right....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.